Newton Stewart is a town with a population of about 3500 in Dumfries and Galloway. The town's name comes from William Stewart who built several houses and obtained a burgh charter in 1677 from King Charles II.
You can drive to Newton Stewart in about 2½ hours from Glasgow. It can also be accessed by bus.
National Express/Ulsterbus 920 runs overnight from London Victoria via Luton Airport, Coventry, Birmingham, Manchester Airport and city, Preston, Carlisle, Dumfries, Castle Douglas, Newton Stewart, Stranraer, Cairnryan then by Stena ferry to Belfast.
Newton Stewart is small enough to get around on foot, but to enjoy Glen Trool you'll need a car.
- 1 The Museum, York Rd, DG8 6HN, ☏ . April-Sept M-Sa: 2pm-5pm. In the former St. John's Church.
- 2 Bruce's Stone (is in Glen Trool overlooking the loch). Commemorates one of King Robert the Bruce's earliest victories over the English, in 1307 when he ambushed them in the narrow glen. The car park is a starting point for several hikes in the area, including the ascent of Merrick, at 843 m the highest peak in this part of Scotland.
- 1 Newton Stewart Cinema, 35 Victoria Street, DG8 6NL, ☏ . Unusual for such a small town to have a cinema. It's run by the community and shows recent mainstream films. Adult £6.40.
- Newton Stewart & Minigaff Traditional Music & Dance Festival is held in mid-July, various venues. The next is 10-12 July 2020.
- There's a strip of cheap eating places along Victoria St in Newton Stewart, including one Chinese, one Indian and a pizzeria. The pubs also do food.
- 1 Riverbank Restaurant, Goods Lane DG8 6EH, ☏ . M-Sa 09:00-16:00. Simple snacks, hot drinks and lunches.
- 1 Galloway Arms Hotel, 54-58 Victoria St, Newton Stewart DG8 6DB, ☏ . Restaurant is open daily 12:00-21:00, 10 bedrooms and bar, sometimes known as "Nine Mile Bar" as it's midway between Castle Douglas and Dumfries.
- 2 Crafty Distillery, Wigtown Rd, DG8 6AS (south edge of town, junction of A75 and A714), ☏ . W-F: 11:30am-3pm, M-Tu, Sa-Su: closed. Makes gin and offers tours. £12.50.
- 3 Bladnoch Whisky Distillery, Bladnoch, Newton Stewart, DG8 9AB (in Wigtown 7 miles south of Newton Stewart), ☏ . Tu-Sa: 10am-5:30pm. It's open for tours. £14.
- Strathleys House Campsite on Corsbie Rd is open April-Oct with four hard standings for tourers and a grass pitch.
- 1 Minnigaff Hostel, Minnigaff, Newton Stewart, DG8 6P, ☏ . Great traditional wee hostel, but it is only available (year-round) to rent the entire building, sleeps nine.
- The Bruce Hotel is a small 3-star place at 88 Queen St, B&B double £80.
- B&Bs in town are Rowallan and Stables both on Corsbie Rd, and Brewery House on King St. Crown Hotel is next door to The Bruce.
- West to Stranraer and Drummore
- East to Kirkcudbright, Castle Douglas and Dumfries
- North to Girvan, Ayr, Prestwick and Troon