Sumedang is a city and regency in the Parahyangan mountain region of Western Java, Indonesia.
The city of Sumedang is about 40 km east of the provincial capital Bandung. The Mount Tampomas volcano is in Sumedang regency, just north of the city.
Sumedang is along the main road between the major cities of Bandung and Cirebon. This road was part of the Great Post Road, built in the early 19th century, making Sumedang an important resting place along this road. The drive from Bandung to Sumedang is about 40 km, and takes 1h 30m if traffic conditions are good. Because of frequent major traffic congestion around Bandung, the drive to Sumedang also regularly takes longer. From the Indonesian capital Jakarta, Sumedang can be reached by taking the toll road towards Cirebon until exit KM 159, and then taking the trunk road to the southwest to Sumedang.
The main intercity bus route to Sumedang is operated by bus company Medal Sekarwangi. The bus route runs from Kamung Rambutan terminal in East Jakarta via the toll road to Cileunyi in East Bandung, and then to 1 Ciakar bus terminal in the north of Sumedang. This bus route is operated about 12 times per day, of which three are night buses. A one-way ticket Jakarta-Sumedang is Rp50,000 (2016). In addition, many of the intercity buses between Bandung and Cirebon stop in Sumedang, but usually just along the main road and not at the terminal.
- 1 Prabu Geusan Ulun Museum, Jl. Prabu Geusan Ulun No. 40 B, ☏ +62 261 201 714. Tu-Th Sa Su 08:00-14:00. Collection of traditional Sundanese weaponry, as well as the crown jewels and other finery.
Sumedang is known for its style of deepfried tofu, tahu Sumedang or tahu bungkeng.
- 1 R.M Joglo Sumedang, Jl. Raya Cimalaka No.333, Serang, ☏ +62 261 210 252. Daily 08:30-20:30. A Javanese (i.e. Central Java) style restaurant in West Java. The specialty is nasi liwet, rice dish cooked in coconut milk, chicken broth and spices originally from Solo, but there are also local Sundanese dishes, such as soto Bandung and tahu Sumedang.
- 1 Puri Mutiara Hotel, Jl. Prabu Geusan Ulun No.22, ☏ +62 261 202 102. Hotel along the main road in the city centre. Double rooms Rp250,000 per night, with air-conditioning Rp400,000.
- Bandung — provincial capital with many natural, cultural, and culinary attractions, as well as shopping.
- Majalengka — to the northeast from Sumedang, another mountain town.
|Routes through Sumedang|
|Anyer ← Bandung ←||W E||→ Cirebon → Panarukan|