North America > United States of America > New England > Vermont > Northwest Vermont > Franklin County (Vermont) > St. Albans (Vermont)
Saint Albans is the largest city located in Vermont's northwestern Franklin County; approximately 16 miles south of the Canadian border. It is comprised both of Saint Albans City and Saint Albans Town with a combined population of about 14,050 residents. It is known as the Maple Sugar Capital of the World and is the home to the annual Maple Festival. Saint Albans is also the site of the Saint Albans Raid, a confederate bank robbery that took place in 1864 during the Civil War.
The closest airport, Burlington International Airport (BTV), is approximately 29 miles away. Other close airports in the area include: Plattsburgh International Airport (PBG) and Montréal-Trudeau airport (YUL).
Located on the Amtrak Vermonter Line
Saint Albans can be accessed via exits 19 and 20 off of Interstate 89, as well as some smaller roads such as routes 7, 36, and 104.
As Saint Albans is located on Lake Champlain; it can be accessed by boat from New York, Quebec, Canada, and other parts of western Vermont.
- Maple Festival. As mentioned above, Saint Albans hosts the Maple Festival every year in late April. Here you can get everything from maple cotton candy to maple ice cream!
- Hard'ak. A local is a ski/sledding hill used by many locals for wintertime fun.
- Weldon Theater. In the heart of downtown is the Weldon Theater, as well as one of the few Drive-In theaters left in the state located directly off exit 20 on I89.
- Northwest Farmers Market. From mid-May until October there is the Northwest Farmers Market located in Taylor Park that takes place on Saturdays from 9AM-2PM.
- Burton Island State Park. 240 acres of island with walking trails, campsites, and access via a passenger ferry.
- Camp Kill Kare. Popular recreational day use with lake swimming access.
- Woods Island State Park. Primitive camping on an island in Inland Sea.
- Cohen Beach. Daily use swimming point.
- Saint Albans Bay Park. Every 4th of July Saint Albans Bay hosts a Bay Day Celebration that consists of: The Great Race: Triathlon that includes a 3.1 mile run, a 12-mile bike ride, and a 3-mile canoe race, and fireworks at dusk.
There are two main shopping complexes in Saint Albans:
- Highgate Commons Shopping Center (off of exit 20 on I89). Has stores such as TJ Maxx, Hannaford Grocery, RadioShack, Olympia Sports Center, and Pizza Hut.
- Saint Albans Shopping Center (on North Main Street). Includes stores such as JC Penny, Rite Aid, US Post Office, and Ace Hardware.
- Eastern Dragon, ☏ . Asian cuisine. $.
- Thai House, ☏ . Asian cuisine. $.
- China Wok, ☏ . Asian cuisine. $.
- Pie in the Sky, ☏ . Pizza. $.
- Mimmos, ☏ . Pizza. $.
- One Federal, ☏ . Steakhouse. If you're looking for something more formal or just drinks after a long week $$.
- Jeff's, ☏ . Seafood. This place always comes to mind when having a large gathering or a fancy event. Best place to get seafood in town! $$.
- Chow Bella, ☏ . You can always count on a great meal and great service here, and they often have live music from local artists $$.
- K J's Diner, ☏ . If you looking for typical dinner food you can alway count on that here! $.
- 14th Star Brewery, 133 N Main St #7, ☏ . Brewery and taproom owned by active duty military personnel. 14th Star has recently expanded into a new taproom located in a former bowling alley. The name is a reference to Vermont's status as the 14th state admitted to the union. The taproom offers flights, full pours, and growler fills and they carry Citizen Cider for non-beer drinkers. 14th Star's signature beer is Valor Ale, a very hoppy amber that can be found all over northern Vermont.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites (Exit 19 off I 89), ☏ .
- Cadillac Motel, S. Main St, ☏ .
- Econo Lodge, S. Main St, ☏ .
There are many Ski Areas in driving distance from Saint Albans:
|Routes through St. Albans|
|END ←||N S||→ Essex Junction → Springfield|
|Montreal via ← Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu Template:Lfarrow becomes Template:Lfarrow ←||N S||→ Colchester → Burlington|
|Merges with ←||N S||→ Milton → Burlington|