Isn't this article name rather misleading?
I understand that we can create articles for historical China, but there was never really anything called the 'Chinese Empire'. There used be be some different meanings ( see w:Celestial_Empire ) for this term, but there were in fact multiple kingdoms and empires in the country now known as China.
- (edit conflict) The biggest problem is pin-pointing the section of China's history this article covers. "Historical China" is probably the best name choice, unless we do something along the lines of "Dynasties of China". --Comment by Selfie City (talk about my contributions) 02:05, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
- (edit conflict) To me, the statement "China was an empire from at least 1700 BCE until 1911 CE..." along with the listings that follow it imply that the article covers Chinese history in general, but not after 1911. However, the article could do with being clearer about the time period it covers. --Comment by Selfie City (talk about my contributions) 02:16, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
- I'd say the current title is fine; we have Russian Empire, Mongol Empire, British Empire, etc. Pashley (talk) 20:16, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
- Except for things like Tibetan Empire or Western Xia which were separate for centuries, or modern stuff like Long March, I do not think we need other Chineee history articles. I think there are already redirects here for all the dynasties; that's fine but they don't need separate articles. Pashley (talk) 21:30, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
- If a name change is necessary, I'd much prefer "Imperial China" or "Chinese empires" to the vague "Historical China". Everything is historical, including the present, and even if the past is implied, "historical" gives no indication when the endpoint of the historical scope is. Ikan Kekek (talk) 10:59, 4 October 2018 (UTC)
- i agree with Ikan here. "Imperial China" would be fine, but "Historical China" or (better) "Chinese history" would make sense to me only if someone wanted to do the considerable work of expanding the article to cover other parts of the history: arts, religions, etc,
- As for "the British Empire and Russian Empire were real things. The 'Chinese Empire' never existed" I think that's a distinction that does not make a difference. China was certainly one of the world's great empires, though there were multiple different dynasties and the borders changed over time. Pashley (talk) 13:49, 4 October 2018 (UTC)
- I'm good with Imperial China. I don't think it is a distraction because you can't point this article to a single 'Chinese Empire'. There were multiple concurrent empires in this region during the same time periods, and even Wikipedia agrees on this point in not having an article called Chinese Empire or anything like it. Andrewssi2 (talk) 21:38, 4 October 2018 (UTC)