Wakefield was founded in 1830 by Irish, Scottish, and English immigrants. It went to to become a lumber town (like so many others near Ottawa), then became a bedroom community suburb of Ottawa/Gatineau. Nowadays, it's best known as the home of the Black Sheep Inn (see below).
Take any bridge from Ottawa to Gatineau but the Macdonald Cartier bridge from King Edward Street is the most direct. Take Highway 5 to Maniwaki. Go north about 15 minutes past the Casino exit. Take Exit 28 and Wakefield Exit at the immediate roundabout. The Main Street is just down the hill. Total trip time from Byward Market area is about 20 minutes.
Greyhound goes from the Ottawa bus terminal to Wakefield once per day and takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. A return ticket is about $15. The bus leaves Ottawa at 08:30, and (if it's running on schedule) leaves Wakefield at 15:05.
Expéditions Wakefield rents bicycles; see their entry in the "Buy" section.
- 1 The Black Sheep Inn (Le Mouton Noir), 753 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 14:00-23:30. Has become well known for top quality musical entertainment, and has hosted some concerts broadcast across Canada. Check listings in Ottawa newspapers, such as the Ottawa Citizen or on their web site. Cover varies between $7-20, depending on who is performing that evening.
- 2 Fairbairn House Heritage Centre, 45 Wakefield-Heights, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May-June: Sa Su 09:00-17:00; July-August: 09:00-17:00; September-October: Sa-Su 09:00 17:00. Wakefield's local history museum, located in the 1850s-era Fairbairn farmhouse.
- 3 Prime Minister Lester B Pearson's Gravesite, 42 chemin du Cimetière-Maclaren (in the MacLaren Cemetery, behind the mill; turn on Mill Road off of River Road and then turn right on MacLaren immediately after the mill; the cemetery is at the top of the hill.). A Nobel Peace Prize recipient, former prime minister, and contributor to the founding of the United Nations Peacekeeping Forces, Pearson died in 1972.
- 4 Wakefield (Gendron) Covered Bridge (Pont couvert de Wakefield), Chemin du Vieux-Pont. An historic bridge that was reconstructed in 1996 after burning down earlier in the decade. Indicative of the area, the red bridge spans the Gatineau River near the centre of the village.
- Fall leaves in the Gatineau Hills are incredible. Usually best in late September and early October, the whole region is a feast for your eyes.
- During the spring months, and "break up time", locals place a barrel on the ice of the Gatineau River. Bets are placed as to when this barrel will sink. Nothing spectacular to see, but if you look for it, it will be there.
- 1 Great Canadian Bungee, 1780 Quebec Route 105, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. For the adventurous. North America's highest bungee jump.
- Artists in their Environment, ☏ . Held in September each year and features many local artists. Visitors can tour the studios of local artists and acquire interesting creative works.
Gatineau Park can be accessed from the village and from several other locations nearby. Hiking, walking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing trails abound.
Walking trails starting from several points in Wakefield Village will give visitors historical or nature perspectives. Groomed and marked baths run along the outskirts of the Village and can be accessed by MacLaren House, near the Mill.
Kayak and canoe in the Gatineau River or one of the hundreds of lakes in the area. Rentals can be arranged with Boutique Burro Borracho at 721-B Riverside Dr beside Solstice Books. Canoe trips can also be booked with Expeditions Radisson
Swim in the Gatineau River near the Wakefield Covered Bridge.
- 2 Captiva Farms, 189 chemin de la montange, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ info@CaptivaFarms.com. Daily 09:00-sunset. Horse back riding on trails which wrap through the lush forests, open fields and wind through mountainous terrain. (E-mails will be answered when time permits; calling by telephone will ensure a quicker response.)
- 3 Ski Edelweiss, 538 chemin Edelweiss. Ski hill, snow tubing, equipment rental and repair, restaurant and bar on-site. $41/person (full day).
- 4 [dead link] Ski Vorlage, 65 chemin Burnside, ☏ . Medium-sized ski runs.
There are several small shops featuring local artisans and interesting articles; these are only a few of them.
- 1 La Confiserie Wakefield, 817 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 12:00-17:00, W-Su 10:00-18:00. A classic confectionery, selling chocolates, candies, and preserves.
