The people of Malabar call Neeleshwaram the cultural capital or 'Paithrika Nagari' of North Malabar because of the concentration of music, dance and temple festivals in this little town. The town has an area of 26 sq.km and the population is 55,000. Neelesharam is the third largest town in Kasaragod District after Kasaragod and Kanhangad. The town lies between two rivers called Neeleshwaram River and Thejaswini River. The town is home to folk arts, temple festivals, a palace, kavuus (sacred groves) and ancient market.
Nileshwaram is easily reachable by train from anywhere in India. The railway station is just 1 km from the bus station. Buses are also available from Kasaragod and Kannur. The nearest airport is at Mangalore.
Auto-rikshaws charge ₹15 per km and buses charge only ₹7 for three km. Air-conditioned jeeps are available for ₹1,000 per day. Walking is pleasant in the evenings. Keep away from busy roads because noisy motorcycles can pester you 24 hours a day.
- 1 Agricultural University, Pilicode (2 km).
- 2 Bhadrakali Temple, Thaikadapuram.
- Cheruvathur Mount Valley View, Near C.Mount Residency, NH (6 km). Spectacular view of the valley below with the railway track, railway station and passing trains.
- Forest Shrine, Shaasta Kshethram. frequented by Sabarimala pilgrims.
- Mohyidheen Juma Masjidh, N.H. Junction.
- Nalla Idayan Church, Aingoth.
- Nileshwar Palace, NearRailway Station (1 km).
- Raktha Sakshi Nagar, Karivellur` (10 km). ideal place for people with a socialist bend of mind.
- 3 Riverside Bhagavathy Temple, Near Main Bazaar.
- The Sacred Tree, Benkana Kavu. The mysterious lamps of the kanhiram tree are lit on Tuesdays and Fridays after 10:00 pm.
- Shiva temple, Thaliyil.
- Shree Punnakkal Bhagavathy temple, Cheruvathur (5 km).
- Shree Vayalkkara Devi Temple, Pallikkara.
- Shri Muthappan Temple, Near Cheruvathur Railway Station. Beautiful pond and temple
- 4 Vettaykkorumakan Temple, Padinhattom Kozhuval.
- Boating @ Kottappuram — Eleven houseboats are available for rent. Conference hall, AC bedroom, balcony, toilets and arrangements for riverbaths are available in them. Radio, TV and computer are there inside the boats. Capacity 20 to 80 people in different boats.
- Interact with the revolutionaries, V.S.Auto Stand, Bus stand. The autorikshaw drivers of Nileshwar are in a class of their own because they have formed a small group of anti-mainstream-communist socialist group and worship rebel leader V.S.Achuthanandan with great passion.
- Meet the artisans, Weavers' Street.
- Sea Walks @ Cheruvathur Fishing Harbour, Kavum chira, Madakkara.. Two footpaths of 800 m each length into the sea are available at Cheruvathur Fishing harbour.
- Sunset @ Thaikadappuram Azhithala. Azhithala, a picnicker's delight, is the place where River Tejaswani mouths the Arabian Sea. Situated about 9km from Nileshwar and 17 km from kanhangad, Azhithala is an ideal place for relaxation and long walks.
- Travel by public ferry. The boat station is just 2 km from market junction on the highway. Boat services are available to Payyanur, Valyaparmba and Trikaripur.
- Trekking @ Cheruvathoor, East side of the Railway Station (2 km). Start from the railway station. Head South. Turn left to the hill on the eastern side. You reach the highway where there is a view point. On the highway, you can walk down south to Pilicode, another three kilometers.
- Watch the festivals. Festivals in Nileshwaram are Pooram and Kalasam in Mannampurathukavu, the festival in Thaliyil temple and Thrukarthika and Pooram in Pallikkara Bhagavathi Temple. Porat (ശാലീയ പൊറാട്ട്) in Anjoottabalam Veerarkavu, the Vishukkaliyattam festival in Thattacherry Vadayanthoor Kazhakam, and the Pooram festival in Cheermakkavu attract thousands of people in the month of Meenam.
- Watch the Theyyam dance. available in select temples and family temples.
- Nileshwar Parippu Vadas. Nileshwar Parippu Vadas are available at Himagiri Coolbar or Parippu Vada Vibhava Shala, near bus station. Parippu Vada or lentil fritters are available everywhere in Kerala but the tastiest variety is available only in Nileshwaram. They charge only 50% compared to other Kerala towns, maybe because it is slightly smaller than what is availabe elsewhere, or because it is treated as a prestige item of this little town. Eating Parippu Vada with black tea is considered a cultural icon of the socialist people of Northern Kerala.
- Blue Sea Restaurant, opp. Nehru College (Padnekkad).
- 1 Chicken Special, Highway.
- DTPC Green Park Restaurant, Near Nehru College (padnekkad).
- 2 Highway Inn Restaurant, Highway Junction. This is not an inn. They just chose a cute word.
- 3 KTDC Restaurant, Highway. Run by the government efficiently. The government bungles everything else. But restaurants and beer parlors they manage beautifully.
- Pacha Mulaku Restaurant, Oppsite Nehru Arts and Science College (Nileshwar).
- Ratheesh Hotel, Mayicha.
- Taste Buds Restaurant, Mayicha (2 km).
- Vasantha Vihar Vegetarian, Highway.
- Dhe Pachamulaku Restaurant, Padannakkad.
- Uppum Mulakum Restauant, Padannakkad.
- J.K.Residency, Cheruvathur. Thali meals for Rs.99.00
- 1 Gokulam Bar, Near the northern bridge, ☎ .
- KTDC Bar, Highway.
- C. Mount Residency, Cheruvathur Hill.
- Kannan Beach Resort, Ozhinhavalappu, ☎ . ₹8,000.
- Malabar Ocean Front Resort, Ozhinhavalappu, ☎ . ₹7,000.
- J.K.Residency, Cheruvathur.
- Bekal fort, 25 km.
- Kannur beach city, 56 km
- Madikeri, Hill station, 123 km
- Mahe beach, old French enclave, 86 km.
- Malom National Park, Ranipuram, 45 km
- Pushpagiri Reserve Forest, 52 km
- Scenic Balathode village, near Panathur. 47 km.
- Tala Cauvery, 89 km.
- Ullal dargah and beach, 76 km