North America > Canada > Ontario > Niagara Peninsula > Lincoln (Ontario)
Lincoln is a town in the Niagara Peninsula. It is a mostly rural town, but also encompasses the towns of Beamsville and Vineland and other smaller communities. It is best known for its dozens of wineries. The district is known as Twenty Valley.
Located off the QEW between Grimsby and St. Catharines, this town is reached easily by taking the Ontario St. Beamsville exit. Beamsville can also be reached via the old number 8 highway, a scenic drive that follows a traditional Native American trail and trade route. Beamsville is about an hour's drive from Toronto, and 30 minutes from the U.S. border.
There are regional bus connections to Beamsville via Coach Canada and Greyhound. In order to see the various attractions around Beamsville, it's best to rent a car in Hamilton or St. Catharines, the closest cities.
Beamsville is especially gorgeous in the fall as it is situated on the government-protected Niagara Escarpment. Renting a bike and taking a ride can be extremely rewarding and entertaining.
Beamsville is located in the heart of wine country and the "Beamsville Bench" appellation is home to some exceptional wineries that are well worth a visit. Many of Beamsville's wineries are smaller and less touristy than their well-known cousins around Niagara on the Lake. Most offer tastings and have wine shops open year-round.
- Angels Gate Winery, 4260 Mountainview Road, Beamsville, ☏ , toll-free: . June-Oct: Mon-Sat 10am-5:30pm, Sun 11am-5:30pm. Nov-May: Sun-Fri 11am-5pm, Sat 10am-5pm. Terrace Lunch open seasonally starting in June (reservations recommended). Retail store open daily. Tours by appointment only.
- Daniel Lenko Wines, 5246 King Street West (#81 Highway), Beamsville, ☏ , email@example.com. Weekends from 12 noon until 5 pm. Weekday tours and tastings by appointment. A good chance to experience a small producer (tastings take place in the family kitchen!).
- De Sousa Wine Cellars, 3753 Quarry Road, ☏ . Daily (May - October), Sa-Su (November - April). Call for hours and tour information. Winemaking and tasting in the Portuguese tradition. Ice wine available.
- EastDell Estate Winery, 4041 Locust Lane, ☏ . On-site restaurant offers lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch with a view of the vineyards and Lake Ontario (reservations recommended). Wine shop and tasting bar open daily from 11AM-5PM.
- Fielding Estate Winery, 2020 Locust Lane, ☏ , toll-free: . Family-run, and the lodge has a nice view over the vineyards. Tours daily at 10:30AM, 1:30PM and 3:30PM (May through October). $5 per person. Retail store open daily 10:30AM - 6PM (May to October), 10:30AM - 5:30PM (November to April). Ice wine available.
- 1 Legends Estate Winery, 4888 Ontario Street North, ☏ . Open daily. Tours and tastings by appointment.
- Malivoire Wine Company, 4260 King St. East, ☏ . The tasting room is open M-F 10AM-6PM, Sa-Su 11AM-6PM (May 19 - October 8, 2007), closing at 5PM outside these dates. Excellent Gamays and ice wines. Check for info on helping with the ice wine harvest.
- Maplegrove Vinoteca Estate Winery, 4063 North Service Road, ☏ .
- Mountain Road Wine Company, 4016 Mountain Road, ☏ . Tasting bar and wine shop open M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su and holidays 11AM-5PM. Ice wine available.
- Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery, 5600 King Street W, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. On-site restaurant. Walking tour of the winemaking facilities, underground barrel cellar and vineyard daily at 11:30AM. $10. Retail hours daily, 10AM-6PM (June through October), 10AM-5PM (November through May).
- Thirty Bench Vineyard and Winery, 4281 Mountainview Road, ☏ . Su-F 11AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-6PM. Known for their Rieslings. One-on-one custom tastings, daily tours of the vineyards, and yummy booze-filled chocolates.
Other things to do include:
- Ball's Falls Conservation Area, 3292 Sixth Ave. Jordan (Victoria Avenue (Highway 24) south to Regional Road 24, turn east and travel to Ball's Falls), ☏ . Ball's Falls are very impressive in the spring when water levels are high, less so in late summer. Guided tours of the remains of the nearby 19th century industrial hamlet are available in the summer, and the conservation area also features hiking with access to the Bruce trail, plus cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. $5.75 adult.
- Berries and Blooms Festival (Beamsville Strawberry Festival) (Beamsville Fairgrounds). Held annually in mid-June with contests, bed-racing, an art show, and fireworks.
- Buy some local wine to share with friends and family upon your return. The wineries listed above all have retail stores on-site and most are open year-round.
- You can also pick-your-own fruits at some of the farms in the area from about June to October. It's best to call first to see what's in season.
- Life's a Peach Farm, 4435 Bartlett Rd, ☏ . Offers apples, cherries, grapes, pears, prepicked produce and uses organic farming methods. Cash only.
- Cherry Lane, 4230 Victoria Ave, ☏ , toll-free: . Mon-Fri 8am-5pm; Sat 8am-4pm; Sun closed. Well known for their tart cherry juice concentrate with reputed health benefits. Also sell other fruit products.
- Inn on the Twenty Restaurant, 3845 Main Street Jordan, ☏ , toll-free: . A Contemporary American restaurant in Jordan, ON, heavily influenced by the surrounding Niagara wine region.
- Jordan Pizza, 3720 19th Street, Jordan, ☏ . 3 pm - 11 pm daily. Specialty Pizzas, Gourmet Subs, Fresh made to order Salads, Chicken Wings with their own sauce. All ingredients hand cut, seasoned and grilled on site.
- Butcher and Banker Pub, 4520 Ontario St, Beamsville. (just off the QEW), ☏ , email@example.com. Claims to be the "best little British Pub in Beamsville".
- Many bed & breakfasts operate within and around Lincoln. They are generally cheaper than those found in Niagara on the Lake.
- Schaferhof Bed & Breakfast, 2746 Moyer Street, ☏ . R.R. # 3, Fenwick. 20km from Niagara Falls, in the heart of the Niagara region's wine country. They speak German.
- Inn on the Twenty, 3845 Main Street, Jordan, ☏ , toll-free: . Large premium suites in Niagara's wine country.
Interesting places nearby include:
- Niagara Falls - for the Falls, of course
- Niagara on the Lake - quaint, historic town with great little shops, restaurants, and (in the summer) the Shaw Theatre festival
- Toronto - Ontario's bustling and multicultural capital
- Buffalo, New York
|Routes through Lincoln|
|Hamilton ← Grimsby ←||W E||→ St. Catharines → Niagara Falls|
|Hamilton ← Grimsby ←||W E||→ St. Catharines → Niagara-on-the-Lake|