Värnamo is a city in Småland with just above 18,000 inhabitants. 33,000 people live in Värnamo kommun, the municipality.
Värnamo is by the river Lagan, a short distance from its mouth into lake Vidöstern. It is in the historical region Finnveden, one of the "small countries" which make up today's Småland. During the middle ages Värnamo grew into a political and economic centre of the area. It is the second largest city in Jönköping County, after Jönköping itself.
The closest airports are Jönköping Airport and Växjö airport, which are about 70 km (43 mi) from Värnamo.
Krösatågen railway connecting Jönköping with Växjö stop in Värnamo. So do the trains connecting Nässjö with Helsingborg. The national train company SJ[dead link] operate a railway between Gothenburg Karlskrona and Kalmar which stops in Värnamo. Södra stambanan, connecting Malmö with Stockholm, stop in nearby stations Alvesta and Nässjö. From these you can continue to Värnamo by a regional train or bus.
Värnamo is at the intersection between the national highway E4, carrying traffic north to Stockholm and all the way to Tornio and south to Halmstad, and route 27 which carry traffic between Gothenburg and Karlskrona. Route 127 connects Värnamo with Vetlanda, and route 153 with Varberg.
Being relatively small, it is easy to cover central Värnamo by foot or bicycle. The public transport in Värnamo is close to non-existent, as the local bus network is constituted by a single bus line.
- Västbo Taxi (The taxi center is located by the train station), ☏ . A local taxi company.
- 1 Store Mosse National Park (17 km (11 mi) north west of Värnamo). A national park and the largest morass in Sweden outside of Norrland. It has a rich bird life, with several bird towers and lookouts, and 10 hiking trails between 1 km (0.62 mi) and 7 km (4.3 mi) length; two of them are accessible for weelchairs. Naturum is a nearby visitors centre providing information about the local geology, flora fauna and cultural history, with exhibitions and activities for young and old. One of the more popular parks so don't come late during the summer months as parking lots fill before noon. One parking lot is reserved for motorhomes which can stay for one night.
- Vandalorum, Skulpturvägen 2, ☏ , email@example.com. A museum of contemporary art and design.
- Miliseum, Artillerigatan 14, SE-568 30 Skillingaryd (14 km S of Vaggeryd), ☏ . Tu-F 10:00-15:00, Sa 10:00-14:00, Su (July only) 10:00-14:00. A museum about the local regiment, with heritage back to the 17th century Swedish Empire. The museum tells about the life of soldiers serving in the National Army System and their families, together with the operations of military engineers units. Adult 60 kr, youth 13-18 20 kr, child free.
- 1 High Chaparral (24 km (15 mi) north west of Värnamo), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. An Old West-themed theme park.
- Ohsabanan, ☏ . A heritage railway connecting the settlements Ohs and Bor about 10 km (6.2 mi) south of Värnamo. During the summer trains are operated by steam locomotives.
- Restaurang Bambu, Lundavägen 4 (Bredaryd), ☏ . Asian cuisine.
- Bredaryds Wärdshus, Lundavägen 16 (Bredaryd), ☏ .
- Gästgivargården, Växjövägen 1, ☏ , email@example.com.
- San Marino, Storgatan 52, ☏ . A pizzeria.
- D8, Storgatsbacken 18a, ☏ . Italian restaurant with a reputation for its pizzas
- Rosegarden, Storgatan 22, ☏ . Both à la carte and buffet available with a blend of different Asian cuisines
- Bredaryds Wärdshus, Lundavägen 16, ☏ .
- Folkhögskolans Vandrarhem Värnamo, Sveavägen 32, ☏ . A hostel. 350 kr/night for a single.
- Best Western Hotel (formerly Hotell Tre Liljor), Storgatan 28 B, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scandic Hotel, Storgatsbacken 20 E, ☏ .
- Sväno och Lövö vandrarhem, Naturum (Located inside Store Mosse National Park), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Two old farmsteads turned hostel. The reception is staffed 11:00-17:00.
- 1 Toftaholms herrgård, Toftaholm (15 km (9.3 mi) south of Värnamo), ☏ . A mansion turned conference and hotel centre with 45 suites. The restaurant has a great wine cellar. The mansion also offer a relax area. 1500-3700 kr.
- Eksjö - One of the best preserved historical wood towns in the Nordic countries
- Jönköping - The largest city in Småland
- Växjö - A bishopric and one of three county seats in Småland
- Älmhult - Birthplace of Carl Linnaeus and IKEA
|Routes through Värnamo|
|Helsingborg ← Ljungby ←||S N||→ Jönköping → Stockholm|
|Markaryd ← Ljungby ←||S N||→ Vaggeryd → Jönköping|