Setúbal is a city in Estremadura, Portugal, on the northern bank of the Sado River estuary. The city is connected with the nearby Arrábida hills natural park, which offers an unspoiled nature and beautiful beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. A dolphin colony inhabits the Sado River. Across the river on the south bank lies the peninsula of Tróia, a place with vast white/golden sand beaches where several luxury hotels and resorts have been built. The Tróia peninsula can be sighted from the city, across the river. Albarquel, Figueirinha, Galápos, Galapinhos, Creiro and Portinho da Arrábida are some of the city's many beaches, located in the north bank of the estuary, at the very beginning of the Arrábida hills.
Setúbal (s(ih)-TOO-bahl, /sɨ.ˈtu.baɫ/) is a coastal town, known for its fishing activities, traditions and industrial area. It's the capital of the Setúbal district. You might also want to check out Serra da Arrábida, for the nature part of Setúbal.
Setúbal is notable for the industries of pulp, paper, cement, fertilizers, pesticides, other phytopharmaceutical products, thermal power, shipbuilding and ship repair. There is a lot of automobile assembling industr. The Port of Setúbal was the 4th busiest port in Portugal in 2012, with 7.4% of the cargo throughput in the country.
- 1 Casa da Baía - Centro de Promoção Turística (Bay house - Tourist promotion center), Avenida Luísa Todi, 468, ☏ +351 265545010. 09:00-22:30. free.
The nearest airport is Humberto Delgado Airport (IATA: LIS) in Lisbon.
You can access Setúbal by trains from Lisbon, and most towns in the surrounding area. You also have lots of trains from anywhere to Lisbon, if there is not a direct train to Setúbal, you might want to consider getting one to Lisbon, and then to Setúbal. Also, if you are already downtown in the vicinity of Praça de Comércio, you don't have to backtrack to any of the rail stations, but can instead take a ferry from Terreiro do Paço terminal to Barreiro across the river and pick up a train from there; it's a different branch than the Lisbon-Setúbal line, and the combined travel time would be about the same.
- 1 Setubal Railway Station (Estação Ferroviária de Setúbal), Estrada dos Ciprestes - Edificio REFER. Setúbal central station where the Fertagus and CP- Comboios de Portugal train companies operate.
- 2 Praça do Quebedo station, Largo da Estação Ferroviária, Praça do Quebedo.
- 3 Apeadeiro de Praias do Sado-A, Rua Principal das Praias do Sado. CP Services: Lisbon Urban Trains; Lines: Sado Line.
It shouldn't be a problem to find your way, Setúbal is a major town in the area, so, if you are around, you will have signs to point out your way. It is approximately 48 km (30 miles) south of Lisbon.
There are buses that serve from Lisbon to Setúbal every day and almost every hour a day, if you're in the capital it won't be a problem. There are also buses that serve the surrounding area towns.
The Tróia is a peninsula near Setúbal, and that is probably the only way to commercially reach Setúbal by boat.
- 4 Ferry Tróia (Atlantic Ferries), ☏ +351 265 235 101, email@example.com. The ferry terminals are located at Doca das Fontainhas, in Setúbal and Cais Sul in Troia (next to the Soltroia urbanization). Average Ferry time travel: 25 minutes.
The Catamaran terminals are located in Cais 3, in Setúbal and next to the Marina of Troia. Average Catamaran time travel: 15 minutes.
- 5 Taxi Boat, ☏ +351 913 292 058, firstname.lastname@example.org. Taxi-boat service to Tróia as well as to the beaches of Setúbal.
The historic center of Setúbal, as well as the adjacent Avenida Luisa Todi, are flat and great to walk around, and where you can find a number of attractions, including the Livramento Market, the Convento de Jesus and the Setúbal Museum, on your way. If you can, stop for a meal at one of the many restaurants there.
It is mandatory to take a tour, by car, motorbike or tuk-tuk, through Serra da Arrábida. Start at the end of Avenida Luisa Todi and walk through the Arrábida Natural Park where you will pass by fantastic beaches and stop at the viewpoints with a magnificent view over the Bay, considered one of the most beautiful bays in the world.
Buses serve the whole town and are generally OK on schedules and quality.
By Tuk Tuk
- 6 Zé da Mota Tuk Tuk Tours, Avenida Luísa Todi 279, 2900-429, ☏ +351 919 145 558, email@example.com.
