Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Western Cape > Cape Winelands > Breede River Valley > Montagu
Montagu is the gateway to the little (Klein) Karoo on Route 62 between Cape Town and the Garden Route with many fine examples of Cape-Dutch architecture. This friendly town always deliver on their promise of Expect the Unexpected with attractions that appeal to all the senses, silent mountain sides, clear Karoo night skies, adventure, culinary delights, visual stimulation of fruit and flowers, country life and much more. The town is very well known for the large amount of high quality rock climbing routes in the area plenty of adventure activities. The village also has a medicinal herb museum and many worthwhile art galleries.
This is the way to come to Montagu and it`s a 2–3 hours drive from Cape Town. Going east on the famous Route 62 will bring you to Oudtshoorn (this is an interesting drive through the semi-desert Karoo and worth some extra km/miles)
The big bus companies offer limited services to Montagu so it`s advisable to check the current situation.
Munnik's InterTown Coaches runs a scheduled bus service between Bellville (with pick up points in Athlone and Mitchel's Plein) and Montagu on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. All Enquires & Reservations - ph: +27 (0)21 637 1850 or +27 (0)21 637 5230.
Otherwise Translux (and CitytoCity) have a stop in nearby Ashton.
The closest train mainline station is in Worcester some 95 km away,Ashton 10 km away has a station-but trains run weekly so this is NOT the way to go to Montagu.
The village itself is best explored walking. There is no public transport in Montagu so for longer trips rent a car. Alternative rent a (mountain-)bike as there are some interesting trails.
Montagu houses some very fine examples of Dutch-Cape architecture and it`s no problem to visit them on a walk through the streets (especially Long Street).
Hike along on of the many trails in the neighbouring mountains. Two of the nearby hiking routes, Bloupunt and Cogmanskloof trail start at Joubert Park just at the edge of the town. Further afield in the Koo valley you find the Gecko Trail as well as Nuy River Gorge Kloofing and Abseiling Take a dip at the hot springs some 3 km out of town. Climb some of over 400 sport climbing routes.
- Gecko Trail, ☏ , email@example.com. A wilderness hiking trail, starting at the Nuy Valley (near Worcester) and making its way through the Nuy River Gorge to Simonskloof (or vice versa). The route is 16 km and includes some serious ascents and descents. Bookings via Simonskloof (see Sleep). Trail fee ~R35 per person.
- Nuy River Gorge Kloofing, firstname.lastname@example.org. 27 23 614 1895. Oct-Apr. A one- or two-day kloofing (canyoneering) trip into a remote gorge including abseiling, boulder hopping, bivouacking and swimming. Meals and guiding included. Bookings via Simonskloof (see Sleep). ~R500-1300 per person.
Every Saturday 08:00-12:30 you'll find the Montagu Village Market in Euvard Park on Bath street opposite the Information bureau. Here you'll find a fantastic selection of local farm produce, art and delicious foods as well as clothing and craft.
Montagu offers some very classy restaurants. Becoming more and more popular with tourists the prices get classy, too.
There are several hotels and guesthouses in Montagu and some more a little bit out of town but there is a little shortage of backpacker-accommodation. If on a budget look for one of the self-catering cottages.
- Airlies Guesthouse, 36 Bath street, ☏ , email@example.com. Bed and Breakfast From R270 per person sharing.
- Avalon Springs, Uitvlucht street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Luxury hotel and spa resort
- De Bos Guest Farm, Route 62, ☏ . Self-catering rooms and bungalows, B&B, backpackers barn and camping. Popular with rock climbers and mountain bikers
- Montagu Springs, Little Sanctuary, ☏ . From R380 to R1050 per chalet depending on size and time of year.
- Simonskloof Mountain Retreat, Koo Valley (Turn off the R318 tar road 40 km west of Montagu, then another 10 km on earth road), ☏ , email@example.com. An off-grid, eco-friendly down-to-earth place in a little-visited valley, billing itself as a retreat from modern life. Accommodation is either camping or cottages complete with candles, paraffin lamps and wood / gas heating / cooking / braai-ing. Lots of hiking, mountaineering, climbing, canyoneering and nature watching in the vicinity. From R50 for camping to R400 for a cottage for two.
- 7 Church Street Luxury Guest House, 7 Church Street Montagu South Africa, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14h00, check-out: 10h30. In the heart of Montagu, this restored Victorian home dates back to the 1850s and once boasted a thatched roof. Suites with panoramic views. from R450 pppn.
- Montagu Country hotel, 27 Bath Street Montagu, ☏ , email@example.com. Built in 1875
Montagu an ideal stop over on the famous Route 62 between Cape Town and the Garden Route. Alternatively there's R318 a slower but more scenic road via the Keisie and Koo Valleys towards the N1 and Hex River Valley. BUT there is lots of reason to stay for 2, 3 or more nights. You can go for walks in the mountains, swimming at the hot mineral springs, horse riding, boat trips on the Breede River, tractor/trailer trip to the mountain summit, visit a wide variety of wineries with some of the best wines that you can get, or just relax and enjoy the sunshine and beauty of the town and area. Come and see for yourself, you will never regret it!