Nyköping is the county seat in Södermanland County, on the coast of the Baltic Sea 100 kilometres south-west of Stockholm. Many visitors to Sweden arrive at the nearby Stockholm-Skavsta Airport a few kilometres outside Nyköping. The city is also interesting in its own right, having a near-millennial history.
There are roughly 35,000 people living in central Nyköping and close to 50,000 in the whole municipality. There are 23,400 households in the municipality, with 9,600 of these individual homes and 13,800 apartments.
Nyköping is one of Sweden's older cities. Nyköping's history dates to around 2000 BC. The city Nyköping is considered to have been founded in 1187. Around this time, a fortress tower was built. It was later extended to the castle Nyköpingshus. The town has been hit by several city-wide fires. After the fire in 1665, the town was rebuilt on a grid model. This network of streets remains even today; it was not until 1950 that the city settlement grew outside the old 1600s plan.
After being one of several Swedish capitals for 400 years, Nyköping was an industrial city known for its substantial brass works in the 1700s. During the 1900s, factories produced furniture for NK, cars for Saab and parts for the F11 airplane.
Oxelösund is a southern suburb, known for its port and its steel mill.
- 1 Nyköping Tourist Office, Rådhuset, Stora Torget, ☏ +46 155-24 82 00, email@example.com. Low Season (Late Aug-Mid June) M-F 09.00-17.00. High Season (Mid June-Late Aug) M-F 09.00-18.00, Sa 10.00-16.00.
It’s easy to get to Nyköping and easy to continue on from here.
- 1 Stockholm-Skavsta Airport (NYO IATA). fly from over 40 destinations in Europe with Ryanair and Wizzair. Inside Sweden you can fly to and from Gotland with Gotlandsflyg.
See Stockholm#Get in for transfer between Stockholm and Skavsta.
Local bus 515 connects Skavsta to Nyköping and Oxelösund.
Swebus Express[dead link] has traffic to and from Nyköping to many destinations in Sweden and Denmark.
With SJ you can travel to and from Nyköping. Trains stop twenty-six times a day in Nyköping. A direct SJ regional train from Stockholm to Nyköping takes about 1 hour.
The main road E4 passes by Nyköping.
There are several bike trails that pass through Nyköping, e.g. Näckrosleden, Kustlinjen and Cykelspåret längs ostkusten.
Central Nyköping is easily accessible on foot. It is also close to the castle and the main bus terminal.
It is said that the dialect spoken in Nyköping founded the base of standard Swedish. Most people here, except the elderly and newly arrived migrants, are also fluent in English.
- 1 Nyköpingshus castle, Vallgatan, ☏ +46 155-24 57 00. An old castle dating back to the 12th century. Inside the King's Tower you can visit exhibitions about the history of Nyköping.
- 2 Nynäs Castle, ☏ +46 155-26 15 05. A castle located along the coastal route 219, 30km north of Nyköping. During the summer the castle is open for visitors. In the Orangerie you can enjoy a cup of coffee or shop for plants and flowers.
- 1 Barnkulturcentrum (Centre for Children's Culture), Prästgatan 12, ☏ +46 155-24 89 08. A Museum for children, also has a children's workshop and "Gripes modellteatermuseum", Sweden's only toy theater museum. Children 10 kr, Adults 20 kr.
- 2 Culturum, Hospitalgatan 4. a library and arts centre.
- History along the river. Follow Sweden's longest outdoor museum with signs that tell the history of Nyköping.
- 3 Nyköpingsbron, Vida Nyköpingsbro. Nyköpingsbron is a bridge over the highway E4, from there can you see the long Nyköping River. Often popular among children.
- 4 Nyköpings teater, Teatertorget, ☏ +46 155-24 80 00. a theatre.
- Sörmlandsleden. Take a walk along the longest walking trail in Sweden. 1000 kilometres divided into 100 sections.
On the street Storgatan, stretching nearly one kilometre, are small designer boutiques and clothes shops alongside H&M and Åhlens. There are several design shops where you can buy local and international decorations.
During the summer and around Christmas, you can shop traditional handicraft in the harbour of Nyköping. In the area around Nyköping you find a lot of farmyard shops.
- 1 Hellmanska Gården, Västra Trädgårdsgatan 24, ☏ +46 155-21 05 25.
- 2 [dead link] Lamduan Thaifood, Östra Storgatan 27, ☏ +46 155-21 61 11.
- 3 Rökeriet, Anatorget, ☏ +46 155-21 38 38.
- 1 Rockbaren, Östra Storgatan 2, ☏ +46 155-26 80 20.
- 1 Hotel Lanterna, Harbour area, ☏ +46 155 - 45 50 30.
- 2 Nyköpings Vandrarhem, Brunnsgatan 2, ☏ +46 155 - 21 18 10. 400 SEK.
- 3 [dead link] Railway, Södra Bangårdsgatan, ☏ +46 155 28 29 20. 395 SEK.
- 4 Scandic Stora Hotellet, Brunnsgatan 31, ☏ +46 155-29 35 00.
|Routes through Nyköping|
|Helsingborg ← Norrköping ←||SW NE||→ Södertälje → Stockholm|