Jiading is a district of Shanghai, a suburb on the northern boundary of Shanghai Municipality. Its best-known attraction is Shanghai International Circuit, an auto and motorcycle race track that hosts many events including some Formula One races.
Metro lineleads into the district.
- Auto Exposition Park, 7001 Boyuan Rd.
- Anting Old Street, Xinyuan Rd.
- Malu Vineyard, 27 Dazhi Rd.
Nanxiang is a residential area with Nanxiang Old Town at its center. Metro linehas a Nanxiang station. Nanxiang is home to the original Nanxiang Xiaolongbao (Nanxiang steamed bun) that eventually became known as Shanghai-style xiaolongbao.
- 1 Guyi Garden (古猗园, Guyi Yuan), 218 Huyi Highway (600m southwest of Nanxiang Station), ☏ . 07:00-18:00. Between May and October the last exit is at 18:30 at the south gate and at 19:30 at the west gate. One of Shanghai's famous old gardens, now a hybrid between a classical garden and a family-friendly public park. The garden was originally owned by magistrate Min Shiji during the Jiajing era (1522–1566) of the Ming dynasty. In 1789 it became communal property, and saw the addition of various pavilions and shrines, as well as the opening of shops, taverns and restaurants at its west edge. 12 RMB.
- 2 Nanxiang Old Town, 218 Huyi Highway. A very picturesque and peaceful area, with no Western tourists and delicious food available. Some streets are old or renewed but still keep the old style, while other parts are modern residential blocks with an old look at the ground floor. On side streets you can discover tables with gambling locals sitting around. The canals, bridges, pavilions and tourist-oriented shops are not missing.
- 3 Yunxiang Temple (云翔寺; Yúnxiángsì), 100 Renmin St(嘉定区人民街100号; Jiādìngqū Rénmínjiē), ☏ . Originally established in AD 505, later destroyed, and reconstructed in 2000. The drum tower and bell tower are remarkable for their height. Outside, at the corner of the temple there is a nice square with two old (but well preserved) stone towers. Free.
- 4 Tanyuan (Tan Garden), 5 Nanxiangzhen Huntanglong, ☏ . 8AM-5PM. It was the private garden of Li Liufang, a scholar and artist in Ming Dynasty. The poets and scholars came here to chant verse and revel. It had been destroyed when Qing Dynasty replaced Ming Dynasty, and reconstructed in 2011. Scenic spots are the Bao Zun Hall, the Qing Hui Yard, the Ci Zui hall, the Lotus Bank, a boat-shaped house, a gourd-shaped pool, and so on. Cavities and gullies spread around and winding corridors pass through the whole garden.
In Jiading Town
- Jiading Town (Jiadingzhen Subdistrict, 嘉定镇) (Metro line North Jiading, then take bus 12, 13, or walk). It is the historical center of Jiading, which was a separate city from Shanghai until the 1950s. It was surrounded by a circle-shaped city wall and a moat, but only the moat remains, as you can notice on any map. In the center of the circle there are some old streets with canals and bridges where the tourist bazaar is, with gates at each end, but it's free to enter.
Within the circle there are some parks, Shanghai University Campus and several tourist attractions:
- 5 Confucius Temple (嘉定孔庙; Jiādìng Kǒngmiào), 183 Jiading South St (嘉定区嘉定南大街183号; Jiādìngqū Jiādìngnándàjiē) (Bus 6A), ☏ . 8AM-4:30PM, last exit at 5PM. Large and well preserved temple built in 1219. Nowadays it is mostly a museum of Chinese imperial examination. On Apple Map you can search for Jiading Confucius Temple or Shanghai China Keju Museum. Free.
- 6 Huilongtan Park. 08:00-16:30. Next to the Confucius Temple. 5¥.
- 7 Jiading Museum, 215 Bole Road. 08:00-16:30. History museum with a modern design, having exhibits in real size: Chinese pavilions, people (craftsmen), large animals. Ceramic exhibition in the basement (as of 2018). The backyard has an elegant pond with water lilies, and the other side of the pond is the wild Qiuxia Garden, but no direct access. Free.
- 8 Qiuxia Garden (秋霞圃, Qiuxia Pu), 314 Dongdajie St, ☏ , . 08:00-16:30. Built in 1502, this is one of Shanghai's famous old gardens. Former private garden of Gon Hong, a head of the Ministry of Works in the Ming Dynasty. A pleasant, compact, classical garden. 10¥.
- 9 Fahua Pagoda, 349 Jiading South Street. 8AM-4:30PM. This 40.85 meters tall tetragonal brick-wood tower with seven floors is the symbol of Jiading. It was first constructed during Emperor Kaixi's reign (1205-1207). As of 2018 it's not possible to climb the pagoda, but it is free to walk around it and to visit the Gu Weijun Exhibition Hall in the same yard. Gu Weijun (1888-1985), a Jiading native diplomat, was one of the founders of the United Nations. Bole Square across the canal is just a modern square, but since you are nearby, the small park at its edge is worth a visit. Free.
- 1 Shanghai International Circuit. Motor racing venue where the Shanghai Grand Prix Formula One race is held. It is served by metro line Shanghai Circuit station.
Take the metro 11 to Huaqiao, and not the metro 11 to North Jiading, since this end of the line has two branches. The loudspeakers will say a Chinese text and the first sentence ends with "Hwachao" or "Jiadingbay" respectively, and the front face of the train also has the name of the terminal in English.
- D1 Hotel (D1快捷酒店 (上海嘉定店)), 485 Yecheng Rd(嘉定区叶城路485号). Listed rates for doubles from ¥168.
- Huaxun Inns (上海华勋假日连锁旅馆), 2390 Huancheng Rd (嘉定区环城路2390号). Listed rates for doubles from ¥138.
- Xietong Hotel (上海协通大酒店), 4671 Caoan Rd (嘉定区曹安路4671号). Three star hotel. Listed rates for doubles from ¥480, but often significantly discounted.
- Great Tang Hotel (上海唐朝酒店), 4339 Antingbaoan Rd (嘉定区安亭宝安公路4339号). Listed rates for doubles from ¥988.