Europe > Italy > Sicily > Messina (province) > Messina
Some days, visitors arrive by cruise ships... most frequently in the summer season. Ships often berth right downtown, within an easy walk to a popular piazza, dominated by the clock tower (pictured), and which is served by many tour buses and a hop-on/hop-off double-decked bus offering a modest overview of the waterfront portion of the city.
Messina is Sicily's link to the main Italian train network. Long distance trains from Rome and Naples cross the Straits of Messina by ferry and continue on to Palermo and Catania. Regular regional trains also run to Milazzo, Cefalu, Taormina and Syracuse.
- Cathedral Tower - A must-see for visitors with an amazing clock show every day at 12:00 (noon)!
- Cathedral - A Gothic style cathedral which dates back to the 12th century. The cathedral suffered serious damage in the 1908 earthquake and was restored between 1919 and 1920. During the Second World War, Allied bombings destroyed part of the Cathedral, which was rebuilt in 1943.
- Fountain of Orion - Next to the cathedral.
- Old Town
Novara di Sicilia - Located in the province of Messina on the northern side of Mt. Etna, this picturesque medieval town is nestled in the mountains overlooking ancient Tyndaris and Abacaenum. It is the archetype of a typical medieval town, with its friendly and accommodating people who speak a distinctive dialect.
Visit Torre Faro, the former electricity pylon over Messina Strait. It is a 224 metres tall lattice tower, which is today an observation tower with an observation platform on 200 metres. Unfortunately you have to walk 1250 steps up and down, but the great view on the huge structure and the good view over Messina Strait is surely worth it! 
- Walk around the city! It's a nice town with old architecture.
- Coin Shopping Centre
The best pizza in town is Pizza Capitano just off Piazza Cairoli. The owner is a little gruff however the wood oven gives an authentic Sicilian flavor. Its also excellent value and is always busy especially during Series A football matches when the atmosphere reaches fever pitch.
- Al Gattopardo, Via Santa Cecilia, 184, ☏ .
- Bacco, Via Cernaia, 15, ☏ .
- Momento Ristorante, Via Mario Giurba 29, ☏ .
For visitors there for just a day, look for family pastry store that offer cannoli... a genuine Sicilian treat.
For a taste of Irish authenticity drop into Dockers near the cruise mooring area.
- Acqualadroni.it. Flats with different sizes all provided with kitchen fridge and washing machine for a simple but good stay, they are located in the north part of the city, perfect for spending your holiday.
- La Residenza. Charming, elegant, four stars hotel in the centre.
- Hotel il Mulino, Via A. Doria, 46, Capo D'Orlando, Ph. +39 0941 902431 Fax +39 0941 911614 . Among the hotels in Capo d'Orlando, the Hotel Il Mulino boasts a privileged position: overlooking the sea on the beautiful sandy beach in the centre. The hotel is about 200 meters from the pedestrian area and about 300 meters from the train station.
- Liberty Hotel, Via I Settembre, 15, Tel.: +39 090 6409436, Fax: +39 090 6409340 . Situated in the heart of Messina, NH Liberty, built in 1930, and newly renovated. It's position makes it ideal for business stays as well as holidays. There is another NH hotel in Messina  if this one is full.
- Tourist Village Capo Calavà, ☏ , fax: . C.da Capo Calavà, Gioiosa Marea. Directly on the beach and in the heart of a verdant park with a piano bar, discotheque, miniclub, restaurant, wellness center, business center, and 280 comfortable rooms. Prices start from 420€ per week.
- Hilton Hotel Portarosa Messina, ☏ , fax: . Complesso Turistico Portorosa, Furnari. Luxury four star hotel outside the city with private beach, spa centre, windsurfing and sailing class, plus a Congress Centre for the ideal business meeting just a two steps away from the Sicilian Sea.
- Hotel Royal Palace In the heart of the commercial centre, 200 meters far from the station. The restaurant "Lo Scrigno" offers a refined service and the best dishes of the cuisine of Messina and Sicily and selected specialties of the National cuisine as well.
- Grand Avalon Sikani Resort & Residence Sicily, Contrada Licari, Goioiosa Marea, ☏ . Features 119 guest and family rooms wit sea view of the Aeolian Islands. Private beach. Located in the Northern Coast of Sicily (Goioiosa Marea) very near Messina. Facilities: A/C, infinity swimming pool, sea-view solarium, running center, spa & wellnes center, banquet facilities, conference centre.
- Villa Luca Messina, ☏ , fax: . Contrada Muti 1, Sant'Agata Militello. Relaxing country house located on the edge of Messina, immerse in a fantastic green area with a swimming pool. The Villa Luca offers 12 guest rooms, one for disables, with private bath and breakfast included. Double and twin rooms €65; triple and family 92.