Saint-Georges is a town in Chaudière-Appalaches, Quebec. Saint-Georges is often considered the metropolis of Beauce Region because it's the largest city in the region.
Comprising around 31,000 people (2011), this is a pleasant town with a friendly population and fine services. Here, perhaps more than other places closer to Quebec city, you can witness the American influence on this area of southern Quebec; Walmart and McDonald's are commonplace, whether or not this is a good thing.
Saint-Georges is an important manufacturing centre, including textiles, steel forgings, garage doors, bicycles and truck trailers. The town is home to the headquarters of the Canam Group, a construction solutions company, and Manac (trailers), the biggest semi-trailer manufacturer in Canada.
In the late 17th century, at which point the region was inhabited principally by Algonquin First Nations (aboriginal) people. The first European presence recorded is that of a Jesuit missionary, Father Gabriel Druillettes, who made three visits in 1646, 1650 and, finally, in 1651, but there was no colonial settlement established at this time. By the middle of the next century, however, two colonial "seigneuries" had been established on the present site of Saint-Georges: these were Aubin-de-l'Isle and Aubert-Gallion.
- Autobus Breton, ☏ +1-418-228-8096, toll-free: +1-800-550-7496. Operates a daily bus route between Quebec City and the city of Saint-Georges including at stop in Sainte-Foy. Travel time to Quebec City from Saint Georges is 2.25-2.5 hours.
- 1 Saint-Georges Aerodrome. No scheduled flights; private aviation only.
- Taxibus Saint-Georges, ☏ +1 418-221-0066.
- Taxi du Pont, ☏ +1 418-227-7777.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:29PM local time and lasts 2 min 30 sec. The chances of a clear sky are 20%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio, straddling the Canada–New England border through Lakes Erie and Ontario, then across Maine, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
- Eglise Saint-Georges, 1890 1re Rue Ouest, ☏ +1 418-228-2558. Built 1845 to 1848. The organ, in the centre of the upper gallery, was made and installed in 1888 by Eusèbe Brodeur (1839-1913), a famous Quebec organ builder. It is one of the oldest instruments of its kind preserved in Quebec. There are stained glass windows by the Bernard Leonard House of Quebec City in the windows of the choir (1897).
- Village Miniature Baillargeon, 3815 Route President Kennedy, Notre-Dame-des-Pins (about 6 km away). July Aug: daily 10:00-17:00; out of season: by appointment. Miniature copies of famous and local buildings including the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower, the World Trade Center in New York, made by a local retired man. In an outdoor setting, you will walk through narrow streets amongst the miniature buildings. Visit lasts about 1 hr 15 min. Accessible to people with reduced mobility. Parking and picnic area. Adult $8.00, seniors $7.50, student (6 to 18 years) $5.00, child (5 and under) free.
- Island of Pozer Park (Island of Pozer), Avenue de la Chaudiere. This island, in the middle of the town, is accessible by foot bridges. Walking and biking circuit, water fountain, statues, sculputures, and flower gardens. A children's play park, several exercise stations, and public toilets.
- Parc des Sept-Chutes, 49e Rue. The hiking trails follow 7 waterfalls. Play area and volleyball courts.
- LNAH hockey. The Saint-Georges Cool FM 103.5 play at Centre Sportif Lacroix-Dutil.
- Carrefour Saint-Georges, 8585 Boulevard Lacroix. M-W 09:30-17:30, Th F 09:30-21:00, Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 12:00-17:00. The largest shopping mall in the region.
- Casse Croute Urbain, 12367 1ere Ave. Tu 16:30-19:00; W 11:00-14:15, 16:30-19:00; Th F 11:00-14:15, 16:00-20:00; Sa 11:30-14:30, 16:00-20:00; Su 11:30-13:30, 15:30-19:00. Pizza, poutine, hot dogs, burgers.
- La Vieille Tablee, 437, 6e Avenue Nord, ☏ +1 418-222-0234. Tu-F 11:00 - 14:00, Tu-Sa 17:00 - 22:00. Rustic decor, homemade food.
- Cafe Royal, 12015 2e Ave, ☏ +1 418-228-3952. Tu-Th 10:30-21:00, F 10:30-22:30, Sa-Su 11:00-22:30. Opened 1937 on the coronation day of King George VI, decorated in the romantic style of the South of France. Fish, game, grilled meat. Lunch $11-19, dinner $12-20.
- La Societe Microbrasserie, 11640 1ere Avenue, ☏ +1 418-226-4646. Daily 11:00-03:00. Brew pub.
- La Cage, 455 90e Rue, ☏ +1 418-227-8181. M Tu 18:00-21:00 (kitchen), -22:00 (bar); W 18:00-21:00 (kitchen), -23:00 (bar); Th F 18:00-00:00 (kitchen), -01:00 (bar); Sa 19:00-00:00 (kitchen), -01:00 (bar); 19:00-21:00 (kitchen), -22:00 (bar). Sports pub.
- Le Georgesville, 300, 118e Rue, ☏ +1-418-227-3000, toll-free: +1-800-463-3003. Restaurant, bar/lounge, fitness centre, pool, spa, free Wi-Fi and parking. From $119.
- Motel Alexandrin, 18610 boulevard Lacroix, ☏ +1 418-228-8248. There are quieter rooms at the back for $5-10 more. Single from $65, double from $69.
- Gite la Serenade, 8835, 35e Avenue, ☏ +1 418-228-1059. Bed and breakfast and antique store. From $100.
|Routes through Saint-Georges|
|Quebec City ← Lévis ←||N S||→ END|
|Quebec City ← Lévis ←||N S||→ → becomes → Jackman → Augusta|