Aysén or Aysén del General Carlos Ibañez del Campo is in Chile.
It is one of Chile's 14 existing political and territorial divisions, or regions, located in the Chilean Patagonia. Characterized by exuberant vegetation in great parts of its territory, beautiful rivers, lakes, and several National Parks and National Reserves.
- Coyhaique - Capital city
Towns near Coyhaique: Puerto Aysén, Puerto Chacabuco, Balmaceda.
Towns south of Coyhaique: Puerto Ibáñez, Puerto Murta, Puerto Rio Tranquilo, El Maitén, Puerto Guadal, Chile Chico, Puerto Bertrand, Cochrane, Puerto Vagabundo, Caleta Tortel, Puerto Yungay, Villa O'Higgins.
Carretera Austral crosses the Aysén Region from North to South, with several side roads towards towns on its east and west.
1. Cuenca del Palena, the territory influenced by the Palena River, that includes in the center, La Junta, to the West, Raul Marín Balmaceda, to the East, Lago Verde and to the North-East Palena (this last town, in the X Region. Good sports fishing destination, with the Palena and Figueroa Rivers, plus many other tributaries and Lake Rosselot.
2. Puyuhuapi, with its fishing activity, its handmade carpet factory and the Queulat National Park with its hanging glacier.
3. Puerto Cisnes, with its beautiful Cisnes River and fishing activity.
4. Coyhaique, regional capital with its surrounding lakes. Balmaceda has its national airport. Also well known as a sports fishing destination.
5. Laguna San Rafael , with the San Rafael glacier that falls into the ocean.
6. Lago General Carrera and its surroundings, the Marble Cathedral and nature activities.
7. Campos de Hielo Norte
Many of the towns along the Carretera Austral may only have buses going your way a couple times a week, and many do not have ATMs (or have ATMs that don't seem to work with many foreign cards). Make sure to keep a good stash of emergency cash on hand before venturing out into the smaller towns in case you get stuck waiting for a bus longer than expected.
- Residencial Patagonia (Clotilde Yáñez Avilez), ☎ . Is an ok hospedaje, that is important since it is the last place to sleep before Cerro Castillo with over hundred kilometer of road. At Carretera Austral at the cross to Bahia Murta.