Southeast Michigan is the region of Michigan closest to Ohio and the Canadian province of Ontario. Although the name is commonly used to mean "the Detroit area", and the state's megalopolis is an important presence, it contains considerably more than the Motor City.
|Metro Detroit |
|Jackson County |
|Lenawee County |
|Livingston County |
|Monroe County |
|Sanilac County |
|St. Clair County |
including Port Huron
|Washtenaw County |
- 1 Ann Arbor — home to the University of Michigan, has a vibrant downtown and arts scene
- 2 Detroit — largest city in Michigan, the Motor City
- 3 Jackson — home of the largest walled prison in the world
- 4 Port Huron – the county seat and largest city in St. Clair county
- 5 Southfield
- 6 Wyandotte
English is by far the most common language in this part of the country.
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW IATA) in Romulus
- Bishop International Airport (FNT IATA) in Flint
For starters, visit the website of the Southern Michigan Railroad Society for a basic gist if needed.
AMTRAK runs daily trains on the east - west line that go from their station downtown Detroit to Ann Arbor to Chicago and vice versa.
Another popular train ride is north to the Canadian city of Toronto for weekend trips.
Lake Erie Transit is head-quartered in Monroe.
- Beaches, Canoeing, Kayaking, and more Metro Detroit's popular destinations include Metropolitan Beach in Harrison Township., Stony Creek Beach, and Kensington Beach. Detroit's Huron Clinton Metro Park system is a great source of fun. Enjoy canoe trips on the Huron River [dead link].
- Golf Metro Detroit has many golf courses. Try Detroit's Metro parks , St John's Resort in Plymouth, and more.
- Horse Racing Hazel Park Raceway, Northville Downs, and Windsor Raceway.
- Michigan International Speedway 12626 US-12, Brooklyn, MI. Home to annual ARCA, NASCAR Cup and Xfinity Series races. Also hosts the annual Faster Horses 3 day country music festival.
- Palazzo di Bocce, 4291 S. Lapeer Road. In Orion Township, about 40 minutes north of Downtown, is the largest and most elaborate bocce facility in the United States, and perhaps the world. You can play bocce on one of 10 indoor tournament-sized courts with court hosts and hostesses to help if you don't know the game. You can have cocktails and eat courtside while playing, or later in the restaurant, which serves authentic Italian food. Palazzo was the site of the 2005 U.S. national tournament, and hosted the 2005 Singles World Bocce Championships attended by athletes from 17 nations in September. Very popular for group events; Friday and Saturday nights are more crowded.
- Skiing and Snowboarding in Metro Detroit, Mt. Brighton Ski Area, 4141 Bauer Rd., Brighton, MI (near I-96 & M-23 in Metro Detroit). See also, Alpine Valley ski area, Apple Mountain Ski Resort, Baki Maountain Cross Country Ski Trails, Mt. Holly ski area, Pine Knob ski area.
Wild grapes for one's pick-me-'round, especially in and around the River Raisin's water shed while exploring the river.
If in case you feel unfamiliar with the rest of the region (at least when it comes to highways, though), the Monroe County Library System could be your best bet.