- Bremen Airport BRE IATA : Take tram 6 to Bremen Hauptbahnhof, then change to an Oldenburg Hauptbahnhof train. The trip will take around 1h and cost about 12€.
- Hamburg Airport HAM IATA: Take train S1 to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, then change to a Bremen Hauptbahnhof train, then change to an Oldenburg Hauptbahnhof train. The trip will take around 2h10, and cost about 36€. A direct bus to Oldenburg is available from Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, see details below.
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport: The train trip has been complicated by the damaged Friesen bridge that will not be replaced until 2024. It is possible to use a train-bus-train option (around 4h20), or to take a train to Sloterdijk (24 minutes) and then a FlixBus to Oldenburg Hauptbahnhof (4h30). A direct bus to Oldenburg is available from Amsterdam Sloterdijk, see details below.
- Bremen: Transport to other German cities will generally require a transfer in Bremen. There are two direct trains an hour between Bremen and Oldenburg, with travel times of 30-40 minutes.
- Hamburg: There are three trains an hour from Hamburg to Bremen, with a transfer required to Oldenburg. Total travel times are 1h40-2h15.
- Amsterdam: There are four trains an hour from Amsterdam, but the trip has been complicated by the damaged Friesen bridge that will not be replaced until 2024. The train and bus combinations will take 4h16-5h30, and can be booked through Deutsche Bahn.
- Groningen: Travel to/from Groningen (generally requires a transfer in Leer (D) and from there on to Oldenburg. Be aware of the border crossing after Nieuweschans. You can't use a Dutch ticket to go to Germany.
You can reach Oldenburg from the A1, A7, A27 and E22 highway.
FlixBus operate direct buses from the North side of the 2 Long Distance Bus Station (ZOB)
- Hamburg: 7 buses per day (2h25-2h35, 9-20€)
- Amsterdam Sloterdijk: 4 buses per day (4h35-5h10, 17-20€).
Advance booking through the FlixBus website is recommended, because it is cheaper and the buses do fill up.
- See also: Intercity buses in Germany
Oldenburg prides itself on cycling, and has extensive bicycle paths within the town and to adjacent towns. Bicycle rentals are available downtown from Vosgerau Am Damm (6,50€/day), Fahrradzentrum Oldenburg (10€/day), Swapfiets (17.5€/month). The Fahhradselbsthilfewerkstatt (bicycle repair shop) at Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg also rents out bikes at around 20€/month.
Frequent local buses are operated by VWG, with route and timetable information also available in Google Maps Navigation. You can buy tickets on the bus (2€45), but is slightly cheaper to buy a set of 4 rides (8€20), a day pass (7€) or a multi-day pass.
- 1 Schloss Oldenburg (Oldenburg Palace), Schloßpl. 16, 26122 Oldenburg, Germany. Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00. A well-reviewed collection of rooms and art, but the appeal may be limited by the lack of English signage. 6€ standard, 1€50 children, 10€ family.
- 2 St. Lambertikirche, Markt 17. Built between 1155 and 1234
- Oldenburg Film Festival. September
- 1 Schlossgarten Oldenburg (Oldenburg Palace Garden). April - September 08:00-20:00. A 16 hectare public park next to downtown, with curving paths, a multitude of lakes/ponds, and some of the oldest rhododendrons in Germany. Free.
- Bremen is very close, see the "by train" section.
Carl von Ossietzky University (founded 1973) is an important regional university.
- 1 Schlosshöfe Oldenburg, Schloßpl. 3, 26122 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Sat 09:30-20:00. The largest mall downtown, with a pay-parking lot and a food court. A good option for rainy days downtown.
- 2 Einkaufsland Wechloy, Posthalterweg 10, 26129 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Sat 09:00-20:00. The largest mall in the area, and the home of one of Oldenburg's largest supermarkets (Famila XXL Wechloy). The mall has free parking, and there are a range of businesses in the surrounding area.
- There are a host of eateries in the city center, including a variety of doener stands, Chinese Food, a McDonalds and a Burger King.
- On weekdays the Pferdemarkt ("horse market") hosts a market at which you can buy fresh baked breads, vegetables, meats, but no horses.
- The largest supermarkets are Real Stubbenweg, and the Famila XXL Wechloy. Smaller supermarkets include Lidl, Aldi, Penny, Rewe and Aktiv-Irma.
- 1 Müller & Egerer, Nadorster Str. 222, 26123 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Fri 05:30-18:00, Sat-Sun 07:00-17:00. Part of a regional bakery chain, this location has a nice cafe and does a very popular Sunday all-inclusive breakfast buffet.
- Arabic shops, Ritterstraße (Near Poststraße towards the city center). There are 2 Arabic shops where they tend to have more kinds of vegetables and things you wouldn't find in any other normal supermarket. Starting with cheese and ending with polenta.
- 2 Biggie B, Haarenstraße 9, 26122 Oldenburg, ☎ . Among burger connoisseurs, these are considered the best burgers in town.
- 3 Mom's Diner, Donnerschweer Str. 121A, 26123 Oldenburg, ☎ . 16:00 - 22:00. More of a higher end "burgers and fries" place than a diner. Good burgers, authentic American curly fries, decent mainstream/Mexican beers and great service.
- 4 Restaurant Rondell, Poststraße 8, 26122 Oldenburg, ☎ . 17:00 - 00:00. It's an inauthentic local rendition of an inauthentic version of Mexican food, but the food is passable and it has decent cocktails and a nice outdoor seating area.
- 5 , Bahnhofsplatz 12 A, 26122 Oldenburg, Germany, ☎ . Mon-Sat 11:00-15:00 18:00-23:00. A popular choice for solidly executed regional dishes.
- 6 Patio, Bahnhofstraße 11, 26122 Oldenburg, ☎ . 17:30 - 01:00. Widely considered to have the best cocktails in town, with a laid-back ambiance and good food. Not cheap, but good value.
- 7 Kleine Burg (Small Castle). Mon-Fri 12:00-15:00 17:30-00:00, Sat 12:00-16:00 17:30-01:00. Popular with locals for a nice night out, this restaurant serves traditional German/European fare.
- 8 Antalya Restaurant. Mon-Sat 17:30-23:00, Sun 12:00-14:30 17:30-23:00. High end Turkish, with great ambiance, food and service. A bit of trek (7km) South of downtown.
- 9 Bei Franz (At Franz), Donnerschweer Str. 6, 26123 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Sat 18:00-00:00, 12:00-14:30 18:00-00:00. A popular steakhouse
- 1 Patio, Bahnhofstraße 11, 26122 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Thu 17:30-01:00, Fri-Sat 17:30-02:00. Widely considered to have the best cocktails in town.
- 2 Strohhalm Gaststättenbetriebs, Wallstraße 1A, 26122 Oldenburg, Germany. 10:00-03:00. A popular part of the "Wall Street" bar area. Stronhalm ("drinking straw") shows live sports, has outdoor seating, and allows smoking inside.
- 3 Havana, Donnerschweer Str. 8, 26123 Oldenburg, Germany. Mon-Thu 18:00-02:00, Fri 18:00-02:30, Sat 15:00-02:30, Sun 17:30-00:00. A popular bar/restaurant with decent cocktails and a beer garden.
- 1 DJH Youth Hostel (DJH Jugendherberge Oldenburg), Alexanderstr. 65, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. € 19-25.30.
|Routes through Oldenburg|
|Groningen ← Leer ←||W E||→ Delmenhorst → Bremen|