Somerset is accessible from two Interstate Highways; I-75 to the east and I-65 to the west.
- I-75 northbound (from Tennessee and points south): Take the second London exit (exit 41) and head west on Kentucky Route 80 for about 25 miles. The highway runs right into Somerset.
- I-75 southbound (from Lexington, Cincinnati, and points north): Take the Mount Vernon/Renfro Valley exit (exit 62) and head south on US 25. Slightly less than a mile from I-75, take Kentucky Route 461; stay on that road for about 18 miles until it dead-ends into Kentucky 80, and turn right. You'll reach the outskirts of Somerset about 6 miles later.
- I-65 northbound (from Bowling Green, Nashville, and points south): Take the Cumberland Parkway exit (exit 43) and head east on the Cumberland Parkway for about 100 miles. The parkway, a four-lane controlled-access highway that was built as a toll road but is now free, ends in Somerset.
- I-65 southbound (from points north of Louisville): Several routes are available, depending on your tolerance for rural roads. Probably the fastest, though not the shortest in mileage, is to take I-64 east out of Louisville, and then stay on I-75 after the 64/75 split in Lexington. Exit at Mount Vernon as above.
US 27 passes through Somerset, allowing easy access from Lexington, KY and Knoxville, TN (although most travelers from Lexington choose instead to take the I-75/KY 461 route).
Somerset is home to Lake Cumberland Regional Airport (SME IATA), a general aviation airport that has no scheduled air service, though charters may be available. The closest regional airport is located at Lexington and the closest international airport is located at Louisville.
Somerset's primary tourist attraction is Lake Cumblerland, the largest man-made lake by volume east of the Mississippi River. The lake is very popular among boaters, especially houseboat enthusiasts. Several rental services are offered in the area including speedboat, pontoon, jetski, and houseboat rentals. There are several private and public boat docks located throughout the area. These include:
- 1 Burnside Resort & Marina, 680 W Lakeshore Dr., Burnside (9 miles south of Somerset), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Lee's Ford Resort Marina, 451 Lees Ford Dock Rd., Nancy (7 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A full service marina featuring a restaurant and cottage rentals.
Automobiles are the primary method of transportation in Somerset. Many of the businesses are located along US 27, which can lead to congestion, especially during rush hour. If you need to travel from the north side of the city to the south side and wish to avoid the traffic, the KY 914 bypass provides a much faster route. The downtown business district lies a few miles off US 27. It is easily accessible from Highway 80 and Monticello Street. US 27 is only road that connects Somerset and Burnside (Burnside is located on the lake and is home to many marinas, boat docks, etc.
Somerset has a small taxi service.
- 1 Mill Springs Battlefield, 9020 W. Hwy 80, Nancy (11 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A privately owned park that seeks to preserve the site where the Battle of Mill Springs was fought. This battle fought on January 19, 1862 was a union victory and resulted in the death of General Felix Zollicoffer, the commander of Confederate forces operating out of Cumberland Gap. The 600 acre park offers a museum, a 10 stop battlefield driving tour, and a national cemetery. $8.00 (Museum).
- 1 Eagles Nest Country Club, 1811 Clubhouse Dr., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A semi private country club featuring an 18 hole golf course
- 2 [dead link]Somerset Country Club, 1216 N. Main St., ☎ . A semi private country club featuring an 18 hole golf course.
- 3 Woodson Bend Resort, 14 Woodson Bend, Bronston (10 miles south of Somerset), ☎ . An 18 hole championship golf course located on the shore of Lake Cumberland.
The Center, a local venue often has theater productions and hosts concerts.
- 4 General Burnside Island State Park, 8801 S. Hwy. 27, Burnside (10 miles south of Somerset), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A state park situated on an island in Lake Cumberland. The park features a golf course, campground, boat launch, and picnic shelters.
- 5 Master Musicians Festival, 808 Monticello St. (Somerset Community College), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A long running 2 day music festival held in late July on the grounds of Somerset Community College.
The Somerset Mall contains several stores. Also popular are local shops and flea markets.
- 1 End Zone Pizza & Pub, 120 Stonecrest Dr., ☎ . A sports restaurant that serves up Chicago style pizza, sandwiches, steaks, and pasta.
- 2 Goodie Shack, 7788 S. Hwy 27, ☎ . A family owned restaurant known for its chili dogs and ice cream.