- 2 Expéditions Wakefield, 721 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:00-18:00, Su 09:00-17:00. Sells outdoor clothing, bicycles, paddleboards, and kayaks. Also rents bicycles.
- 3 Khewa Native Art Boutique and Gallery (Boutique d’art autochtone et galerie Khewa), 737 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-17:00. A shop selling authentic native arts and jewellery.
- 4 Wakefield Bakery, 813 chemin Riverside, ☏ . 07:00-19:00. Breads, pastries, fudge, and sausage rolls - especially sausage rolls, made according to a 30-year-old family recipe.
- 1 Bistro Chez Eric, 28 chemin Valley, ☏ . Tu 17:00-21:00, Th-Sa 17:00-21:00, Su 11:15 and 17:00-21:00. Dining room, sandbox and patio. Café by day with superb specialty coffees, lunch specials, several innovative dishes and a bistro by night.
- 2 Café Pot-Au-Feu, 794 chemin Riverside, ☏ . W-F 11:00-21:00, Sa-Su 10:00-21:00. Upscale restaurant in village's old train station on Gatineau River. French, Québécois and international cuisine. Site is the subject of a Philip Craig painting. Table d'hôte $32.
- 3 Café Molo, 1 chemin Valley, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 07:00-07:00, Sa-Su 08:00-17:00. An inexpensive country café that serves breakfast and lunch.
- 4 Le Hibou, 757 chemin Riverside, ☏ . M-Th 11:00-20:30, F-Sa 11:00-21:30, Su 10:00-20:30.
- 5 Pizzeria Mama Gen, 12A Valley Dr., ☏ . Gourmet pizza featuring unusual ingredients on a herbed thin crust.
Inns & Bed and Breakfast
- 1 Auberge de Mon Petit Chum B&B, 29 chemin Burnside, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00-21:00, check-out: 11:00. Downtown 3-room B&B, full breakfast served 08:00-10:00, wi-fi, all rooms have private bath. Coffee, tea & hot chocolate available 24 hours/day. Several packages introduce visitors to local restaurants, Ottawa area museums, outdoor activities, local music venues and spas. $129, $150, or $160/night single, +$20/night per extra person.
- 2 Belle De Nuit Wakefield Inn, 21 chemin Burnside, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-19:00, check-out: 11:00. A relatively-new five-room inn. Smoking is allowed only in the parking lot. Rate includes in-room breakfast. $149-$199/night.
- 3 La Grange Country Inn, 37 chemin Rockhurst, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Four-sun bed and breakfast close to the centre of the village, attractive barn-style architecture, several rustic rooms, some feature kitchenettes. Regular yoga sessions. $119-159/night single +$25/night double.
- 4 River Echo, 735 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Formerly a second-language school, River Echo is now operating as a country inn. No smoking inside the building. M-F $165/night, Sa Su $200/night, discounts for full-week stays.
- 5 Les Trois Érables, 801 chemin Riverside, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Four-sun bed and breakfast in the heart of Wakefield village in historic village doctor's residence, constructed in 1896, a beautiful building on lovely grounds.
- 6 Wakefield Mill Inn & Spa (Auberge Le Moulin Wakefield), 60 Mill Road, ☏ , toll-free: . Restored mill on the La Pêche River at a small waterfall. Spa and restaurant. Dinner and spa packages available. Pet-friendly - one or two pets can stay with you in your room for an additional $35/night. $219+.
- 7 Alpengrus Motel, 831 chemin Riverside, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rustic European-styled motel, 15 rooms. No smoking in the building. Free parking. Secure bicycle storage. $109+ single, $249 apartment (6-8 people).
- 8 The Wakefield Grand, 911 chemin Riverside, ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. The Wakefield Grand can only be reserved as an entire building. $100/guest/night, minimun 10 guests.
- North along Hwy 105 for about 20 km will take you to Low, Quebec. A small town with a hockey arena.
- Chelsea, known for Gatineau Park, is the next town south on Hwy 5, the highway to Gatineau.
|Routes through Wakefield|
|ENDS ←||N S||→ Chelsea → Gatineau|
|ENDS at N S ←||N S||→ Chelsea → Gatineau|