Pomáz (German: Paumasch) is a city in Pest megye. It is on the HÉV (commuter train) line Budapest - Szentendre northwest from Budapest. It's neighbor towns are Budakalász (south), Csobánka (west) and Szentendre (north). A popular place to start trips in the Pilis mountains.
Pomáz is the entrance of the Pilis.The village situated on the valley of Dera-stream with more than a 16000 habitants. Virtually be built with Budakalász. Volcanic (origin) mountains of its: the Nagy-Csikóvár and the Kőhegy Mountain. These mountatins and the Holdvilág-árok (ditch) are still attracts people who just would like to take a short trip on a day off.
From Budapest you can take the HÉV (commuter train) H5 line, the ride takes 30 mins from Batthiány Square, 22 mins from Árpád Bridge. For the part within Budapest (last stop is Békásmegyer) you need a single ticket or a valid pass for Budapest public transport, for the rest you have to buy a supplement ticket. You can buy them together at bigger stations, just say where you are going. You will pay €1,5-2 in HUF. HÉV timetable
Alternatively you can take a bus from the Pest end of Árpád híd, but these buses are not coming to Pomáz, they are going on route 11, so you need to arrange something for the rest 2-3 kms. The way easier is the HÉV.
By car it is easy to access from the route M11
The bus going to Dobogókő stops several times between the HÉV station and the northern end of Pomáz. Also there are private companies running transportation services within Pomáz with vans, but they are more expensive.
Most sights are in the main square, the biggest attraction is the Wattay-Teleki-castle. It has been renovated recently, it's a home for a music school, open for visitors.
You can take a walk in the forest in Csikóváralja, it's a very popular weekend destination for people of Budapest. Very good restaurant waits for you after the trip.
- Calvinist Church (Református templom), Hősök tere 1. (in the center of the town), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. was built between 1814 and 1828 in classicism style. Most of the inside furniture are as old as the church. Admission: free.
- Orthodox church (Szerb ortodox templom), Szerb utca, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours: On Monday closed, guide: by appointment. , this church was built in the 14th. century in Gothic style, and between 1719-1722 rebuilt in baroque style. The iconostasis and the bishop's throne is very important Baroque works.
- Teleki-Wattay Castle Hotel (Teleki-Wattay-kastély), Templom tér 3. a eclectic style, monument hotel. The building has got 16 rooms. The other 8 rooms are for exhibitions
- Roman Catholic Church (Római katolikus templom és plébánia), Templom tér 8, ☏ , email@example.com. The church was built in 1768 in Baroque style.
- Local History Collection (Helytörténeti Gyűjtemény).
- State foundation Monument (Hon alapítási Emlékmű).
- Hungarian Ethnographic Collection (Néprajzi Gyűjtemény).
- Serbian Minority Collection (Szerb Nemzetiségi Gyűjtemény), Kossuth utca 48.
- Serbian memorial cross (Szerb emlékkereszt), Ravatalozó utca. Gothic
- Monastery ruins (Kolostorrom) (close to Pilisszentkerszt road, northwest cca. one and half km).
- Fáy Mansion (Fáy Kúria), Fáy András u.. A monument built in Eclectic style.
- Luppa mausoleum, Radnai villa (Luppa-mauzóleum, Radnai-villa). Monuents
The bus to the Pilis Mountains leave from the HÉV station of Pomáz very often. You can go to Dobogókő or other nice places for a day trip or longer (it's not difficult to find a tourist house or any other place to spend the night). For the bus timetable, visit this: Volánbusz (write Pomáz and Dobogókő).
- Hungarian Castle Camp (Magyar Vár Tábor), Majdán 1, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. dance, crafts, runic writing, horse riding and archery.
There are a few pubs in Pomáz, but for real evening entertainment you need to go to Budapest.
- Stefano Pizzeria, Hősök tere 7., ☏ , fax: . A funky and modern style of bar with fast food offer
- Bull Pub, Hév station, ☏ , fax: . Beers and fast food
- Rákospince wine cellar Restaurant, Beniczky utca 63., T:+36 26 325355, f:+36 26 525366].
- Udvaros Restaurant, Mártírok útja 1-3., ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
Also here are a couple tipically traditional Hungarian restaurants like Kincsem restaurant
- Teleki-Wattay Castle Hotel, Templom tér 3., ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. sgl/dbl rooms from HUF10000/12000 (2014).
- Csikóváraljai Touristhouse, Dobogókői út, ☏ , fax: .
- Pension Tutti, Budakalászi utca 14, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
- Kara Hotel, Beniczky utca 63., ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.