- 3 Guthrie's River House, 6075 S. Hwy. 27, ☎ . A casual restaurant overlooking Lake Cumberland. The menu features steaks, seafood, and pasta.
- 4 Harbor Restaurant, 451 Lees Ford Dock Rd., Nancy (7 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A casual dining restaurant located at Lees Ford Resort Marina.
- 5 [dead link]Sully's Restaurant and Sports Bar, 100 StoneCrest Dr., ☎ . Casual dining and sports bar.
Both Somerset and the adjoining community of Burnside are wet. They allow package alcohol sales, bars, and drinks to be sold in restaurants.
Bed & Breakfast
- 1 Eagles View Bed & Breakfast, 45 Glen Eagle Dr., Burnside (15 miles south of Somerset), ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cabins & Condos
- 2 Cumberland Cove Cottages, 620 Coomer Rd., Burnside (11 miles south of Somerset), toll-free: . Eight cottages for rent featuring full kitchens ranging from 1 to 3 bedrooms. The property has a private dock and the nearest boat launch is at General Burnside Island State Park.
- 3 Lee's Ford Resort Marina, 451 Lees Ford Dock Rd., Nancy (7 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A full service marina featuring a restaurant and cottage rentals. There are 17 cabins available featuring full kitchens and ranging from 1 to 4 bedrooms.
- 4 Woodson Bend Resort, 14 Woodson Bend, Bronston (10 miles south of Somerset), ☎ . A resort with 480 privately owned condos. Many are available for rent and range in size from 1 to 4 bedrooms. The resort also features a golf course and on site restaurant.
- 5 Cumberland Point Campground, 10000 Hwy. 761, Nancy (21 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A campground operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers located on the shore of Lake Cumberland. The campground offers 30 sites with electric hook ups. Amenities include shower houses, a boat ramp, and playground. The operating season is May though September.
- 6 Cumberland Point Campground & RV Resort, 344 Daws Ridge Rd., Nancy (16 miles west of Somerset), ☎ , e-mail: CampinMan@windstream.net. A privately owned campground featuring 54 sites with electric, water, and sewer hookups. Amenities include a fishing pond, general store, wifi, playground, shower houses, and a laundry facility. The campground is open year round.
- 7 General Burnside Island State Park, 8801 S. Hwy. 27, Burnside (10 miles south of Somerset), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The state park campground features 93 sites with electric hookups and 9 primitive tent only sites. Amenities include shower houses and laundry facilities. The campground is open April 1 through October 31. A 2 night minimum stay is required on weekends.
- 8 Pulaski County Park, 1200 Hwy. 3189, Nancy (10 miles west of Somerset), ☎ . A county park located on the shore of Lake Cumberland. The campground features 46 campsites with electric hook ups, shower houses, hiking trails, a disc golf course, and picnic areas.
- 9 Waitsboro Campground, 500 Waitsboro Rd., ☎ . A campground located on the shore of Lake Cumberland operated by the US Army Corp of Engineers. The campground is open April-October and features 17 RV sites with electric hook ups and 5 primitive tent only sites. This facility also features a boat ramp, shower houses, a laundry, and picnic areas.
- 10 Americas Best Value Inn, 125 N. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- 11 Best Western Mid-Town Inn & Suites, 103 Jefferson Dr., ☎ .
- 12 Comfort Inn, 82 Jolin Dr., ☎ .
- 13 Country Inn & Suites, 515 N. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- 14 Hampton Inn, 4141 S. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- 15 Holiday Inn Express, 50 Stevie Lynn Dr., ☎ .
- 16 Knights Inn, 1532 S. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- 17 Super 8, 601 S. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- 18 Quality Inn & Suites, 240 N. Hwy. 27, ☎ .
- Bowling Green - Home of Western Kentucky University and home of the Corvette
- Lexington - Horse capital of the World and Home of the University of Kentucky
- London - Located on the Wilderness Road and near Cumberland Falls State Resort Park
- Monticello - The self proclaimed "Houseboat Capital of the World"
- Big South Fork National Recreation Area
- Cumberland Gap National Historical Park
- Daniel Boone National Forest
|Routes through Somerset|
|Bowling Green via ← Glasgow ←||W E||→ END|
|Cincinnati ← Lexington ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Harriman → Chattanooga|
|Bowling Green ← Glasgow ←||W E||→ London → Cedarville|