Bad Bevensen lies in a gently-rolling landscape on the North German Plain. The region is characterized by potato, sugar beet and grain farming, by forests, small heaths, the valley of the Ilmenau and the Elbe Lateral Canal.
The River Ilmenau flows through the town and the Elbe Lateral Canal runs past it to the east.
The town was first mentioned in the records in 1162, but was not given town rights until 1929. It has been officially recognised by the state as a mineral health spa since 1976. There are up to 6 large rehabilitation clinics around Bad Bevensen and many of the town's facilities and businesses are geared up to catering for rehabilitation patients. This tends to give the town a slow, relaxing pace of life.
Get in 
Road: Bad Bevensen is situated 85km southeast of Hamburg on the B 4 federal road. It is located between the towns of Uelzen and Lüneburg which can be accessed from the A7 autobahn. Air: The nearest airports are at Hanover and Hamburg. Rail: There are hourly connections from the Bad Bevensen station both north to Hamburg and south, via Uelzen to Hanover.
Get around 
Once in Bad Bevensen most of the facilities and hotels are accessable by foot. However for the less able, a good taxi service is available. Most of the main hotels are to the east of the River Ilmenau and the restaurants to the west.
- Medingen Abbey (Kloster Medingen), tel. 05821 2286, There a guided tours from Easter Sa to 15 Oct at the fol times: Tu-Sa 10am and 2-5pm. So at 11am 2-5pm. Not open on Mo and 23/24 Aug (Thanksgiving and Consecration Festival).
- Schliekau Museum (Museum Schliekau), Kurze Str. 4, tel. 05821 1384, Mo (except Jan) 4pm, one of the biggest private collections in Germany with pre- and early historical exhibits of the region as well as furniture and musical instruments. []
- Wollstein Local History Museum (Wollsteiner Heimatstuben), Gollerner Weg 54, tel. 05821 7666, Apr-Oct Tu 10-12am, household artefacts, documents, papers, pictures and personal valuables of the refugees from the former district of Wollstein in Poland (today Wielkopolska).
- "From the Forest" (Naturkundliche Ausstellung "Aus dem Walde"), daily 10am-4.30pm, natural history exhibition behind the hotel "Vier Linden" in Medingen
- Niendorf Local History and Tractor Museum (Heimat- und Treckermuseum Niendorf), tel. 05807 248 daily 8am-6pm. []
Kloster Medingen St The 17th century monastic farm estate known as Klosterhof Medingen (Medingen Monastery Estate) where, 50 years ago, a Trakehner stud was established. Mauritius Klosterweg 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen, 0.7 miles from town centre Tel: +495821 2286 []
Hundertwasser-Bahnhof The artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser built this from an old station integrating modern technology in a beautiful building. Friedensreich-Hundertwasser-Platz 1, 29525 Uelzen, 7.8 miles from town centre Tel: +4905813890489 []
Golf Resort Adendorf Golf Course, Moorchaussee 3, 21365 Adendorf, 15.5 miles from town centre Tel: +49413122332660 []
German Salt Museum (Deutsches Salzmuseum) Lüneburg is famous for salt. It was built on a huge salt field. The German Salt Museum was opened on the site of the mines here. Sulfmeisterstrasse 1, D-21335 Luneburg,13.1 miles from town centre Tel: +49413145065 []
Jod Sole Therme This modern spa focuses on the needs of people who wish to do something for their health and to keep fit in a quiet landscape with beautiful forests. Dahlenburger Str. 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen, 0.7 miles from town centre []
Museumsdorf Hosseringen A museum demostrating a blast from the past with agriculture / farming done the old fashioned way. , Landtagsplatz 2, 29556 Suderburg, 17.9 miles from town centre []
The spa town is located in the middle of the Lüneburg Heath and as such most of the souvenirs are heath related (prints and local arts and crafts).
- Hermann Löns Heidespezialitäten (Heinz Eggert), Dahlenburger Str. 21-23, ☎ +49-(0)5821-9876-0. The Heinz Eggert distillery produces a wide range of local liquours and spirits in their Hermann Löns range, named after the famous heath poet, such as Alter Heidejäger ("Old Heath Hunter") based on herbs and wild fruit.
- Eiscafe Fontanella, Lüneburger Straße 26, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.3 miles from town centre), ☎ +4958211474.
- Imbiss Rathausstraßse, Rathausstraße 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.4 miles from town centre), ☎ +4958212804.
- Feuerstein, Bei der Kirche 1, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.5 miles from town centre), ☎ +495821 7236.
- Anno 1825, Peschke Kirchenstr. 6, 29549 Bad Bevensen (0.5 miles from town centre), ☎ +495821 2455.
- Bar-Celona, Bahnhofstraße 11, ☎ +49 151 19 66 30 78.
Most of the hotels and restaurants have bar facilities.
- Hotel Fahrhaus, Alter Mühlenweg 1, Bad Bevensen, ☎ 00495821 500-0. From €52. Escape to a warm family run hotel in the Heide.
- Hotel Kieferneck, Lerchenweg 1, Bad Bevensen, ☎ 00495821 560. From €51. A quality 4* hotel with facilities that range from a spa to access to a number of nearby golf courses
- Hotel Ilmenautal, Am Klaubusch 11, Bad Bevensen. From €45. A family run hotel next to the Kurparc.
Go next 
Museum im Dorf Gifhorn, 23 miles south of Bad Bevensen []
Wildpark Lueneburger Heide Hanstedt, 24 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Otter-Zentrum Hankensbuettel, 24 miles south of Bad Bevensen []
Snow Dome Bispingen, 24 miles west of Bad Bevensen []
Jagdmuseum Wulff Dedelstorf, 28 miles south of Bad Bevensen []
Schulmuseum Steinhorst Gifhorn, 28 miles south of Bad Bevensen []
Museum Festung DoemitzLudwigslust, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania. 28 miles east of Bad Bevensen []
Golf und Country Club Am Hockenberg Seevetal, 32 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Bergen-Belsen Memorial Bergen, 34 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen []
Boberger Duenen Hamburg, Germany. 34 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen
Golf Club Celle e.V. Celle, 34 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen []
Golf Gut Glinde Glinde, Schleswig-Holstein. 34 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Museum Burg Brome Brome, 37 miles southeast of Bad Bevensen []
Freilichtmuseum am Kiekeberg Ehestorf, 37 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Bomann Museum Celle, 38 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen []
Herzog Palace (Herzogschloss) Celle, 38 miles southwest of Bad Bevensen []
BallinStadt - Port of Dreams Hamburg, Germany. 38 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Nabu-Artenschutzzentrum Leiferde Leiferde, Lower Saxony. 39 miles south of Bad Bevensen U-Boat Museum, 39 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Kinomuseum Gifhorn, 39 miles south of Bad Bevensen, Prototyp Car Museum Hamburg, Germany. 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
HafenCity Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Heimatmuseum Mueden Muden, 40 miles south of Bad Bevensen []
High Flyer Hamburg Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Speicherstadtmuseum Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Markthalle Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Spicy`s Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
International Maritime Museum Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Hamburg Dungeon Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []
Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg, 40 miles northwest of Bad Bevensen []