Rockwall is an extremely fast growing suburb of Dallas. It is adjacent to Lake Ray Hubbard, a major water supply for Dallas and popular lake for recreation. On clear days, the skyscrapers in Downtown Dallas can be seen to the southwest.
Many commuters that live in Rockwall work in Dallas. In addition, many people from less populated areas from the east shop and eat in the city's many stores and restaurants.
Since the area is growing quickly, many areas of Rockwall are constantly under major construction, although conditions are slowly improving and becoming more stable.
You can fly into DFW Airport (35 miles west), which has most major airlines, such as American. Or fly into Love Field (25 miles west) if you are traveling on Southwest.
There is no bus or light rail service from either airport to Rockwall. Get a taxi, rental car, or private car instead.
Traffic can get heavy on the I-30 bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard, especially during rush hour when commuters are going to or coming from work. If you are coming from Rowlett or Garland, SH 66 could be faster.
Many stores and restaurants are along I-30. However, you have to use the busy frontage roads to access them, which can be a bit tricky for travelers not from the area.
SH 205 (Goliad Street), SH 66, and FM (Farm-to-Market Road) 740 (Ridge Road) are other major streets that run through Rockwall. Most businesses in the city are along these roads.
Most major streets in Rockwall have good sidewalks.
- The Harbor, 2074 Summer Lee Dr (turn onto Summer Lee Drive from either Ridge Road (FM 740) or Horizon Road, both accessible from I-30). Overlooks Lake Ray Hubbard. Has many shops, restaurants, activities, and a Cinemark Theatre.
There are many shops on the south side of I-30 between Ridge Road (FM 740) and Goliad Street (SH 205).
There are many restaurants on either side of I-30, particularly the south side.
- Chiloso Mexican Bistro, 2455 Ridge Rd (Exit 67(B) from I-30 to Ridge Road (FM 740) northward), ☏ , fax: . M-F 6AM-10PM, Sa Su 7AM-10PM. Great local "Tex-Mex" food: burritos, tacos, nachos, salads, and tortilla soup. Catering and takeaway. $5-10.
- Joe Willy's, 2006 South Goliad St (Exit 68 from I-30 to SH 205 north.), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-10PM, F 11AM-11PM, Sa 10:30AM-11PM, Su 10:30AM-10PM. A popular place for locals to eat. Main: burgers (~$6), sandwiches (~$6.50), salads ($2-8), chicken fried steak, and chicken strips. Sides: fries, onion rings, fried mushrooms and fried pickles, and chips. Drinks: all the usual, plus bottled pop and hand-dipped shakes (~$3.50). $5-10.
- Hemisphere Brewing Company, 2015 Kristy Ln, ☏ , Info@HemisphereBrewing.com. Th F 4-10PM, Sa 1-10PM, Su-W closed.
- Hilton Dallas/Rockwall Lakefront, 2055 Summer Lee Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 1 Rockwall County Library, 1215 E Yellowjacket Ln (Turn eastward onto Yellowjacket Lane from Goliad Street (SH 205) and go a quarter of a mile), ☏ , fax: . M W 10AM-6PM, Tu Th 10AM-8PM, F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, Su closed. Completed in 2008. Has patios and balconies, café with vending machines, free wireless internet, meeting spaces and study rooms, children's area, teen center, public computers.
|Routes through Rockwall|
|Dallas ← Garland ←||W E||→ Greenville → Texarkana|
|Texarkana ← Greenville ←||N S||→ Garland → Dallas|