Flaxmere is a suburb in the district of Hastings City. It has a population of about 4500 residents. It was originally intended as a housing development area so Hastings could continue to grow without damaging the valuable horticultural land of the Heretaunga Plains, although it is still technically built on the Heretaunga Plains. Because of this Flaxmere is built on poor soil, and not much grows there. In recent times the value of the gravel-filled soil that Flaxmere is built around has been recognized, leading to a proliferation of vineyards. These vineyards produce some of the best wine in the world.
- Turn left at the huge roundabout where Omahu road leaves Hastings and crosses State Highway 2a
- Enter near Flaxmere from the Bridge Pa aerodrome
Being a suburb that was planned with modern town planning knowledge (about 1964) Flaxmere has many large and varied green spaces that are good value to explore.
- Flaxmere Park. This huge park has very nice rose gardens and is interesting to explore
- Flaxmere Avenue Travels the length of Flaxmere from one end to the other
- Flaxmere is surrounded by many of Hawkes Bay's more famous wineries and vineyards
- Flaxmere Waterworld, Swansea Rd, +64 6 8797676. A large heated indoor swimming pool. Cost $1 to get into the heated pools. They have huge inflatable toys for the kids to play on.
- Flax Rock Adventure Centre, 8 Swansea Rd. Indoor rock climbing and other activities.
- Most of Flaxmere's CBD is on a long strip along Swansea Road.
- Rural roads leading into Flaxmere offer roadside produce stalls and shops
Like most of Hastings, Flaxmere is surrounded by a number of wineries. All are excellent places to eat and drink. All of the hours presented here are cellar door hours (eg when one can look around and purchase) restaurant hours are probably different, best to check
- Crossroads Winery, 1747 Korokipo Rd, State Highway 50 (between Fernhill and Taradale), ☎ . Daily 10AM-5PM.
- Trinity Hill Winery, 2396 State Highway 50, RD 5, Fernhill, ☎ . Daily 10AM-5PM.
- Te Awa Winery, 2375 State Highway 50, RD 5, ☎ . Daily 10AM-4PM. Quite nice. Offers a la carte dining noon-2:30PM
- Unison Vineyards, 2163 State Highway 50, ☎ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM.
- Hatton Estate Vineyard & Winery, 124 Gimblett Rd (off State Highway 50), ☎ . Daily 10AM-5PM.
- Matariki Wines, 52 Kirkwood Rd (off Omahu Rd), ☎ . Daily 10AM-5PM. Groups and tours by arrangement. Has cheese boards.
Flaxmere, being so close to the main urban centre of Hastings, doesn't need nor have all that much accommodation. Anyway it's generally considered a bad idea to stay overnight in Flaxmere. Flaxmere's status as a "don't go there after dusk" status also means that people only visit for day trips, while staying in Hastings. Despite this there is still accommodation.
- Flaxmere Tavern, Swansea Rd, ☎ .