Europe > Baltic states > Latvia > Kurzeme
Kurzeme is the westernmost region of Latvia, along the Baltic Sea.
- Kuldīga (capital of Duchy of Courland, Venice of Latvia, wooden architecture, red-tile roofs, bridges, cobbled streets.)
- Talsi (a town on nine hills. Old town, cobbled streets, picturesque hills, monument "Kokletajs"(Kokle player), lake, walking trails.)
During the period of Soviet occupation the coastline was a restricted military area, because it was easy to leave the country on a boat. One could reach Pelēkā kāpa if one didn't leave footprints on the sand. To get around this problem locals wore tin cans under their shoes.
- 1 Kaive oak (Kaives ozols, Oak of Ancestors), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the biggest oak in Baltics. It's older than 1000 years. 10 m round.
- 2 Dunduri meadows (Dunduru pļavas), ☏ , email@example.com. Surrounded by forests these fields in Ķemeru national park are a nice place to visit and observe wild horses and bulls.
- 3 The Great Kemeri Moorland (Lielais Ķemeru tīrelis), Slampes pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Kemeri National Park, extensive moorland, moorland lakes, a wooden footbridge, viewing tower, bird-watching, moss, cranberries, fierce plants.
- 4 Riezupe Sand Caves (Riežupes smilšu alas), Rumbas pagasts, ☏ , , email@example.com. Longest underground cave labyrinth in the Baltics, white sandstone, nature park, tours.
- 5 Lake Engure Nature Park (Engures ezera dabas parks), Engures pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Orchid trail, bird-watching towers, coastal meadows, wild cows and horses, information stand.
- 6 Venta Waterfall, Kuldīga, ☏ , email@example.com. Widest natural waterfall in Europe, passage over the River Venta, flying fish, bathing ground, brick bridge.
- 7 Ventspils Blue Flag Beach (Ventspils Zilā karoga pludmale), Ventspils, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A fully facilitated white sand beach with broad dune belt, viewing tower, pier promenade, special areas for surfers and nudists.
- 8 Seaside Park with Anchor and Jungle Trail (Jūrmalas parks ar Enkuru taku un Džungļu taku), Ventspils, ☏ , email@example.com. A large collection of huge anchors, Jungle Trail with footbridges, bridges, wooden animal sculptures, playgrounds and picnic places.
- 9 Southern Pier (Dienvidu mols), Ventspils, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Pier promenade, sculpture "Cow-Sailor", 19 m high viewing tower, sightseeing object – fishing boat and chain chair.
- 10 Pūrciems White Dune (Pūrciema Baltā kāpa), Rojas pagasts, ☏ , email@example.com. Dune at the bank of the River Pilsupe, 20 m high, nature trail, wooden footbridges, viewing platforms, resting places, parking lot.
- 11 Kaltene Stony Seaside and Bird-Watching Tower, Rojas pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Stony seashore, nature trails, huge stone stacks, bird-watching platforms, resting places.
- 12 Slitere National Park (Slīteres nacionālais parks), Dundagas pagasts, ☏ , email@example.com. Nature trails, bicycle routes, Livonian shore, Slītere lighthouse, Blue hills, guides, tours, bird-watching.
- 13 Cape Kolka (Kolkasrags), Kolkas pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Cape, lighthouse on an artificial island, sandbank, bird-watching, café, boat rental, smoked fish, fishermen villages.
- 14 Small domestic animals at the farm "Apsisi"., Ķūļciema pagasts, ☏ , , email@example.com. Pheasants, fowl, crested ducks, geese, peacocks, rabbits, rabbit caves, bees, recreation for families with children, lodging.
- 15 Pedvale Open-Air Art Museum, Sabile, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Art expositions, modern art and installations in nature park, open-air workshops, open-air exhibitions, walking trails, cafés, lodging.
- 16 Tukums town, Tukums, ☏ , email@example.com. Tukums is the town of roses. Small town, old town, cobbled streets, artists, museums, creative workshops, roses, fountain, Katrina of Tukums, castles.
- 17 Jaunmokas Castle, Tumes pagasts, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Forestry museum, guide, castle interior, the room of columns, lodging, horse-drawn carriage rides, the centre of Latvian ornament, herbal teas.
- 18 Ostgals, Ventspils, ☏ , email@example.com. Ancient fishermen's village (mid 19th century) currently a part of the city, a national cultural and historical monument.
- 19 Oviši Lighthouse (Ovišu bāka), Tārgales pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Oldest navigation building (1814) in Latvia with a 37 m high tower and a lighthouse history exposition at the seashore.
- 20 Karosta Prison, Liepāja, ☏ , email@example.com. Military heritage, show, prison cells, prison buffet, tours, lodging, museum, adventures.
- 21 Northern Forts, Liepāja, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Military heritage, tours with torches, underground labyrinths, fortifications, seashore, history of Karosta.
