- Take the Washington State Ferries from Anacortes. Allows vehicles, bikes, and walk-on passengers.
- Victoria Clipper Ferry, toll-free: . The ferry runs during the summer months (Seattle & San Juan). It leaves from Seattle's pier 69, near the Sculpture Park, at 7:45AM, and gets into Friday Harbor at 11:15AM. They recommend checking in in Seattle one hour early. The ferry leaves Friday harbor at 16:30 and gets back to Seattle at 19:15. The ferry is comfortable and offers very scenic views. It is a convenient way for the car-less to get to the San Juans from Seattle. $80-145 return.
By sea plane
- Kenmore Air, toll-free: , fax: +1 425-485-4774, e-mail: reservations@KenmoreAir.com. Kenmore Air seaplanes make up to seven flights daily from downtown Seattle's Lake Union to Friday Harbor Marina (as well as to Roche Harbor Marina at the northwest corner of San Juan Island. Kenmore Air Express also offers daily land plane service between Seattle's Boeing Field/King County International Airport (BFI) and Friday Harbor Airport (FRD). Complimentary shuttle transfers are available to/from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) for passengers on either Kenmore Air service. A quick and spectacular, though not cheap, way to arrive. $75-139.
- If you have access to a boat, guest moorage is available in the marina. Friday Harbor is an official U.S. ports-of-entry and can process boaters through customs. The Cardinal Rule is touch land at customs dock before any other stops, fines for not doing so can be up to $5000. Besides a passport for everyone on board, you will need your boat's license number and User Fee Decal number.
Customs enforces USDA guidelines for what foods are acceptable to bring into the country and these guidelines are constantly changing so it is best to check in with them before arriving. Boaters are responsible for knowing the prohibited foods and can be fined for not declaring them.
- If you have an airplane, Friday Harbor has a well-equipped though modest airport. It is a US Customs Port of Entry, so it can be your first stop from Canada.
Everything is within walking distance from the harbor and there are plenty of places to eat and things to do for those arriving by ferry to spend a day or two. However, it should also be noted that Friday Harbor is quite commercially developed, considering its remoteness, and offers more of a laid-back, country club vibe than one of a fishing community.
- Friday Harbor Laboratories Friday Harbor houses one of the oldest and most famous marine research institutions, Friday Harbor Laboratories (or Labs, as it better known to locals). Situated inside University of Washington Biological Reserve (2.5 miles north of Friday Harbor), you will see island spotted deers, raccoons, Tree frogs, Banana slugs, Columbian black-tailed deet, Norway rat, White-footed mouse etc. Meet lab guys Charley and Paul to learn about fascinating life of seaweeds.
- The Whale Museum
- The Sea Shepherd Gallery. The small shop and information center for the Sea Shepherd, the activist ship from Whale Wars and Sharkwater.
There are several kayaking tour organizers in the town. Typically costs $85 for one day trips up to $150 per day for camping tours.
- Birding and Bird-watching Tours and Whale Watching
Biologist guides lead tours to the prime orca whale watching waters. Abundant seals, eagles, and other marine wildlife. Tour lengths range from a half-day up to 2, 3 and 5 day camping trips to the smaller islands. 360-378-5767 or 888-589-4253, firstname.lastname@example.org Kayaking Tours in Friday Harbor 
- Washington State Ferries
Watch the majestic Washington state ferries sweeping in and out of Friday Harbor. Produces no waves even at 25 knots speed!
Watch the take-off and landing of seaplanes (Kenmore Air)from the south edge of harbor.
- Whale watching
West-coast of the island is famous for whale watching. You can get all relevant information in couple of tourist centers.
- Orca Whale Watching & Wildlife-San Juan Island, WA, 2 spring Street landing (steps from the ferry), toll-free: , e-mail: Fun@SanJuanSafaris.com. 8 to 8. Orca whale watching plus see porpoise, dolphins, eagles, rafts of sea birds and the coastlines of the San Juans. $49 and up.
- Adventure Attractions North West, Spring Street at First Street (next to ferry), ☎ . N Whale Watching, Sea Kayaking, Flight Seeing, Bike Tours and Fishing. $49 +.
- Funk and Junk Antiques
85 Nichols Street, 2 blocks up from ferry. 360.378.2638 url="http://funkandjunkantiques.com" 11:00-5:30 daily. Friday Harbor's oldest antique store, with eclectic assortment. Fine antiques to funk.
- Feed Popeye, The pier. Popeye the harbor seal has been coming into Friday Harbor for 24 years. Walk out on the pier past the sea plane reservations and the dumpsters for the moored ships, and head down the ramp. There will be a seafood shop on your left. Popeye is often in front of the boat the China Doll. The seafood stand sells bags of fish you can feed her. $5.
You will never forget the yummiest taste you will have of roasted beef bagel sandwich at Dining, FHL, Friday harbor. FHL Dining also features a special garden salad with honey mustard.
- CoHo (gourmet dining), nichols street (on spring st turn left at gas stateion). Serves Island grown Pacific cuisine with an international flair. Coho’s team of talented chefs have created an exciting menu developed around the seasonality of fresh ingredients from the surrounding Islands with menu ideas drawn from the owner’s European heritage and her Cookbook, La Cucina Anna Maria: Good Life Recipes from San Juan Island. Each night they showcase simple and artful fare that allows the flavors of the individual ingredients to resonate on the palate.
- Vic's Drive In, 25 2nd Street. since 1958! Basic burger joint, good food at good prices.
- Roy's Milkshakes. Best.Milkshakes.Ever.
- The Hungry Clam, 205 'A' Street (Just up from the parking lot for the ferry at A St & 1st St.), ☎ . Greasy but good. Delicious fish and chips, and the few taps they have are interesting. $9.99 for two-piece fish and chips.
Don't miss Wednesday night karaoke at Herb's. Where the movie free willy was filmed
- Best Western Friday Harbor Suites, 680 Spring St, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 360 378-4228.
- Earthbox Motel and Spa, 410 Spring Street, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 360-378-4351, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Nichols Street Suites, 85 Nichols Street, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Two deluxe in-town suites, decorated with selections from Funk and Junk Antiques and original art. Sleeps 2-6 people. Book online.
- Birdrock Hotel, 35 First Street (Three blocks from the ferry landing), toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. Modern boutique San Juan Island Hotel. 15 Unique rooms with fireplaces, jetted tubs, continental breakfast, free bicycle rentals.
- Island Inn at 123 West, PO Box 2346, Friday Harbor, WA 98250, ☎ , toll-free: . Contemporary styled 1 & 2 bedroom penthouse suites, euro-style guest rooms. In town, on the waterfront, 1.5 blocks from Washington State Ferries landing, across the street from public marina and commercial ferries. Easy walking distance to shops & restaurants.