- 7 Trotinetes elétricas Bolt (Bolt Electric Scooters). The parks are located on Avenida Luísa Todi, in the east and west, in the Parque Urbano de Albarquel, in the squares of Bocage and do Brasil, in the ferry dock, in the Convento de Jesus and in Avenida Rodrigues Manito.
Stroll through downtown Setúbal on foot and discover the best of the city. Just ask how you can get to Avenida Luísa Todi, and the rest will work out just fine. You can see some of the nicer monuments, architecture and daily life there. Also, at the end of the venue you will enter Arrábida. And anywhere to the sides is filled with shops and typical streets with humble tascas (small coffee shops) where some of the best seafood in the country is served at cheap prices.
- 1 Livramento Market (Mercado do Livramento), Avenida Luisa Todi 173, 2900-462.
- 2 Castle of S. Filipe (Castelo de São Filipe), Estrada do Castelo de São Filipe, 2900-300. 16th century castle on the north bank of the Sado river, overlooking the city, classified as a National Monument of Portugal.
- 3 Moinho de Maré da Mourisca (Mourisca Tidemill), Herdade da Mourisca. Tu-Su 09:30-19:30, M closed.. The Mourisca Tidemill, located in Sado Estuary Nature Reserve, is one of four known tidal mills in the Sado Estuary, and is in a prime location for birdwatching.
- 4 7ª Bataria do Outão - Coastal Battery, N379-1. Abandoned Coastal Battery overlooking the entry into Setubal's harbor and the sandy coast southwards. Amazing views and ghostly buildings. Free.
- 5 Igreja do Convento de Jesus (Monastery of Jesus of Setúbal), Largo de Jesus. National monument. free.
- 6 Interpretation Center of the Common Bottlenose Dolphin of Sado Estuary (CIRES), Avenida Luísa Todi 470. M-Su 09:30-20:00. This interpretation center has an exhibition on the Sado Estuary Common Bottlenose Dolphin colony, the only one in a Portuguese estuary and one of only three communities of these mammals residing in the European maritime space. Free.
- 7 Arrábida Nature Park.
- 8 Palácio e Quinta da Bacalhoa, Estrada Nacional 10, ☏ +351 916 485 206. The visit to the Palácio da Bacalhôa is carried out on a guided tour, with an average duration of 1h30; Guided tours: 10:00 and 15:00 (other times on request). Price: € 8.
- 9 Estação Arqueológica do Creiro (Roman ruins of Creiro).
- 10 Miradouro do Portinho da Arrábida, Estrada Nacional 379-1. Free.
You might want to go to Arrábida to enjoy nature at its best in the Setúbal area, but be careful, it's really not that hard to get lost there. Also, in Avenida Luisa Todi, and if want to experience the typical morning for many people, you can go to the fish market and see things around. Theatre Luisa Todi, if you are a theatre fan; shows will be in Portuguese, though.
You can also go for a walk in Albarquel Urban Park, near the Luisa Todi avenue.
- Watch football at Vitória FC. In 2020 they fell foul of registration requirements and were double-relegated to Campeonato de Portugal, the third tier of soccer in the country. Their home ground Estádio do Bonfim (capacity 15,000) is next to the park.
Dolphin watching tour
- 1 Vertigem Azul (Blue Vertigo), Rua Praia da Saúde 11D, 2900-572, ☏ +351 265 238 000, firstname.lastname@example.org. Dolphin watching tour in the bay of Setúbal.
- 2 Dolphin Bay, Av. José Mourinho, Cais 1, ☏ +351 937 882 746, email@example.com. Dolphin watching tour in the bay of Setúbal.
Visit Wine Cellars
- 3 José Maria da Fonseca, Rua José Augusto Coelho 11, Azeitão, ☏ +351 212 198 940, firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-12:00, 14:30-17:30. Family winery since 1834.
- 4 Quinta de Alcube, Alto das Necessidades, ☏ +351 212 191 566, email@example.com. 9:00–13:00 14:00–18:00, Su closed.. Guided tour, with wine tasting, by appointment.
- 5 Bacalhôa Vinhos de Portugal, Estrada Nacional 10, Azeitão, ☏ +351 212 198 060, firstname.lastname@example.org. Guided tour, with wine tasting, by appointment.
- 6 Galapinhos Beach (Praia de Galapinhos), Rua Círio da Arrábida, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Galapinhos beach, in the Arrábida Nature Park, in Setúbal, was considered the most beautiful beach in Europe in 2017 by European Best Destinations. Travelers from all over the world decided it was "the most beautiful beach in Europe, the perfect beach in unspoiled nature". Free.
