Asia > Southeast Asia > Thailand > Eastern Thailand > Eastern Gulf Coast > Si Racha
Si Racha, (Siracha, Si Racha or Siracha), Chonburi Province. Si Racha district is about one hour's drive from Bangkok. Si Racha's port and nearby Laem Chabang, the largest port in the country serving the eastern seaboard industrial provinces. Pattaya is 30 km south. 10 km north of Si Racha is Bang Saen, a seaside resort popular with locals. Chonburi Province is one of the more industrialised provinces of Thailand, although most of the province is hilly, agricultural plantations.
Many Japanese and Korean expat workers live in the area and work on the nearby industrial estates. The town itself has a newly redone waterfront, but doesn't have much in terms of sandy beaches.
- Saithip Butterfly Garden, 79/5 Moo 11 Bangpra-Khaokheow Rd (km10 km off of Hwy 36 in Bang Phra, Si Racha), ☏ . Daily, 08:30-15:30. Covers an area of 15 hectares and is Asia's largest butterfly garden. One hundred species of butterflies. A bee museum and an orchid farm, which is next door, are also worth visiting. 100 baht/adult, 60 baht/child.
- Sriracha Tiger Zoo, 341 Moo 3, Nongkham, ☏ . A zoo with various shows. 350 baht.
- Ancestral Spirits Ceremony Festival. April. This festival is based on an old custom of the people from Chonburi. It is held every year between 19-21 Apr on Ko Loy Sri Racha. Activities include a parade, traditional folk costume, spirit ceremonies, demonstrations, and lots of local delicacies.
The town has a Robinson's department store and a cinema.
Si Racha is famous in Thailand for its seafood, served with a fiery chili sauce known as nam prik si racha (น้ำพริกศรีราชา Si Racha spicy sauce).
There are a few guest houses for 200 baht/night on the stinky waterfront.
- The City Hotel, 6/126 Sukhumvit Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. Has very clean rooms. Swimming pool, two restaurants, shuttle bus to take you on selected stops in the city. 2,825-10,005 baht.
- Take the boat to Ko Si Chang.
|Routes through Si Racha|
|Bangkok ← Chonburi ←||N S||→ Pattaya|
|Bangkok ← Bang Saen ←||W E||→ Laem Chabang → Trat|