The main attraction of Schriesheim is its Altstadt. The town's landmark is the Strahlenburg Castle, the ruins of which are perched on a hill overlooking the town. The main street of the Altstadt is Heidelberger Straße. But you should also walk nearby cross streets as well as along the creek Kanzelbach running just north of Talstraße.
RNV tram line 5 runs along the Bergstraße road from Weinheim to Heidelberg and is part of the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Neckar (VRN) public transportation network. Since ticket vending machines along the tram line accept only coins, you should try to purchase a VRN day ticket from a railway station ticket office (DB Reisezentrum) or a railway ticket machine (DB Automat).
Get off the tram at the stop Schriesheim Bahnhof. Walk about 200 metres north from the tram stop to Bahnhofstraße and then walk about 300 meters east to Heidelberger Straße where you will start seeing the older buildings of the Altstadt. (Google Maps incorrectly shows the Schriesheim Bahnhof stop at Bahnhofstraße instead of 200 meters further south.)
If you are travelling by tram from Weinheim, the scenery is more attractive from the east side of the tram which gives views of vineyards against the Odenwald mountain range in the background.
The Altstadt (old town centre) is small and thus quite walkable.
Within the Altstadt
- Altes Rathaus & Stadtbrunnen, Marktplatz. Half-timbered town hall built in 1684 and the town fountain(Stadtbrunnen).
- Mariä Himmelfahrt Catholic Church. Built at the beginning of the 18th century in the baroque style and dedicated in 1711. In 1959/1960, the baroque interior was replaced by a modern design. You can identify the church by the onion shaped tip of the steeple.
- Knabenschulhaus, Schulgasse 3. Schoolhouse for boys.
- Strahlenberger Grundschule (Strahlenberg elementary school), Schulgasse.
- "Zum Goldenen Hirsch" und "Zum Deutschen Kaiser", Heidelberger Straße 1 and 3. Two inns (Gasthaus) of half-timbered construction erected in 1682.
- House of Pastor Conrad Widerholt, Rosengasse 2 (behind the Rathaus). Half-timbered house built in 1662. Original inscriptions in Greek and Hebrew characters are in the woodwork.
- Strahlenberger Hof, Kirchstraße 2. Built in 1240, this is the oldest building within the Rhine-Neckar region. Today the building is occupied by Sternegastronomie.
- Ölmühle (Kanzelbach, a creek north of Talstraße). apparently a oil mill converted to residences with a creek (Kanzelbach) flowing between the buildings. Part of the creek looks like an old mill race.
- Remains of the old town walls, Heidelberger Straße 28 & Leutershäuser Straße 9.
Outside the Altstadt
- Strahlenburg. Castle built in the 13th century that fell into ruins since the 16th century. There is an inn (Burggasthof) within the castle walls. An exterior terrasse gives a wide view of the Rhine plain.
- Winzergenossenschaft Schriesheim eG, Heidelberger Straße 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Open Monday to Friday 8:00 to 18:00, Saturday 8:00 to 13:00.. Wine tasting and wine tours offered.
- Weingut Biehlig, Aussiedlerhof 5A, ☏ . Open Friday from 14:00 to 18:00..
- Weingut Wehweck, Talstraße 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open Monday to Saturday 8:00 to 19:00.. Wine tasting offered.
- Weingut Majer, Bismarckstraße 40, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday,to Friday (8:00 to 13:00, 15:00 to 18.30 (except Wednesdays), Saturday 8:00 to 13:00.. Wine tasting offered.
- Hotel und Restaurant Neues Ludwigstal, Strahlenberger Straße 2, ☏ .
- Hotel Restaurant Scheid, Talstraße 176, ☏ .
- Hotel Restaurant Kaiser, Talstraße 44, ☏ .
- Waldhotel Luisenhöhe, Eichenweg 6, ☏ .
- Hotel-Weinstuben Hauser, Steinachstr. 12, ☏ .
- Zur Pfalz, Römerstraße 2, ☏ .
- The Bergstraße has other towns having a rustic old town centre (Altstadt).