Europe > Italy > Northeast Italy > Veneto > Treviso (province) > Treviso
Treviso (Latin: Tarvisium) is a city in northeastern Italy, and the capital of the province of the same name. It is in the eastern part of the Veneto region, north of Venezia and south of Belluno. The city itself has 82,399 inhabitants (2001), with about 170,000 inhabitants in the wider metropolitan area, while the province has 795,264 inhabitants.
Treviso is on the line connecting Venezia with Udine. A one way ticket to Venezia is less than €3 for the 30 km and half an hour trip.
The Treviso Airport (TSF IATA) is becoming increasingly busy as the main destination for Ryanair, Wizzair, and Transavia budget flights. There are flights to Treviso Airport from Barcelona, Bremen, Brussels. Bucharest, Charleroi, Chisinau, Cluj, Dublin, Düsseldorf weeze, East Midlands, Eindhoven, Frankfurt Hahn, Iasi, Kiev, Leeds, London Stansted, Lwow, Malta, Paris Beauvais, Prague, Skopje, Stockholm Timisoara and Valencia as well as domestic flights from Alghero, Bari, Brindisi, Cagliari, Catania, Lamezia Terme and Palermo. Flights to and from Treviso Airport are operated by Ryanair, tel. 895 8958989 and Wizz Air tel. 895 895 3322.
In order to get from the airport to the Treviso Train Station (Treviso Centrale), you must get the line 6 bus.
Treviso is connected through the national highway network
- A4 - Torino-Milano-Venezia-Trieste
- A13 - Bologna-Padova
Many national/regional roads originate in or pass through the city.
Treviso is also connected with Venice through the Terraglio SS13 main road characterized by a beautiful green landscape and ancient villas advisable for easy biking tours and itineraries for cycling holidays.
Discovering the city on foot is very easy. The historic center is actually quite small, so you can go around in the narrow streets.
The local buses are ok, but by night there are quite few. Fares are €1 within Treviso Comune and €1.50 ouside.
It is better to avoid driving your own car, as there are lots of one-way streets in Treviso and a one-way ring road around the walled city.
With the local rental bike shops you can make a good excursion at Palladian Villas. Ask locals for the Restera, a nice track all along Sile River. If you are brave, you can reach the Venetian Lagoon.
On Treviso region you can make an antique villas easy biking tour (some to see only from outside), among the best are:
- Villa Emo
- Villa Maser
- Villa Manfrin
- Villa Avogadro degli Azzoni
- Villa Passi
- Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti
- Villa Palazzi-Taverna
- Villa Valier-Loredan
- Villa de reali
- Villa Cà Zenobio
- Villa Minelli
- Villa Casa Quaglia
- Villa Lattes
- Seminario Vescovile di Treviso, in via S. Nicolò. Ask to go in the "Stanza affrescata" by Tommaso da Modena: on the wall, between others, there is the first monk painted with spectacles in the history of Painting.
- Eat Tiramisu. It was 'created' in Treviso, at Ristorante le Beccherie in Piazza Ancillotto. Unfortunately today there is no special place to eat Tiramisu. A Pasticceria near the Railway station has tiramisù made with savoyard biscuits, the original recipe.
Local food like radicchio rosso and wine, but it is better to shop in the small towns in the countryside.
Clothes and shoes: outlets are everywhere, if you go to Montebelluna, you will find shoe outlets (Geox, Diadora and so on).
- DiVino Osteria Trevigiana, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso). A restaurant characterised by typical local cuisine, an exclusive design, a lively and welcoming environment and a spectacular display of all wines, that simply astonishes lovers of good wine.
- Muscoli's Osteria Trevigiana, Pescheria, 2. 9AM-midnight. An ancient hosteria in a charming place: in front of The island of fishmarket, right in the historic centre of Treviso. Local food include cicchetti, it means finger food and local people drink spritz, a light cocktail with prosecco wine, campari or aperol. €2-20.
- Le Beccherie, Piazza Ancilotto,10, ☏ . closed Sun evening and Mon. € 28 -39 (2003).
- Al Bersagliere, via Barberia21, ☏ . closed Sun. reguional cuisine € 30-40.
- Gioja Lounge Bar, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso). 8AM-midnight. Trendy location with WiFi Internet connection, happy hour 6PM-9PM and lounge bar 9PM-midnight. Live music on Thursdays.
- Osteria al Dazio, Via Cesare Battisti, 48 (Porta Calvi). 9AM-midnight. Nice place in an ancient tower of Dogana in Treviso town,in front of the Russian castle. The Osteria has a beautiful winter garden, and a terrced garden on the river Sile, if the weather is clement,you can seat at the charriot outside. Inside the tower, at the ceiling complete hams hung, waiting to be eaten! Good fingerfood, nice Prosecco and Raboso. Very interesting local place. €2-20.
- Basilico 13. Basilico 13 (Centre), Piazza San Vito, 13, 31100, ☎ 0422549789. Excellent little bar/restaurant in the centre of Treviso with a nice little seating area directly in front. It usually is packed for "aperitivo" Fridays and Saturdays from around 19 - 23. Dinner is also excellent with an emphasis on local Trevigian Cuisine. €3 and Up
- Hotel Relais Monaco, Converted old Venetian villa.
- Bed&Breakfast Appiani36, Viale Graziano Appiani 36 (Palazzo di giustizia), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Homestay bed&breakfast at walking distance from the ancient walls of the historic centre of Treviso, free Wi-fi connection, very good cappuccino, 3 km from Treviso Airport, 1 km from railway station. €25-75.
- BHR Treviso Hotel, Via Postumia Castellana, 2 (Quinto di Treviso). Four star business hotel close to Treviso airport, with free shuttle service to/from Treviso airport and Treviso centre.
- Ca' Maffio Hotel, Via Principe, 70, ☏ . 14th century country house hotel in the nature park Fiume Sile, few kilometers away from Treviso and Venice." €90-220.
- Villa Stucky, Via Don Bosco, 47, IT 31021 Mogliano Veneto (12 km south of Treviso on S 13), ☏ , info@villastucky, it. € 110-180 (2003).
- Villa Cipriani, Via Canova, 298, IT 31011 Asolo (32 km north west of Treviso), ☏ . € 210-250 (2003).
- Riviera del Brenta
- Conegliano and Valdobbiadene wine roads