- From Frederick and points South, take U.S. Route 15 north.
- From Gettysburg and points north, take U.S. Route 15 south.
- From Frederick take the Thurmont/Emmitsburg Shuttle from the Frederick Transit Center. The bus departs at 6:30 AM.
- From Emmitsburg take the Thurmont/Emmitsburg Shuttle from Jubilee on Main East St. The bus departs at 7:10 AM.
Thurmont is a small town and has no car rental agencies or bus system. It is small enough to walk around in though. If you need or want a cab you can call Yellow Cab of Thurmont at 301-271-3340. During Colorfest weekend the town sets up a public transportation system to handle the crowd.
- 1 Catoctin Furnace (Head South from Thurmont on Catoctin Furnace Road.). An iron furnace that played a role in the Revolutionary war and was important to the industrialisation of Thurmont.
- 2 Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo, 13019 Catoctin Furnace Road (From Thurmont town square, head south on water street, then take a right onto Frederick Rd. Road will change to Catoctin Furnace Rd and destination will be on the left another 2 miles down from that.), ☎ . Zoo just outside of Thurmont. Has 1100 animals including exotic animals like Lions and local wildlife like timber wolves and native turtles. Between April and September runs daily Safari rides. $16.95.
- 3 Thurmont Community Park, Community Park Road, ☎ . 7AM-10PM. This is the town park. It has a nice exercise trail, several pavilions, a park for younger children, and a baseball and basketball court.
- 4 Thurmont Trolley Trail, Moser Road (Begins between the bridge and the library). Sunrise to Sundown. Historical nature trail.
- 1 Catoctin Breeze Vineyard, 15184 Roddy Road, ☎ . Tasting and Tours Sat-Sun 12pm-5pm. Tours by appointment Mon-Friday 10am-3pm..
- 2 Colorfest, ☎ . A huge arts and crafts festival that takes place over one weekend annually. Several thousand people flock to the town for it. The festival completely takes over the town.
- 3 Lawyer's Farm, 13001 Creagerstown Rd, ☎ , e-mail: Taylor@LawyersFarm.com. Pick pumpkins at the pumpkin patch, navigate your way through the corn maze, and even fire the two pumpkin cannons at 50 foot tall Transformer robots!
- 4 Maple Run Golf Course, 13610 Moser Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-5PM. $11-$28.
- 1 Catoctin Hope Chest, 104C Frederick Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tue-Sat 11AM-5PM. Upon request can be open for additional or different hours. Sells hand-crafted items along with quilts.
- 2 Thurmont Plaza Shopping Center (From the town square head North on North Church Street. Will be on right shortly after the street changes to Sabillasville Rd.). Has a dollar store, convenience store, Chinese food restaurant, and sandwich shop.
- 3 Unnamed Shopping Center. Has a grocery store, dollar store, Wendy's, Chinese food restaurant, and pizza joint.
- Bollinger's Restaurant, 210 N Church St, ☎ . Mon-Sat 6AM-8PM, Sun 7AM-2PM. Very cozy atmosphere. Facebook page describes it as "down home people with down home cooking".
- J & J's BBQ and Seafood, 19A Water Street, ☎ . Local Seafood from the Chesapeake Bay. Memphis and Carolina style Barbecue. $4-$21.
- Mountaingate Family Restaurant, 133 Frederick Road, ☎ . 5AM-10PM. Both a Menu and a Buffet style restaurant. Has private banquet rooms for between 10 and 200 guests. Southern American food.
- Shamrock Restaurant, 7701 Fitzgerald Road, ☎ . Mon-Thu 11AM-9PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-10PM, Sun 12PM-9PM. Family owned "casual fine dining" restaurant. Participates in "farm to fork" program (at least 60% of the menu is sourced from local farms). Lots of traditional Irish food. Encourages reservations, but reservations are not allowed on St. Patrick's Day or during Colorfest.
- Simply Asia, 120 Frederick Road, Suite B & C, ☎ . Mon-Thu 11AM-9:30PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-10PM, Sun 12PM-9:30PM. Serves Chinese, Thai, Japanese food and a variety of sushi. "A Pan Asian Bistro" $5-$20.
- Thurmont Kountry Kitchen, 17 Water Street, ☎ . 6AM-9PM. Award winning family owned restaurant. Large selection of food and very good broasted chicken. Motto: "Just like home but we do the dishes". American Southern food.
- Fratelli's New York Pizza & Restaurant, 140 Frederick Road, ☎ . New York style Pizza and subs. Reasonably priced, does delivery.
- Dale's Place, 12841 Catoctin Furnace Road, ☎ .
- Little's Tavern, 6 East Main Street, ☎ .
- Thurmont Bar & Grill, 10 East Main Street, ☎ .
- The Cozy Country Inn, 103 Frederick Rd, ☎ . Check-in: 3 PM, check-out: 11 AM. Small hotel based around the smallness of the town. Has attached Camp David museum and restaurant. Offers cottages and traditional hotel room options. $60-$125.
- Rambler Inn, 426 N Church St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Right off the highway. Cheap clean rooms. Independently owned with flexible rates for larger groups. Price for room varies considerably during the year. $40-$60.
- Super 8 Thurmont, 300 Tippin Dr, ☎ . Check-in: 3 PM, check-out: 11 AM. Offers smoking and non-smoking rooms. The hotel also has wifi. $70-$100.
- The Cinnamon House, 101 W. Main St., ☎ . Bed and Breakfast
- 1 Crow's Nest Campground, Rt. 77 West, ☎ . Beautiful campground with water, electric, a bathhouse, and a swimming pool. Located next to a trout stream. Adults past the first two cost an additional $5. Open between April 1 and Oct 31 each year. $25-30.
- 2 Ole Mink Farm, 12806 Mink Farm Rd., ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Outdoor resort. Rates listed are for two nights with two adults. Cabins have full kitchens, cable TV, wi-fi, fireplace (with firewood), and an outdoor picnic area. There is also a swimming pool and a playground. $325-$350.
- Thurmont Regional Library, 76 East Moser Road, ☎ . Mon-Thu 10AM-8PM, Fri-Sat 10AM-5PM, Sun 1PM-5PM. Wifi is available for anyone. Computer use is limited to 15 minutes for non-patrons. Free.
|Routes through Thurmont|
|Gettysburg ← Emmitsburg ←||N S||→ Frederick → Jct W E|