Seosan (서산) is a city in South Chungcheong, South Korea.
Seosan is located along the west coast of South Korea. It shares Cheonsuman Bay, which is one of the most famous migration staging areas for birds in South Korea, with other cities. The city government built a theme park, Seosan Birdland, where you can see models of migratory birds and learn some information about them. Out of urban areas, you can visit Buddhist temples and monuments. Yeonghyeon-ri Rock-carved Buddha Triad, which was made in the Baekje Dynasty, is considered very important, because it has unusual structure.
Seosan has no train station, so you should take a bus to reach the city. You can take express buses for this city in Express Bus Terminal in Seoul.
- Seosan Bus Terminal, 190, Angyeon-ro, ☏ +82 1688-4813.
Seohaean Expressway goes through Seosan.
- Palbongsan Mountain (팔봉산).
- Gayasan Mountain (가야산).
- Hwanggeumsan Mountain (황금산).
- 1 Haemieupseong Castle. This castle is one of the most noted places in Seosan. General Yi Sun-sin worked here for a while. Over hundred Korean Christians were executed here during Joseon Dynasty. Seosan City Government is developing tourism programs based on this place, including Haemieupseong Festival.
- 2 Yeonghyeon-ri Rock-carved Buddha Triad, 65-13, Maaesamjonbul-gil, Unsan-myeon, ☏ +82 041 660-2538. National Treasure No. 84. It is noted for its mysterious smile that changes according to the direction of light.
- 3 Kim Gi-hyeon's House (서산 김기현 가옥, 서산 경주김씨 고택), 45, Handari-gil, Eumam-myeon.
- 4 Bowonsa Temple Site (보원사지), 119-1, Yonghyeon-ri, Unsan-myeon, ☏ +82 041 660-3023.
- 5 Gaesimsa Temple (개심사), Gaesimsa-ro, Unsan-myeon, ☏ +82 041 688-2256.
- 6 Munsusa Temple (문수사), 201, Munsugol-gil, Unsan-myeon, ☏ +82 041 663-3925.
- 7 Cheonjangsa Temple (천장사), 100, Cheonjangsa-gil, Gobuk-myeon, ☏ +82 041 663-0445.
- 8 Ganworam Hermitage (간월암), ☏ +82 041 668-6624. At low tide, it is connected to shore; on the other hand, at high tide, it becomes an island.
- 9 [dead link] Ryubangtaek Science Museum (서산류방택천문기상과학관), 151-8, Aejeong-ri, Inji-myeon, ☏ +82 041 669-8496. 14:00-22:00 (Sep-Apr) / 15:00-23:00 (May-Aug) / closed Mondays. This place was built to commemorate Ryu Bang-taek, who was born in Seosan and completed a map of the sky in Joseon Dynasty. You can join in Ryu Bang-taek Star Festival every May. Adult ₩3,000 / Youth ₩2,000.
- 10 Seosan Birdland (서산버드랜드), 655-73, Cheonsuman-ro, Buseok-myeon, ☏ +82 041 661-8054. 10:00-18:00 (Mar-Oct) / 10:00-17:00 (Nov-Feb). Adult ₩3,000 / Youth ₩2,000.
- Palbongsan Potato Festival (Everywhere in Palbongsan Mountain), ☏ +82 041 660-2435. every June.
- Seosan Haemieupseong Festival (Everywhere in Haemieupseong Castle), ☏ +82 041 660-2498. every October.
- Ryubangtaek Star Festival.