The nearest airport to Fukui is in Komatsu. Buses connect Komatsu Airport with Komatsu Station for ¥260, from which you can take a Hokuriku Line local train for the 50 minute run to Fukui (¥820).
If coming internationally, the best airport to arrive in is Kansai International Airport in Osaka. From the Airport, you can reach Fukui by train in about 3.5 hours by taking the Haruka limited express train to Shin-Osaka, and transferring across the platform to the Thunderbird, described below.
Fukui is connected to Kyoto and Osaka 1-2 times per hour by the Thunderbird train. This train makes the run from Osaka to Fukui in about 1 hour, 50 minutes. From Kyoto, the run takes about 1 hour, 20 minutes. The price for the service is ¥5700 from Osaka and ¥4600 from Kyoto.
If coming from Tokyo, take the hourly Tokaido Shinkansen Hikari service that stops at Maibara station. From Maibara, take the Shirasagi to Fukui (3 1/2 hours, ¥14000).
There is no charge for the above services with the Japan Rail Pass.
The Dream Fukui overnight bus service runs from both Tokyo Station and Shinjuku to the Keifuku Bus Terminal in Fukui (9 hours, ¥7,800-9,200 one-way). The price varies between seasons. Two departures nightly.
While there are enough sites within walking distance of the station to tour on foot, many sites are too far apart for walking to be a viable option. In many cases, it's best to at least use public transport to get you within reasonable distance to start your walk.
- Gokurakuyu Onsen (極楽湯), 1 Chome-118 Kaihotsu (開発1丁目118番地) (Close to Echizen-Kaihotsu Sta.). ¥630.
- Aossa- Aossa de aossa! A relatively newer shopping mall that created a lot of excitement when it first opened in 2007, but then turned out not to be worth all the fuss. It has a cafe and some clothing stores on the first floor and a movie theatre above. It is conveniently situated right across from Fukui Station.
- LPa/Lovely Partner (福井市大和田２丁目１２１２番地） - a popular shopping mall that is unique to Fukui prefecture. Above it is the cinema, Korona World.
- Katsudon - While most of Japan prefers to eat its katsudon (breaded pork cutlet on top of rice) topped with a sweet omelet, Fukui is famous for creating the sauce katsudon, which is instead covered by a sweet and salty sauce similar to Worcester sauce. It is ubiquitous on menus throughout the prefecture.
- Oroshi Soba - Cold or hot buckwheat noodles with grated Japanese radish. Restaurants serving oroshi soba can be found throughout the prefecture. A budget and convenient restaurant is Imajo Soba (今庄そば) in the Fukui St building.
- Maruhachi (まる八), 1-1-9 Miyuki, ☎ . 11AM-3PM, 5PM-9PM, closed on Thu. Serves oroshi soba and katsudon among others.
- Akiyoshi (秋吉), 2-12-17 Junka, ☎ . 5PM-3AM, closed on Sunday. This is a Katamachi (片町) branch of Akiyoshi, a locally owned yakitori (grilled chicken skewers) restaurant which has many branches hroughout Fukui and the larger area. All branches have a picture menu, and most have an English one, if you ask (or they notice that you're not Japanese). Look for a red lantern sign at the entrance, and a line of business men eating and drinking at the counter. The surrounding street of Katamachi is full of other izakaya, Japanese-style pubs.
- Hotel Fujita Fukui. Singles from ¥7000.
- Terminal Hotel Fukui. Singles from ¥5500.
- Fukui Plaza Hotel. Singles from ¥5000.
- Annex Hotel Fukui. Singls from ¥5300.
- Town Hotel Fukui. Singles from ¥2800.
- Tsukimi Ryokan. Rooms from ¥4725.
- Eiheiji Temple (永平寺). Established in 1244 by Zen Master Dōgen, a testament to the ability of the Japanese to fuse architecture and nature in a seamless and timeless structure. Visitors are welcome to tour the monastery and for ¥8000 per night (¥3000 per night for stays of more than a few days) can experience training according to the Sōtō Zen tradition. The temple is located about 15 km outside Fukui; either take a direct bus from Fukui Station (4 daily, 30 min, ¥720) or a train to Eiheiji-Guchi (25min, ¥440yen) and then a connecting bus (15min, ¥410).
- Sakai for Tojimbo
- Awara for Awara Onsen
|Routes through Fukui|
|Kanazawa ← Kaga ←||N S||→ Sabae → Echizen → Maibara|
|Kanazawa ← Kaga ←||N S||→ Sabae → Takefu → Tsuruga → Maibara|