The Kvarner (Primorje-Gorski Kotar County) is divided into two regions - the mainland area (focusing on Rijeka), and the islands located within the Gulf of Kvarner.
- 1 Rijeka - the largest city and port in Kvarner
- 2 Opatija - just west of Rijeka, a former playground of the rich and famous with old, boutique hotels and concrete beaches
- Crikvenica - a small fishermans town in the area of the old roman military station Ad Turres
- 3 Baška - town on Krk island
- 4 Mali Losinj - town on Losinj island
- 5 Senj — town on Adriatic coast
- Delnice - central town of Gorski kotar (Highlands)
- Fužine - tourist town in Gorski kotar (Highlands)
Croatian. Italian and German may be understood due to close proximity to these countries and the high level of visitors in summer months.
All forms of transport meet in Rijeka. Trains operate from Zagreb, Ljubljana, Vienna, Munich and Budapest daily to Rijeka. There is a large bus terminal to domestic and international destinations such as Dubrovnik, Split, Trieste, Belgrade and Sarajevo. International ferry services operate to Bari in Italy via Split, Korcula and Dubrovnik.
Highways also connect in Rijeka heading North (towards Slovenia), west (towards Istria) and east (towards Zagreb).
There is an international airport located on the island of Krk which operates primarily in the summer months.