National Harbor is in Prince George's County, Maryland. Home to Marriott's Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, National Harbor is a common destination for people traveling to the Washington DC area for conventions and business. Although National Harbor is known as a tourist destination, it has about 3,800 residents (2010).
The site has a convention center, six hotels, restaurants, shops, and condominiums. National Harbor hosted Cirque du Soleil in 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014 and features outdoor activities such as a culinary festival and outdoor concerts by military bands, an outdoor movie screen facing the river, an annual ice sculpture exhibition, and a Peeps Day with a Peeps eating contest. The national spelling bee competition is held there. The Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, with 2,000 rooms, is the largest hotel between New Jersey and Florida, and the largest in the Washington area.
The site includes a beachfront walking path and a connection to a bike trail on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that crosses into Alexandria, Virginia. Amusements include a children's carousel, and the Capital Wheelk a 175-foot Ferris wheel on a pier that extends into the Potomac River.
National Harbor is just south of the intersection of I-95 and I-295. There are numerous parking garages in the area.
- Metrobus NH1 & NH3 operate service from/to the Branch Avenue Metro Station, where further connections can be made to Washington DC. For more information on riding the Metrorail and Metrobus, see Washington DC#Get_In.
- National Harbor Passenger Shuttle operates between hotels in National Harbor and the King Street Metro Station in Alexandria, Virginia. The bus is free for guests staying at a hotel in National Harbor (show your key card) or residents/employees of National Harbor and costs $10 for non-guests.
- Potomac Riverboat Company operates a water taxi between Alexandra, Virginia, the Gaylord Hotel and Convention Center, and downtown National Harbor. Round-trip fares are $16 for adults, $8 for children and the rides lasts about 25 minutes.
- National Harbor Marina allows docking of private boats. Advance reservation required.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is the closest airport to National Airport, about 8 miles (12 km) away. It has mostly domestic flights and a few international flights.
- 1 Washington Dulles International Airport has domestic flights and many international flights. It is 36 miles (57 miles) from National Harbor.
- 2 Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport has domestic and international flights. It is 38 miles (61 km) from National Harbor.
National Harbor is very easy to walk around, and walking around is one of the pleasures of being there. The hotels are all within a short, pleasant walk from many restaurants and shops. A few places, such as the MGM casino and the outlet mall, are further away, and are easier to reach by using the National Harbor Circulator, a bus operating 7 days a week from 11AM-4AM. It costs $5 for an all-day pass. The National Harbor Circulator bus stops at:
- Downtown National Harbor (St. George Blvd & Waterfront St bus shelters)
- Gaylord National
- Tanger Outlets (by the merchant wall on Oxon Hill Rd)
- MGM National Harbor (on Monument Dr)
- 1 Awakening Sculpture, 153 National Plaza (beachfront). Sculpture that looks like a giant person awakening after being buried in the ground.
- [dead link] Local Motors Tours. Daily noon–6PM, on the hour. Showcases the latest innovations in vehicle technology, from 3D-printed cars to autonomous vehicles
- 1 Boat Rental @ Boating in D.C., 165 Waterfront St. Swan pedal boat, kayak, and paddleboard rentals. Also offers paddleboard lessons. Hourly rates: single kayak $15; double kayak $20; stand-up paddleboard $20; pedal boat (up to 4 adults): $25; swan or duck pedal boat (4 adults + 1 child): $30.
- 2 The Capital Wheel, 116 Waterfront St, ☏ , email@example.com. M-Th noon-10PM, F Sa 10AM-11PM. 175-foot (53-km) Ferris wheel with views of the major sights of Washington D.C., and the surrounding area. Adult $15; senior $13.20; child $11.25.
- 3 The Carousel at National Harbor, 137 National Plaza, ☏ . Carousel with painted animals, a playground, and picnic tables near the water. Child $5.
- 4 Big Apple Circus, 238 Waterfront St. Frequently hosts shows in a tent at National Harbor.
- 5 MGM National Harbor, 101 MGM National Ave, toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Movies on the Potomac. Seasonal; check schedule for dates and times.. Outdoor movies on the waterfront.
- 1 Peeps & Company, 150 National Plaza, ☏ . M-Th 10AM-9PM, F Sa 10AM-10PM, Su 11AM-8PM. Candy store.
- 2 Tanger Outlets, 6800 Oxon Hill Rd, ☏ , toll-free: . Over 85 stores, including Adidas, American Eagle, ASICS, Calvin Klein, Coach, Converse, Fossil, H&M, Hollister, Tommy Hilfiger, UGG, and Under Armour.
- [dead link] Miller Farms Farmers Market, Located on American Way by the fountain. Every Saturday and Sunday, April 23rd – November 20th 10AM – 5PM.
- 1 Bond 45 Restaurant, 149 Waterfront St, ☏ . 4–11PM. New York-style Italian steak and seafood restaurant
- 2 Cadillac Ranch, 186 Fleet Street, ☏ . American food
- 3 Crab Cake Cafe, 140 National Plaza, ☏ . Crab cakes, sandwiches, salads, and soup.
- 4 Grace's Mandarin, 188 Waterfront St. East Asian restaurant.
- 5 Nando's Peri Peri, 191 American Way. Su-Th 11AM-10PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM. Spicy Afro-Portuguese chicken.
- 6 Old Hickory Steakhouse @ Marriott Gaylord Convention Center, 201 Waterfront St, ☏ . Steak restaurant. Dress nice.
- 7 Sauciety @ The Westin National Harbor, 171 Waterfront St, ☏ . Steak and seafood with a view of the water.
- 8 Thai Pavilion, 151 American Way, ☏ . Thai restaurant.
- 1 Bobby McKey's Dueling Piano Bar, 172 Fleet Street, ☏ .
- 2 Tasting Room Wine Bar & Shop @ National Harbor, 137 Waterfront St, ☏ .
- 3 National Pastime Sports Bar & Grill @ Marriott Gaylord Convention Center, 201 Waterfront St, ☏ .
- 1 Aloft National Harbor, 156 Watefront Street, ☏ . 190 rooms, 9-foot ceilings, large windows, modern look.
- 2 Marriott Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, 201 Waterfront St., ☏ . 19 floors, 2,000 rooms, 470,000 square feet of meeting space.
- 3 Hampton Inn & Suites National Harbor, 250 Waterfront Street, ☏ . 151 rooms
- 4 Residence Inn National Harbor, 192 Waterfront Street, ☏ . 162 rooms.
- 5 Westin National Harbor, 171 Waterfront Street, ☏ . Great views of the water.
- 6 Wyndham National Harbor, 250 Mariner Passage, ☏ . 250 suites, many with multiple bedrooms.
- Alexandria, Virginia is just across the Potomac River
- Washington, D.C. is a 30-minute drive or accessible by bus/metro.
|Routes through National Harbor|
|Baltimore ← Camp Springs ←||N S||→ Alexandria → Springfield|
|Baltimore ← Becomes ← Becomes ← Washington, D.C. ←||N S||→ END|
|Silver Spring ← Camp Springs ←||N S||→ Alexandria → Springfield|