The old name of this town was Tunsberg. It is the oldest town in Norway. The town has about 35,000 inhabitants. Tønsberg is also surrounded by some of the county's major tourist attractions, including old viking graves and museums. There are plenty of options for daytrips where both residents and visitors can enjoy a wide range of landscapes. In summer, Tønsberg are a popular retreat for people from Oslo, and other places in Norway. Tønsberg therefore has some of the most lively summertime day and nightlife in Norway. The people are easy going and very friendly, and cultural life is rich.
Vestfold Kollektivtrafikk (Vestfold Public Transport) operates a decent bus network, time tables can be found online and in buses.
Taxi: Tønsberg Taxi, ☏ . Availability of taxis is generally fairly good, however, prices are rather high – as can be expected in Norway.
- Castle Rock (Slottsfjellet), ☏ . A hill in the middle of the town. On the top is the ruin of the old castle, and the Castle Rock Tower.
- Castle Rock Tower (Slottsfjelltårnet), ☏ . The 17 m (56 ft) high observation tower on top of Castle rock, is a landmark for Tønsberg. The tower was built in 1888. Adults: kr 20, Children: kr 10.
- Royal Mound (Oseberghaugen), Slagendalen, ☏ . The grave of viking-queen Alvhild. The vikingship Oseberg was found here, after archaeological excavations.
- Tønsberg Cathedral, Storgaten 52, ☏ . Built in 1858.
- Vesfold County Museum (Vestfold Fylkesmuseum), Farmannsveien 30, ☏ , fax: . Contains among other thing: viking ships, and a skeleton from a blue whale. Adults: kr 50, Children: kr 10.
- Fjærholmen (10 km away from Tønsberg out on an island, reachable by bus or car). Swim in the Oslo-fjord. The temperature in the sea will normally be 18-22 °C (64-72 °F). The same place will also be the area where all have their private sailing boat and if you are lucky - maybe somebody will bring you along for a sailing tour. Just be brave and ask!
- Farmandstredet (Close to the central bus station). Shoppingmall
- Roar i Bua, Honnørbrygga, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A popular seafood shop. Buy some fresh shrimps and sit on the quay and eat them naturell and throw the leftover to the seagulls.
- Havariet, Nedre Langgate 30 E, ☏ . Good food at a fair price and in the summer you can enjoy the summer outside, at the seaside.
- Pascal Brasserie, Nedre Langgate 49, ☏ , fax: . M-Sa: noon-10.30PM. French
- Brygga restaurant, Nedre Langgate 32, ☏ . M-W,Su: 11AM-midnight, Th-Sa:11AM-3AM.
- 1 Tønsberg Vandrerhjem (Tønsberg HI Hostel), Dronning Blancas gate 22, ☏ . Situated just below Slottsfjellet and five minutes wals from the railway station, this is an ideal place to stay in Tønsberg. A couple of computers in the reseption and free WLAN to keep you connected to the rest of the world. dorm from 350 kr.
- Maritim Hotell, Storgaten 17, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. email@example.com
- Thon Hotell Brygga, Nedre Langgate 40, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quality Hotel Klubben, Nedre Langgate 49, ☏ , fax: .
- Quality Hotel Tønsberg, Ollebukta 3, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com.
Bolærne: During the summer you can take a small ferry to this island in the Oslofjord, the journey cost kr 140 (roundtrip, adults), kr 70 (roundtrip, children). The journey takes 50 min, one-way. The island was a coastal artillery fortress, opened for the public in 2005. You can stroll along the island - or dive directly from the rocks or just sit in the small harbour looking on the traffic of private summer boats. On top of the island there will be a small viewpoint where you can see all the cruiseboats and ferries passing on the way to and from Oslo.
- Østre Bolærne, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. You can stay in the same rooms and beds where the soldiers used to live, and you can as well eat all meals in the restaurant. From: kr 200 (in four bed room).
|Routes through Tønsberg|
|Kristiansand ← Stokke ←||W E||→ Horten → Oslo|