North America > Canada > Atlantic Canada > Prince Edward Island > Souris
Souris (pronounced soor-ee) is a town in eastern Prince Edward Island.
Souris was founded by French-speaking Acadians in 1727 as a fishing settlement at the mouth of the Souris River. These early settlers experienced several plagues of field mice in the surrounding area during the 1720s-1760s (the name is French for "mouse").
- Souris is 82 km from Charlottetown along Highway 2, and 70 from the ferry from Nova Scotia to Wood Islands along Routes 313 and 315 and Highways 4 and 2.
- CTMA, ☎ , toll-free: . A cruise on the N.M. Madeleine completes the five-hour crossing between Souris and Cap-aux-Meules in the Îles-de-la-Madeleine daily. The ship offers services including a cafeteria, dining room, cinema, a kindergarden, cabins and a show. 3-11 crossings a week, depending on the season. Arrive at least one hour before departure. High season rates (Jun 25-Sep 14): car $97, trailer/RV $8/foot, motorcycle $35, adult passenger $52, senior $42, child 13 and under $26. Low season rates are 30-40% lower. Reserve and pay a deposit online, then pay the balance on board during the trip.
The town has many well-preserved historical buildings, including the Matthew and MacLean Building, Souris Customs House and Post Office, and the McQuaid Building.
There is a lighthouse overlooking the harbour.
- Kitesurfing is popular in Souris and nearby beaches. Souris Beach is an intermediate level beach, and has good wave conditions when winds blow from the Southwest. Nearby beaches of Little Harbour, Basin Head, and other nearby beaches generally have good conditions in southwest and southeast winds.
- McPhee's Grocery on Main St (Highway 2).
Eat and drink
- 21 Breakwater, 21 Breakwater St., ☎ . W Th 11:30AM–8PM; F Sa 11:30AM–9PM. Fine dining in Souris in a heritage House overlooking the harbour.
- Lot 45 Pub, 41 Breakwater Street, ☎ . Daily 7AM-midnight. Pub food and local beer. Breakfast $7-14; pub meals $9-20.
- Rollo Bay Inn, 1067 Lower Rollo Bay Rd, ☎ . Restaurant, AC, bike rental. A little west of town overlooking the bay. From $80 double.
- Dockside B&B, 37 Breakwater St, toll-free: . Friendly and helpful welcome from Flossie in dated but clean rooms. Good breakfast. Also offers parking for people walking on to the ferry to the Îles-de-la-Madeleine ($5/night). Across the road from the ferry dock. $70 double including breakfast.