Talk:Gap year travel
Gap Year information
A lot of travellers are in the position of taking a "gap year" after studies, for a career break, for a life change, etc...... An increasing focus in these gap years seems to be the chance to do volunteer work, try new experiences, visit exotic locales, etc - witness the recent Guardian writeups in their Travel section. Would it be worthwhile, do you think, for Wikivoyage to address this phenomenon with a series of articles offering advice, ideas, suggestions, alternatives, etc? (WT-en) Pjamescowie 07:19, 1 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- I think Gap year travel would make an excellent travel topic. I'm not sure it's a big enough topic to have multiple articles about, though. --(WT-en) Evan 18:18, 19 Aug 2004 (EDT)
- Looks like no one has been here in a while, but I'm willing to take this topic on. I haven't gone to college yet and graduate high school in August 2004. I spent several months in Munich and Warsaw. - 220.127.116.11 01:22, 16 Apr 2005 (EDT)
I wonder whether this article as it stands would be better named Working holiday? It's not hugely specific to the gap year crowd (18-25 year olds taking a year out of education). (WT-en) Hypatia 21:26, 16 September 2006 (EDT)
- I think there is room for two articles since the audiences are rather different and the rules for working holiday visas fairly strict. Pashley (talk) 16:57, 24 June 2015 (UTC)
Cleaning up the Volunteer travel article, see Talk:Volunteer_travel#Sorting_out_problems. Text removed there includes a whole section on gap year things, copied below. Other things removed there might also be used here; see the talk page there both for a list of those and for discussion of why some should not be used. Pashley (talk) 17:05, 24 June 2015 (UTC)
From other article
There are many organisations offering gap year placements. A few of these are:
- EXIS  a 30 year old Danish organization that specializes in volunteering, internships and/or language/cultural stays in around 20 countries across the world.
- Frontier Conservation  specialises in scientific and conservation projects in locations such as Tanzania, Costa Rica, Cambodia, Fiji and Madagascar.
- Global Vision International is an award winning volunteer abroad organization running projects all over the world.
- Gap Year Diver , specialists in gap year and career break scuba diving trips. Marine Conservation initiatives, learn to dive, become a Divemaster, teach in local schools, community work, Instructor training, language learning and much more.
- The Great Projects . Beginning life as the multi award winning 'The Great Orangutan Project', the Great Projects now offers a wide collection of projects, used to showcase working models of animal conservation tourism around the world and promotes the importance of setting standards in endangered animal welfare and conservation in the tourism sector.
- Yomps, Gap year, career break and adventure specialist, from volunteering in Africa to learning to surf in Ecuador, Yomps has it all.
- Shumba Experience  Specialists in conservation and veterinary projects in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.
- Global Vision International , Specialists in gap year expeditions such as marine expeditions in the Indian Ocean and exploration in Patagonia. GVI also has over 150 volunteering projects around the world.
- Gap Medics , Specifically aimed at students looking to go to medical or nursing school - Work experience and volunteer opportunities in The Caribbean, India and Tanzania.
- Gap Year Ghana , small organisation specializing in volunteer placements in Ghana, West Africa.
- Raleigh  Youth and education charity offering challenging environmental, community and adventure programmes for 17-75 year olds in Borneo, Costa Rica & Nicaragua and India
- Projects Abroad , Global organiser of overseas voluntary work placements. Projects Abroad runs placements like Teaching, Care, Conservation & Environment, Medicine & Healthcare, Sports, Culture & Community projects and Journalism.
- VAE Kenya , a small UK organisation that organises challenging teaching placements in rural Kenyan schools.
- Praktikawelten  offers more than 300 volunteer projects in 17 countries as well as work and travel programs in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
- FruitFriends is a locally based organisation in Vang Vieng; Laos. FruitFriends provides immersion through volunteering. Positions available for: social enterpreneurship, teaching English, farming, building, community-based activities.
- NICE Network  organising internships and volunteerings, as well as offering Spanish courses for foreigners in Argentina who are seeking to discover, live and learn in this South American country
Working holiday visas?
- Swept in from the pub
w:Working holiday visa has much detail on these visas & I've met a fair number of travellers who have used them, mostly people from North America or Europe visiting Australia. We have no article on them. Volunteers? Pashley (talk) 07:29, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
- I've been on a Working Holiday Visa before and am happy to help if I can, however I'm fairly new to Wikivoyage and am not sure what is needed. How will the Wikivoyage article need to differ from the Wikipedia article? Misaochan (talk) 00:10, 16 March 2016 (UTC)
- The Wikipedia article covers the technicalities of the visa well, but doesn't say much about actually going on a working holiday. Things like how to get a good balance between work and travel, maybe suggestions about when to go (before university, between university and your first job etc). Any preparation worth doing before setting off (e.g. getting experience or qualifications at home first), and whether it is good to get a job or interviews arranged in advance. Some stuff is country specific, and there was a discussion a while back about having articles on "Countryname for a longer stay", which might be the best way of handling that kind of specific information. AlasdairW (talk) 00:28, 16 March 2016 (UTC)
- Is it be correct to assume these two external links would be out place on this page?
18.104.22.168 23:31, 18 February 2019 (UTC)
- Not at all, but we prefer to keep inter-project links in the sidebar, where the Wikipedia link already was. I've added the Wikiquote link to the Wikidata item for the page, and now we have both links. Thanks! ARR8 (talk | contribs) 23:38, 18 February 2019 (UTC)
More Souls Deferring Entrance To Heaven For A Year To Backpack Through Spirit Realm Pashley (talk) 09:51, 31 October 2021 (UTC)