North America > United States of America > Mid-Atlantic > New York (state) > North Country > Malone (New York)
Malone, founded in 1802 in Northern New York by Richard Harrison, is named for Irish Shakespearean scholar Edmund Malone. Located just outside the Adirondack Park, its streets are lined with fine Victorian architecture.
Malone lies outside the "Blue Line" which legally defines Adirondack Park, in a location which geographically represents a transition from the mountainous Adirondack region to the relatively flat St. Lawrence Valley. If you head south from Malone, you'll arrive in ski country or parkland relatively quickly.
Malone's celebrated residents included William Wheeler, Vice President of the United States from 1877 to 1881 under President Rutherford B. Hayes; and Orville Gibson, the world-famous guitar and mandolin designer.
Laura Ingalls Wilder is famous for writing of the Ingalls family and their life on the frontier, in the Little House on the Prairie books. But she also wrote about her husband's childhood growing up on a farm near Malone. 9-year-old Almanzo Wilder is the main character of her book Farmer Boy, and it provides a fairly accurate look at life in northern New York in the 1860s.
- Taxi 2000, 214 East Main St, ☏ .
- Taxi R US, 53 Duane St., ☏ .
- House of History museum (Franklin County Historical and Museum Society), 51 Milwaukee St., ☏ . Tu/Th 1-4pm weather permitting.
- Almanzo Wilder Homestead, 177 Stacy Road, ☏ , toll-free: . Mon-Sat 11am-4pm, Sun 1-4pm, last tour 3pm. The boyhood home of Almanzo Wilder in Laura Ingalls Wilder's book "Farmer Boy". Open from May 25, guided tour 60-90 minutes, store and museum on-site. $7.50/person.
- Malone Golf Club, 79 Golf Course Rd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . 36-hole course designed by Donald Ross and Robert Trent Jones. $42-52 (18 holes), $24-29 (9 holes) + $10-18 for cart.
- Malone Recreation Park. 87-acre recreation and entertainment park in the heart of the community.
- Titus Mountain Ski Area, 215 Johnson Rd., ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . 27 trails, 8 chair lifts, tube park and rentals.
- Franklin County Fair, 606 East Main St., ☏ , fax: . second week in August. Rides, midway, agricultural exhibits, livestock, harness racing and live entertainers.
- Chez Madeleine, 44 Finney Blvd, ☏ . Gifts and collectibles.
- International Border Co., 40 Mill Street, ☏ . Sporting goods, clothing, shoes.
- Market Barn, 500 E Main St, ☏ . 80 shops with antiques, arts and crafts, collectibles and a deli all under one roof.
There is also a Walmart (3222 Route 11) and Kmart (230 West Main Street).
- Nancy's Village Diner, 364 W Main St, ☏ . Home/country cooking. Daily lunch & dinner specials. Homemade breads, pie, and johnneycake. Limited veggie options. Cash only.
- Spotted Willy's Pub & Grille, 3853 Route 11, ☏ .
- Blue Mountain Grill, 28 State Route 30, ☏ .
- Jug Store, 39-1/2 Rockland St, ☏ .
- Gordie's Gazebo Steak & Seafood Restaurant, 5199 Rte 37, ☏ .
- Seven's Grill, 26 Pearl St, ☏ . Malone,
- Turning Point Bar, 341 Elm St, ☏ .
- Spotted Willy's Pub and Grill, 3853 Route 11, ☏ .
- Super 8, 17 Rockland Street, ☏ .
- Econo Lodge, 227 W. Main St, ☏ .
- Sunset Motel, 3899 Route 11, ☏ .
- Four Seasons Motel, 236 Main St, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Kilburn Manor, 59 Milwaukee Street, ☏ , toll-free: . Greek revival home on Salmon River, pool, library, wi-fi, event facilities. Smoke-free. $70-140, incl. full breakfast.
|Routes through Malone|
|Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu ← Champlain ←||N S||→ Potsdam → Watertown|
|Montreal ← Huntingdon Template:Lfarrow becomes Template:Lfarrow ←||N S||→ Jct E Template:Rtarrow Tupper Lake → Jct W E|