- 7 Figueirinha Beach (Praia da Figueirinha), Rua Orlando Curto, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Beach in Serra da Arrábida. Free.
- 8 Albarquel Beach (Praia de Albarquel), Estrada da Rasca, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Beach in Serra da Arrábida. Free.
- 9 Galápos Beach (Praia de Galápos), Rua Círio da Arrábida, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Beach in Serra da Arrábida. Free.
- 10 Creiro Beach (Praia do Creiro), Rua Círio da Arrábida, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Beach in Serra da Arrábida. Free.
- 11 Coelhos Beach (Praia dos Coelhos), Rua Círio da Arrábida, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Beach in Serra da Arrábida. Free.
- 12 Saúde Beach (Praia da Saúde), Avenida José Mourinho, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Urban beach in Setúbal. Free.
- 13 Parque Urbano de Albarquel (Albarquel Urban Park), Avenida José Mourinho, ☏ +351 265 545 010. Open 24 hours a day. At the foot of the Arrábida mountain range and next to the Sado river, this green space, with about four hectares, offers a fantastic view over the Sado river estuary and the Tróia peninsula. Ideal place for the practice of sports, where cycling is allowed, it houses the Municipal Center of Marcha e Corrida de Setúbal (Setúbal walking and running center). This park, in addition to a viewpoint, also has a children's playground, restaurant, café-bar with a terrace and an exhibition gallery. Free.
Tourist caves and dissemination of speleological heritage in Setúbal
- 14 Lapa de Santa Margarida (St. Margaret's Grotto).
- 15 Gruta da Figueira Brava (Figueira Brava Cave). The Gruta da Figueira Brava is an obligatory stop for those who do not suffer from claustrophobia, as it was there that traces of the Neanderthal Man were found.
There are several schools in Setúbal, and a polytechnic institute that is becoming nationally famous for its quality. It offers courses on the most varied areas ranging from Sports to Business Administration, Nursing or Mechanical Engineering.
There are many shops spread around the city, as normal. In the Luisa Todi area you will find many small shops and bigger clothing shops mostly. And there is the Shopping Center Alegro Setúbal, for your bigger needs.
- 1 Livramento Market (Mercado do Livramento). 07:30–14:00. Fresh food market.
- 2 Bolacha Piedade, Avenida Luisa Todi 502, ☏ +351 265 230 875, email@example.com. Mo–Sat 07:00–19:00; Su closed.
- 3 Pedaços de Mar, Rua Vasco da Gama 34, ☏ +351 265 533 019, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Su 10:00–23:00, closed M.
- 4 Olaria Nova, Rua António José Batista 34, ☏ +351 919 527 673, email@example.com. Manual manufacture of pottery pieces according to the traditional method.
- Regional products that you can also buy in Setúbal: In a patisserie, Tortas de Azeitão and in a delicatessen, Queijo de Azeitão.
There are many typical restaurants where you can eat good grilled fish and typical food. There's also a good deal of fast-food shops and pizza places. You can also find Indian and Japanese food.
- 1 Tasca Kefish, Praça Machado dos Santos 8, ☏ +351 265 553 493, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 12:00–15:00, 19:00–23:00; M closed. Pizzeria.
- 2 Taberna Típica o Pescador II, Travessa Álvaro Anes 8, ☏ +351 265 533 369.
- 3 Tasca do Xico da Cana, Travessa Seixal, 10, 2900-174, ☏ +351 265 233 255.
- 4 Tasca da Avenida, Avenida Luisa Todi 578, ☏ +351 964 269 599, email@example.com. Restaurant.
- 5 Nova Taberna O Pescador, Rua Plácido Stichini 7, ☏ +351 265 236 073. 12:00–15:30; M closed. Typical fisherman restaurant. It's only open for lunch. Cost of the meal € 12,50, includes soup,fish dish, grilled on charcoal (with many varieties of fish to choose from) or meat dish, drink, dessert and coffee.
- 6 Novo 10 Restaurant, Avenida Luísa Todi 420, ☏ +351 265 525 212, firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00-00:00. Fish and seafood restaurant.
- 7 490 Taberna STB, Avenida Luisa Todi 490, ☏ +351 934 760 982, email@example.com. Tapas restaurant.
- 8 Adega Leo do Petisco, Rua da Cordoaria 33, ☏ +351 265 228 340. 12:00–15:00, 19:00–22:00.
