The town is open, and tourism is encouraged. Although all property in the town is owned by the military, land is leased by commercial enterprises, and shops and accommodation are available.
Woomera is 5-6 hours' drive from Adelaide and 4 hours' drive from Coober Pedy. The town is 6km off the highway down a well-marked road that turns off at the tiny hamlet of Pimba, where Spud's Roadhouse is a prominent feature.
Woomera is small and is centred around Banool and Dewrang Avenues, with the Missile Park at the intersection of these.
Petrol costs around 30c/litre more than on the coast.
- Missile Park, Corner Banool and Dewrang Avenues. A selection of missiles and rockets which were developed here are on display in a park in the centre of town.
- The Obelisk. It's a symbolic Australia Day Monument located next to the Woomera Theatre on Dewrang Avenue.
- Len Beadell Memorial
- National Engineering Landmark
- Deep Station 41. This facility was built 25 kilometers south of Woomera at the Island Lagoon.
- History Museum, Corner Banool and Dewrang Avenues (next to the Missile Park). 9AM-3PM. Separate to the museum in the visitors' centre. $4.
- Rocket History Museum, Dewrang Avenue (in the Visitors' Centre). 9AM-5PM. Small museum about the rockets that were developed here, with a bit about the local life. $6.
- Breen Park Bird Reserve.
During the summer months from October to Anzac Day (25 April), the Woomera Swimming Pool complex is popular with locals and tourists. The complex features a 25-metre pool and a 1-metre diving board.
- Woomera Theatre, Dewrang Avenue. Shows films most Saturday evenings. It also has a photogenic entrance at other times.
- Bowling alley, Dewrang Avenue (in the Visitors Centre). 9AM-5PM.
- Woomera Village Store, Dewrang Avenue (opposite Visitors Centre). Sells groceries and booze.
- Thrift Store, Dewrang Avenue. Saturday 9am-3pm.
- Eldo Hotel, Kotara Crescent (follow the signs). Standard pub food at standard outback prices (good drink prices though, especially during happy hour). Balcony overlooking the desert. Dinner 6pm-8:30pm, bar open later (from 9:30pm on Mondays to 12:30am on weekends). $20-$35.
- Spud's Roadhouse, Pimba, where the turnoff from the highway is. Typical roadhouse fare, including lavish burgers. $10-$30.
- Woomera Traveller's Village & Caravan Park.
- Eldo Hotel, Kotara Cr (follow the signs), ☎ . Former workers' accommodation, it's pretty basic but clean and comfortable. $110 ensuite room.
- Spud's Roadhouse, Pimba, where the turnoff from the highway is. Motel rooms and caravan parking. www.spudshotel.com.au, since wikivoyage's captchas aren't working. $110 motel rooms.
Telstra should have service in Woomera. Vodafone doesn't. Optus might.
There is no wifi at the Eldo and probably nowhere else either.
Red Lake, Lake Richarson, Lake Windabout, Arcoona Lake, Mirage Lagoon, Whisky Swamp, Laek Mary, Purple Lake, Coorlay Lagon, Roxby Downs, Olympic Dam, Lake Campbell, Island Lagoon, Lake Hart, Lake Hanson
|Routes through Woomera|
|Alice Springs ← Coober Pedy ←||N S||→ Port Augusta|