The region takes its name from the chain of mountains which runs down its northern side, and is part of the great Canadian Shield which covers most of Quebec north of the St. Lawrence River. Covering 22,000 square kilometres, the Laurentians span lakes, forests of maple and pine and, above all, the mountains themselves, making this a top alpine ski getaway in eastern Canada.
- Laval - a Montréal suburb, on an island between the city and the North Shore of the St. Lawrence River
- Mont-Tremblant - ski resort
- Oka, a lakeside village technically in the Laurentians region but far from the mountains
- Sainte-Adèle - ski resort and tourist destination
- Sainte-Anne-des-lacs - small village next to Saint-Sauveur, with its 22 lakes it is ideal for cottages.
- Saint-Joseph-du-Lac - a small village in the lower Laurentians with opportunities for agrotourism
- Saint-André d'Argenteuil - fomerly named Saint-André-Est and Carillon, these two towns were joined in 2000 to create the new municipality. Carillon is home to the Carillon Canal Historic Site which boasts the highest lock in Quebec. The lock is connected to the Carillon hydroelectric dam which can also be visited.
Mont-Tremblant's small airport also has some direct flights from the US, mostly in the winter season only.
The Laurentians are only an hour from Montreal on Autoroute 15 North.
- Parc Régional Bois de Belle-Rivière, 9009 Arthur-Sauvé Boulevard, Mirabel (midway between Saint-Eustache and Lachute, On Highway 15 North take the exit 640 West, then take exit 148 North West (blvd. Arthur Sauve) until Parc de Bois de Belle-Riviere.), ☎ . Daily 9AM-5PM. 27 mile long network of trails winds across the lawns and through the gardens and arboretum-style forest.
- Maison et Jardins Chénier-Sauvé, 83 rue Chénier, Saint-Eustache, ☎ , fax: +1 450-473-0149. Local flowers, perennials, trees, shrubs and beautiful riverside scenery within a 20th century eclectic garden created by Thérèse Romer, a well-known Quebec conservationist.
- There is a mass-market beer named for the region, Molson's Laurentide, which is not available outside Québec.
Auberge Laurentides