- 9 Pérola da Mourisca, Rua da Baía do Sado 9, ☏ +351 265 793 689, firstname.lastname@example.org. Seafood restaurant.
- 10 Feito ao Bife, Avenida José Mourinho 24, ☏ +351 919 838 978. 12:30-15:00 19:00-22:30, Su-M closed.. Restaurant for meat lovers.
- 11 Carnes do Convento, Largo de Jesus 7, ☏ +351 934 173 847, email@example.com.
- 12 Casa Santiago, Avenida Luisa Todi 92, ☏ +351 265 221 688. You can, of course, order steak or grilled pork, but everyone around you will be eating the namesake choco (full plate €16, half portion €8.50) - fried cuttlefish, coming in slabs atop mounds of potato fries and industrial quantities of salad. Do as the locals do, and don't forget the wine.
There's a nice selection of bars in downtown Setúbal.
- 1 Bar Absurdo, Avenida José Mourinho 24, ☏ +351 919 838 978, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 19:00–22:30; Su-M closed. Dancing music bar.
- 2 Taifa, Avenida Luisa Todi 558, ☏ +351 265 231 642, email@example.com. W-Su 12:00-15:30, 18:00-22:30; M Tu closed.
- 3 Corktale - Winebar, Rua Plácido Stichini 2, ☏ +351 265 410 297, firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00–22:30. Winebar.
- 4 Mafaria ao Largo, Praça de Machado dos Santos 53, ☏ +351 265 524 132, email@example.com. Tu-Su 11:00-23:00; M closed.
- 5 Decibel Live Music Bar, Rua Guilherme Gomes Fernandes 60, ☏ +351 962 601 469, firstname.lastname@example.org. F-Su 21:00–00:00; M-Th closed. Live music bar.
Most hotels and accommodation you can find are probably downtown (once again, Luisa Todi Avenue) and there is also a hotel near the Bonfim, which is near the bus station.
- 1 Hotel Ibis Setúbal, Rua Cidade de Porto Seguro, ☏ +351 265 700 900, email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. 2-star hotel.
- 2 Hotel Laitau, Avenida General Daniel de Sousa 89, ☏ +351 265 752 672, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 2-star hotel.
- 3 Hotel Mar e Sol, Av. Luisa Todi 606, ☏ +351 265 534 868, email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00–24:00, check-out: 12:00. 2-star hotel.
- 4 Hotel Campanile Setúbal, Rua das Caravelas, 2910-706, ☏ +351 265 752 672, firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel.
- 5 Hotel Manteigadas (Hotel A Seleção), Rua da Manteigada 2, ☏ +351 265 709 650, email@example.com. 2-star hotel.
- 6 Guesthouse Bocage, Rua de São Cristóvão, 14, ☏ +351 265 543 080, firstname.lastname@example.org. An unassuming guesthouse in the backstreets behind Av. Todi - close to the center and the ferry docks, but away from the traffic and noise. A little run down, but clean and cheerful. 50-60EUR.
- 7 Solaris Hotel, Praça Marquês de Pombal, 12, 2900-562, ☏ +351 265 541 770, email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 3-star hotel.
- 8 Hotel Aranguês, Rua José Pedro da Silva 15, ☏ +351 265525171, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. 3-star hotel.
- 9 Hotel Novotel Setúbal, Rua Alexandre O'Neill, ☏ +351 265 739 370, email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 4-star hotel.
- 10 Luna Esperança Centro Hotel, Avenida Luísa Todi 220, ☏ +351 265 521 780, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. 4-star hotel.
- 11 Hotel do Sado Business & Nature, Rua Irene Lisboa 1, ☏ +351 265 542 800, email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 11:00. 4-star hotel.
- 12 Hotel Casa Palmela, Quinta do Esteval, Estrada Nacional 10, ☏ +351 265 249 650, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. 5-star rural hotel.
Setúbal is considered a generally safe area but it has some of the major problematic neighbourhoods in the country.
There are some parts of the city you might want to avoid, but the shabbiness will warn you of that. By day even in those parts you shouldn't have any problems, but be cautious. Take the usual precautions, mostly at night, in downtown Setúbal, but usually you won't have a problem. Avoid being alone but if you find yourself in that situation, just walk in very well lit places and with many people around or call/grab a taxi to take you to your destination.
|Routes through Setúbal|
|Lisbon ← Almada ←||NW SE||→ Alcácer do Sal → Faro|