Nybro is a city in Småland in Sweden. The local industry is dominated by companies within glass manufacturing, paper and wood. The biggest employer is the floor manufacturer AB Gustaf Kähr. Nybro is the gateway to the world famous Swedish glass manufacturing district Glasriket which can be translated to The Kingdom of Glass.
Nybro's importance as a center of trade and manufacturing increased gradually during the first half of the 19th century. In 1865 Nybro achieved market town status. During the 1870s, the railway reached Nybro and Kalmar, something which meant a financial and demographic increase. In 1932, Nybro had grown so much that it achieved town status. The increase in population terms continued until the 1970s, but has since decreased. The previous villages Hanemåla and Madesjö are now a part of the town.
Orrefors, 16 km (9.9 mi) north-east of Nybro is one of several glass manufacturing villages in the area.
The nearest airport is Kalmar airport with connections to several destinations and with daily traffic to Stockholm Bromma Airport and Stockholm Arlanda Airport ARN IATA. The airport is on the former Kalmar Wing airbase, ca 30 km east of Nybro. There are no special airport coaches, but the local bus company, Kalmar Läns Trafik (KLT), operates a regular bus line (line 402) between the airport and the bus terminal in the center of Kalmar. At the bus terminal, change to bus 131 or any train bound for Nybro. The major rental car companies are available at the airport, such as Avis, phone: +46 480 44 43 00, Europcar, phone: +46 480 137 50 and Hertz, phone: +46 480 944 20. Kalmar flygplatsmay be contacted on phone, +46 480 45 90 00.
The railway between Gothenburg and Kalmar passes through Nybro. The traffic is operated by the Swedish state railways SJ and the connections are good. Change train in Emmaboda for Karlskrona. Travellers from the north or south of Sweden must change in Nässjö or Alvesta.
Road 25 from Kalmar. Road 31 from Vetlanda. Road 120 from Emmaboda.
Road 25 from Kalmar. Road 31 from Vetlanda. Road 120 from Emmaboda. Some trains allow you to bring your bike, but always check with the operator before boarding the train. Adjacent to the major roads, there are plenty of nice little roads should you want to take detours or alternate routes.
Kalmar Lanstrafik operates local buses. Buses #139 and #140 carry passengers between Nybro and Orrefors (about 25 min, 38 kr).
- James Bond Museum. An unusual place, far from the settings of James Bond films. See also James Bond tourism.
Most of the activities in Orrefors are centered around the Glassworks. Some days you can blow your own glass bowl, which is very exciting! There is also Crystal Bar (built in 2006) and a small glass museum.
Glass of course, but also many other design items at good prices in the glass shops.
- Stora Hotellet (Grand Hotell i Nybro AB). See "Sleep" below.
- 1 Restaurang och pizzeria Juventus, Doktor Sandbergs Gata 16 B, ☎ . 11:30-21:30. Simple but priceworthy restaurant and pizzeria, takeaway on request. Open F-Sa until 23:00.
- 2 Restaurang Evas kök, Storgatan 28, ☎ . M-F 09:00-14:00. Breakfast and lunch restaurant.
- 3 Pizzeria Alanya, Algatan 15, ☎ .
- 4 Restaurang Appsolut, Storgatan 2, ☎ .
- Orrefors värdshus by the Glassworks have quite good food, if somewhat pricey.
- Orrefors Hotel has good Thai food at reasonable prices.
- Orrefors trädgårdscafe (by Orrefors B&B) is the choice if you just feel like a snack and a cup of coffee.
- The Crystal Bar by the Glassworks in Orrefors is actually made out all out of crystal.
- 1 Stora Hotellet (Grand Hotell i Nybro AB), Mellangatan 11, ☎ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Mid-range hotel in the very town center. The hotel has a sauna and also (on request) offers beauty treatments and various packages, for example cookery classes and wine tasting. The hotel serves breakfast, lunch and dinner (à la carte) daily, and lunch at reduced prices M-F. The hotel has its own function room and can also provide catering. 990-1190 kr.
- 2 Nybro lågprishotell och vandrarhem (Nybro STF vandrarhem/STF hostel Nybro), Vasagatan 22, ☎ . Five minutes from the town center, this hostel offers 100 beds. The hostel is also a cheap hotel, but the hotel prices are of course more expensive than the hostel. Breakfast is included and is served daily 08:00-10:00. The hostel can provide other meals on request (must be pre-booked). Self-catering is possible (well-equipped kitchens are provided). Bed sheets available for hire if you do not bring your own. Sleeping bags are not allowed. 250-550 kr pp.
- Alsterbro minihotell, Hindsjövägen 2, Alsterbro (27 km north of Nybro), ☎ , e-mail: Simoneholz14@aol.com. A small hotel built in 2009 in the former police station, which means you can chose to sleep in a cell or an interrogation room. Two double rooms and three single rooms available. Breakfast is included. 650-950 kr/day.
- Orrefors Bed & Breakfast, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A Bed & Breakfast and youth hostel (vandrarhem) in the old part of Orrefors. Situated in a former glass workers' house from 1898. Nice rooms at very reasonable prices. Address Silversparregatan 17. Open June 15th through August 15th. Check in time 17:00 and check out at 11:00. Prices about 250 kr/person/night.
- Orrefors Hotel at street Kantavagen is the choice if you feel like spending a bit more. Still good prices, though.
|Routes through Nybro|
|Halmstad ← Växjö ←||W E||→ Kalmar|