- See also: Soviet Union
During Soviet times and early years of independent Estonia, until up to 1994, the city was a “closed city”, i.e., off-limits to foreigners, non-resident Soviet citizens, even non-resident Estonians themselves, because of its military importance. Today, it’s open to everyone and deserves a visit by those interested in the grey world of the Soviet Union (Paldiski and the Pakri peninsula are covered with abandoned bunkers, piles of unidentifiable junk and various military debris).
The scenes taking place in a location introduced to the audience as “somewhere in the former Soviet Union” in the film Lilya 4-Ever were actually shot in Paldiski.
There is a train service to/from Tallinn Balti Jaam. The trip takes about 1h 10min and it costs 2€.
Bus schedules can be checked at the Tpilet homepage.
From Tallinn, buses depart from Balti Jaam bus station in the west of the city. It costs nearly 3€ but is a more interesting ride than the train.
Paldiski is a 45 km drive from Tallinn.
- Pakri lighthouse & bank, Majaka tee (4 km from Paldiski centrum). A view of the Baltic sea.
The train arrives at a station in the middle of nowhere. The bus came from the left of the station which could be where the town lies. Opposite the station is a pile of old building rubble and some sorry looking housing blocks. There is a ferry port and DFDS sail from there.
- There are two grocery stores.
- The locals shop at a few kiosks, located in a dilapidated lot, which sell various supplies.
- The newly renovated train station has a cafe which serves hot food. This cafe was not open in October 2013 and the railway station itself appeared to be disused.
- Hotel Valge Laev has a restaurant/bar.
- Peetri Toll serves food.
- Peetri Pizza, Rae 17, ☏ . Mon–Sun 11–21. pizzeria
- Peetri Toll. Is a new tavern.
- There is an alcohol shop.
- Valge Laev. With six guest rooms.
- Paldiski Tuule B&B. A new bed & breakfast,
- Laulasmaa, small coastal village, 20km west from Paldiski
- Nõva, beautiful village with untouched pine forests and clean beach