Bad Bevensen lies in a gently-rolling landscape on the North German Plain. The region is characterized by potato, sugar beet and grain farming, by forests, small heaths, the valley of the Ilmenau and the Elbe Lateral Canal.
The River Ilmenau flows through the town and the Elbe Lateral Canal runs past it to the east.
The town was first mentioned in the records in 1162, but was not given town rights until 1929. It has been officially recognised by the state as a mineral health spa since 1976. There are up to 6 large rehabilitation clinics around Bad Bevensen and many of the town's facilities and businesses are geared up to catering for rehabilitation patients. This tends to give the town a slow, relaxing pace of life.
Road: Bad Bevensen is situated 85 km southeast of Hamburg on the B 4 federal road. It is located between the towns of Uelzen and Lüneburg which can be accessed from the A7 autobahn. Air: The nearest airports are at Hanover and Hamburg. Rail: There are hourly connections from the Bad Bevensen station both north to Hamburg and south, via Uelzen to Hanover.
Once in Bad Bevensen most of the facilities and hotels are accessible by foot. However for the less able, a good taxi service is available. Most of the main hotels are to the east of the River Ilmenau and the restaurants to the west.
- Medingen Abbey (Kloster Medingen), ☎ . There a guided tours from Easter Sa to 15 Oct at the fol times: Tu-Sa 10am and 2-5pm. So at 11am 2-5pm. Not open on Mo and 23/24 Aug (Thanksgiving and Consecration Festival).
- Schliekau Museum (Museum Schliekau), ☎ . Kurze Str. 4, Mo (except Jan) 4pm, one of the biggest private collections in Germany with pre- and early historical exhibits of the region as well as furniture and musical instruments. 
- Wollstein Local History Museum (Wollsteiner Heimatstuben), ☎ . Gollerner Weg 54, Apr-Oct Tu 10-12am, household artefacts, documents, papers, pictures and personal valuables of the refugees from the former district of Wollstein in Poland (today Wielkopolska).
- "From the Forest" (Naturkundliche Ausstellung "Aus dem Walde"), daily 10am-4.30pm, natural history exhibition behind the hotel "Vier Linden" in Medingen
- Niendorf Local History and Tractor Museum (Heimat- und Treckermuseum Niendorf), ☎ . Daily 8am-6pm. ]
Kloster Medingen St The 17th century monastic farm estate known as Klosterhof Medingen (Medingen Monastery Estate) where, 50 years ago, a Trakehner stud was established. Mauritius Klosterweg 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen, 0.7 miles from town centre Tel: +495821 2286 
Hundertwasser-Bahnhof The artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser built this from an old station integrating modern technology in a beautiful building. Friedensreich-Hundertwasser-Platz 1, 29525 Uelzen, 7.8 miles from town centre Tel: +4905813890489 
Golf Resort Adendorf Golf Course, Moorchaussee 3, 21365 Adendorf, 15.5 miles from town centre Tel: +49413122332660 
German Salt Museum (Deutsches Salzmuseum) Lüneburg is famous for salt. It was built on a huge salt field. The German Salt Museum was opened on the site of the mines here. Sulfmeisterstrasse 1, D-21335 Luneburg,13.1 miles from town centre Tel: +49413145065 
Jod Sole Therme This modern spa focuses on the needs of people who wish to do something for their health and to keep fit in a quiet landscape with beautiful forests. Dahlenburger Str. 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen, 0.7 miles from town centre 
Museumsdorf Hosseringen A museum demonstrating a blast from the past with agriculture / farming done the old fashioned way., Landtagsplatz 2, 29556 Suderburg, 17.9 miles from town centre 
The spa town is located in the middle of the Lüneburg Heath and as such most of the souvenirs are heath related (prints and local arts and crafts).
- Hermann Löns Heidespezialitäten (Heinz Eggert), Dahlenburger Str. 21-23, ☎ . The Heinz Eggert distillery produces a wide range of local liquours and spirits in their Hermann Löns range, named after the famous heath poet, such as Alter Heidejäger ("Old Heath Hunter") based on herbs and wild fruit.
- Eiscafe Fontanella, Lüneburger Straße 26, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.3 miles from town centre), ☎ .
- Imbiss Rathausstraßse, Rathausstraße 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.4 miles from town centre), ☎ .
- Feuerstein, Bei der Kirche 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.5 miles from town centre), ☎ .
- Anno 1825, Peschke Kirchenstr. 6, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.5 miles from town centre), ☎ .
- Bar-Celona, Bahnhofstraße 11, ☎ .
Most of the hotels and restaurants have bar facilities.
- Hotel Fahrhaus, Alter Mühlenweg 1, Bad Bevensen, ☎ . Escape to a warm family run hotel in the Heide. From €52.
- Hotel Kieferneck, Lerchenweg 1, Bad Bevensen, ☎ . A quality 4* hotel with facilities that range from a spa to access to a number of nearby golf courses From €51.
- Hotel Ilmenautal, Am Klaubusch 11, Bad Bevensen. A family run hotel next to the Kurparc. From €45.
Museum im Dorf Gifhorn, 23 miles south of Bad Bevensen 
Wildpark Lueneburger Heide Hanstedt, 24 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Otter-Zentrum Hankensbuettel, 24 miles south of Bad Bevensen 
Jagdmuseum Wulff Dedelstorf, 28 miles south of Bad Bevensen 
Schulmuseum Steinhorst Gifhorn, 28 miles south of Bad Bevensen 
Museum Festung DoemitzLudwigslust, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania. 28 miles east of Bad Bevensen 
Golf und Country Club Am Hockenberg Seevetal, 32 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Bergen-Belsen Memorial Bergen, 34 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen 
Boberger Duenen Hamburg, Germany. 34 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen
Golf Club Celle e.V. Celle, 34 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen 
Golf Gut Glinde Glinde, Schleswig-Holstein. 34 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Museum Burg Brome Brome, 37 miles southeast of Bad Bevensen 
Freilichtmuseum am Kiekeberg Ehestorf, 37 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Bomann Museum Celle, 38 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen 
Herzog Palace (Herzogschloss) Celle, 38 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen 
BallinStadt - Port of Dreams Hamburg, Germany. 38 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Nabu-Artenschutzzentrum Leiferde Leiferde, Lower Saxony. 39 miles south of Bad Bevensen U-Boat Museum, 39 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Kinomuseum Gifhorn, 39 miles south of Bad Bevensen, Prototyp Car Museum Hamburg, Germany. 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
HafenCity Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Heimatmuseum Mueden Muden, 40 miles south of Bad Bevensen 
High Flyer Hamburg Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Speicherstadtmuseum Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Markthalle Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Spicy`s Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
International Maritime Museum Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Hamburg Dungeon Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen 
Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen