Buda main parts are:
The Mount area (Hegyvidék) comprises all of the 12th & 2nd districts. It is the most exclusive area, with villas, embassies and foreign residences. This is the 'greenest' part of the city. Here is the city highest hill János hegy (527 m above sea level). It is situated in Buda the northwestern part. In north and northeast the III. district called Old Buda (Óbuda), in the east the Danube river by XIII. and IV. district,-Downtown (Belváros),- bounded. To the southeast is the I. district called Inner Buda (Belbuda). To the south the XI. district New Buda (Újbuda) is bounded. The neighboring communities is Budakeszi and Budaörs.
Old Buda (Óbuda officially called Óbuda-Békásmegyer) is the entire 3rd district, the core around Kolossy square Protected Area, with lot of centuries-old buildings. In the east Danube, and IV. and XIII. district is bounded. In the south and southwest by the II. district the Mount area (Hegyvidék), in northwest Solymar and Üröm in north Budakalasz its neighbors. Belongs to its field the Óbuda Island as well. The district center: Florian Square and the Main Square
Inner Buda (Belbuda) including Watertown (Vízíváros, Fő utca), Castle Hill (Budai Várnegyed), Taban (Tabán) and Kristinatown (Krisztinaváros). The borders of the district are Gellért Hill, Déli Railway Station and, at its northernmost point, the Margaret Bridge's bridgehead on its Buda side. Administratively in the northwest II. and XII.district, the Mount area (Hegyvidék), on south the XI. district (Újbuda) while in the east is bounded the Danube, by the V. district the Downtown (Belváros). - - New Buda - Tétény (Újbuda-Tétény), which comprises most of the south and southwestern parts of Buda, is a flat area. The construction of a new residential area started in the 1900s, the present district was formed in 1930. In the north the Hegyvidék (Hegyvidék) and Inner Buda (Belbuda) bounded. In the east on the Pest side by IX. (Ferencváros) district with four Danube Bridge connected. Also in the southeast, on the Pest side, by XXI. (Csepel) district bounded. Covers an area of 33.49 km ², of which eight districts in line. Until 1930's, was named the Saint Emeric City (Szent Imre város). The names of the district parts - Gellert Hill, Lágymányos, Albert's village (Albertfalva), Eastern's land (Kelenföld), Eastern's Valley (Kelenvölgy), Rich meadow (Gazdag rét), Guard Field-Orson (Őrmező-Őrsöd), Eagle Mountain (Sas-hegy), Sasad - or other names like: Rupp Hill (Rupp-hegy), Chamber of forest (Kamaraerdő), Stone end grove (Kőérberek), Bird Hill (Madár-hegy)- these the nice-sounding words is still living medieval names of district's settlements and landscapes. - Tétény officially called Budafok-Tétény is the southernmost part, with small hills and famous wineries. The neighboring communities is Diosd and Érd. -
Metro line 2 (red) crosses the Danube from Pest at the northern part of the inner city. It stops at three major transport hubs: Batthyany Square (gaze at the view to the Parliament before changing to the HÉV suburban train for Szentendre), Szell Kalman Square (former Moszkva Square, gateway to the Castle Hill) and South Railwaystation (Déli pályaudvar).
Metro line 4 (green) crosses the Danube at a southern point of the inner city.
You can take trams : no. 4, 6, 47, 49 from Pest all these lines (except no. 4) cross at the southern hub Moricz Zsigmond körtér, south of Gellérthegy. 4 & 6 now run modern Siemens Combino trams in contrast to some of the other rolling stock in use. 47 and 49 run from Deak Square (the central hub for Budapest metro lines) through Freedom Bridge (Szabadság Híd) to South-Buda.
Clark Adam Square is at the western end of the Сhain Bridge (Széchenyi Lánchíd), which is considered to be the most beautiful of the bridges over the Danube. The tér is also home to the zero statue that signifies the start (or end) point of journeys from the capital as shown on the roadsigns on major roads.
Buda has two railway stations: South Railwaystation (Déli pályaudvar), already mentioned, is the terminus of metro line 2 (red). Situated in the outskirts, Kelenföldi Railwaystation is becoming more and more important. (Many trains leaving from Keleti pályaudvar stop here.)
Batthyany square (Batthyány tér) a combined transport hub there is M2 station, the 5 end terminal - only this station is underground, in all Budapest, - for north direction to Obuda, to suburbs, to Szentendre where is the southern end of the very nice Danube Bend. A couple citybus & two tram lines end stop also here.
- Széna Square Bus Station (Széna tér autóbusz-állomás), II. Széna tér 2. (M2 'Széll Kálmán'), ☎ . Ticket office: M-F 6.00-18.00; Sa, Su 6.00-16.00. Bus services covering the Zsámbék basin region. - Services: Public toilet M-F 12:00-18:00, Sa, Su 8:00-14:00. - Buffet 6:00-18:00 - News stand 6:00-18:00
- Volánbusz Kelenföld Bus Station, XI.Somogyi u. 35., ☎ . Ticket office: workdays: 6.00-21.00, Sa, Su 6.00-16.00. Bus services are operated between this bus station and the towns of Biatorbágy, Érd and Százhalombatta and their respective regions.
Two convenient trams : 19/41/18 go along the Buda bank of the river. There is also a bicycle route in parallel to it. Buses number 7/173 (or the 7E/173E express service) run a very frequent service via Buda to Eastern (Keleti) Station in Pest and they are a very easy and convenient way to get around, though during the rush hours it can get quite crowded.
Other transport modes
- Cogwheel tram (Fogaskerekű) (To Bottom station ( Városmajor). take M2 Szell Kalman Square further bus 56 or: 59, 61. - From station M2 Szell Kalman Square take bus 21 to stop 'Ordas út' and walk 500m, -near the Children's Railway terminal,- to the Upper station ( Széchenyi-hegy). ). Using in the Buda Hills is a great escape from the city. The cogwheel tram, which is officially tram 61?, leaves from Varosmajor, accessible by: 59 or 61 from Szell Kalman Square. It climbs through the wooded Buda Hills and at the top. - Some history Since 1868 a horse tramway ran on schedule from the Lánchíd to Zugliget set in operation by the Budai Közúti Vaspálya Társaság (~ Public Railway Society of Buda). Nikolaus Riggenbach (the designer of the first European cog-wheel train line of Vitznau-Rig opened in 1871) with a colleague applied for the construction of the cog-wheel train line leading to Svábhegy. The first introductory vehicle ran from 4PM on June 24, 1874, and regular traffic began on the following day. The whole line was built according to Riggenbach's cog-wheel system. The normal-gauge single track railway was 2883m long all the way uphill with a difference in height of 264 m. The terminal point was built at the present Városmajor. - Extended in 1890, when traffic started to the Széchenyi Mountain increasing the length of the line to 3700m. From July 2, 1929, the new electrically powered vehicles ran every 15 minutes. 1973 saw a full reconstruction, during which the whole track was renewed using the Strub cog-wheel system, and new vehicles introduced.
- Children's Railway (Gyermekvasút officially MÁV Zrt. Széchenyi-hegyi Gyermekvasút), Hűvösvölgy (m2 Széll Kálmán tér further: 61 to stop Hűvösvölgy 5 min walk to Lower Terminal also here a suburb bus station for buses 29, 57, 63, 64, 64A, 157, 164, 257, 264- - To Upper station ( Széchenyi-hegyi állomás). take Cogwheel tram (see above) to the Upper station and 200m walk), ☎ , fax: +36 1 397 5396, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Sep all day, other only T-Su. Using in the Buda Hills is a great escape from the city. If you feel like doing it, take the Children's Railway through the hills to Hüvösvölgy and take tram 61 back down to Széll Kálmán tér. The cogwheel tram accepts local travelcards, but the Gyermekvasút does not, and fares can be found here. Also if you have an old map, you're supposed to find Pioneers' Railway (Úttörővasút) instead of Children's Railway in it, which is the former name of the railway from the soviet era. More info: Budapest#Get around - The Gyermekvasút (English: Children's Railway) or Line 7 is a narrow gauge railway line in Budapest, which connects Széchényi-hegy and Hűvösvölgy and is 11.2km long. The former name of the line was Uttörővasút (English: Pioneer Railway, in reference to the communist scouts). Except the train driver, all of the posts are operated by children, beside adult supervision. - History: In 1947, the Hungarian State Railways (MÁV) socitey decided that a railway operated by children would be built. The first section, from Széchényi Hill to Előre station (now Virágvölgy) was inaugurated on July 31, 1948. The second section, to Ságvári-liget (now Szépjuhászné), was completed one year later, and the last section, to Hűvösvölgy, was opened in late August 1950. OW/RW HUF700/1400, student half price.
Distrificy finished see Belbuda
Distrificy finished see Hegyvidék
Distrificy finished see Budapest/Újbuda_and_Tétény
Distrificy finished see Budapest/Óbuda