Culture and traditions
- 22 The House of Craftsmen, Liepāja, ☏ , email@example.com. Craftsmen workshops, demonstrations of crafts, exhibitions, the longest amber necklace in Latvia.
- 23 Ventspils House of Crafts, Ventspils, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Old school building (1763) with and exhibition hall and a craft shop, with weaving, ceramics and retro photo workshops and a 19th century classroom.
- 24 Seaside Open-Air Museum, Ventspils, ☏ , email@example.com. Museum of maritime fishing with ancient houses, a windmill, smokehouse, mesh huts, barns and a spacious boat, exposition of anchors and the history of narrow-gauge railway.
- 25 Roja Marine Fisheries Museum, Rojas pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Fishermen traditions, tools, souvenirs, pier, beach, boat tours, yacht harbour, horseback rides, golf in the meadows.
- 26 Museum of Latvian Agriculture, Talsi, ☏ , , email@example.com. 19–20th century household tools, agriculture machinery, exhibitions, events, library, tours.
- 27 The oldest wooden house in Kurzeme, Kuldīga, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Wooden architecture, second part of 1630s, red-tile roof, splendid weather-vane, bridge of Venice of Kuldiga, lodging.
- 28 Livonian Folk House, Kolkas pagasts, ☏ , , email@example.com. The only Livonian folk house in the world, Livonian culture, exhibitions, collection of household objects, celebration of Livonian holidays.
- 29 Folklore Trail "Jankalni", Lībagu pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Ornaments of ancestors, Latvian deities, Latvian food, folksongs, labyrinth, countryside bathhouse, lodging.
- 30 Latvian Dairy Museum, Rudbāržu pagasts, ☏ , , email@example.com. Milking a cow, churning butter, tasting cheese, games, attractions, manor.
- 31 Jaunpils Castle, Jaunpils pagasts, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Medieval castle, medieval tavern, medieval celebrations, dramatized tours, attractions, museum.
- 32 Pastarins Museum, Zentenes pagasts, ☏ , , email@example.com. Baking bread, churning butter, field work, countryside goodies, games, nature trail, E. Birznieks-Upitis, Pastarins.
- 33 Sweets Tour in Saldus #1, Saldus, ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sweets production facilities, milk toffee "Gotiņa", cakes, honey, bread, degustation, baking pasties.
- 34 Sweets Tour in Saldus #2, Kuldīgas šoseja 4, Druva, Saldus pagasts, Saldus novads, LV-3862, ☏ , email@example.com. 8.00-16.00. Sweets production facilities, ice-cream.
- 35 Sock pub (Zeķu krogs), Sabile, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Socks, toys, drawings, ancient tools, ties, motorcycles, collection of music recordings, tasting of home-made wines.
- 36 Medieval Farm "Niedru lija", Jaunpils pagasts, ☏ , email@example.com. Medieval games, coin minting, school of knights, archery, spears, axe throwing, medieval meals, castle.
- 37 Zviedru cepure, Matkules pagasts, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Rodelling track, skiing, snowboarding, horseback rides, lodging, café, ancient Abava valley, recreation for families with children.
- Kurzeme coastline: Rīga – Engure – Roja – Kolka – Ventspils – Jūrkalne – Pāvilosta – Liepāja – Nīca. A 400 km route along the Baltic seashore, abundant in natural and cultural heritage, gives an opportunity to learn how locals live and rest at the sea. Apart from many ancient fishermen villages nestled along the seashore, two beautiful cities: Ventspils and Liepāja — are worth visiting.
- Romantic small towns of Kurzeme: Rīga – Saldus – Skrunda – Aizpute – Pāvilosta – Alsunga – Kuldīga – Sabile – Kandava – Tukums – Rīga. One of the most picturesque routes in Kurzeme, as it offers to see the beautiful nature of Kurzeme, manors, castles and churches surrounded by centuries old trees, ancient Aizpute with its romantic wooden buildings, the sweetest town in Latvia – Saldus, the rich in traditions Suiti region in Alsunga, the old capital of Kurzeme – Kuldiga, and the ancient Abava valley rich in landscapes and cultural heritage.
- The Green Circle of Northern Kurzeme: Rīga – Talsi – Dundaga – Pāce – Ance – Ventspils – Ugāle – Tukums – Rīga. Northern Kurzeme offers natural diversity – listen to bird songs at Lake Kanieris and Engure, watch the blue cows and wild horses, enjoy the sunrise and the sunset and watch the waves of two seas meet at Cape Kolka etc.
- Sklandrausis (or sklandu rausis) is traditional dish in Latvian cuisine which has a Livonian origin; it's a sweet pie, made of rye dough and filled with potato and carrot paste and seasoned with a caraway. It's widespread in Kurzeme.
- Many fish dishes
- biguzis (layered rye bread dessert)
- bukstiņputra (pearl barley or fine-ground barley with lard and boiled potato)