Hagerstown is a charming city on the edge of the Appalachian Mountains and near the Potomac River in NW Maryland, United States. It is the county seat of, and the largest city in, Washington County. The city is perhaps best known for its outstanding outlet mall, which offers a huge variety of clothing among other things. It is named after Jonathan Hager, a German settler who founded the community in the mid-1700s. Hagerstown has an approximate population of 40,000 (metropolitan population of ~260,000) and is the fastest growing metro area in Maryland.
Hagerstown is only 80 minutes away from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Harrisburg. The main interstate highways running by the city are I-81 and I-70, each of which have multiple well-signed exits for Hagerstown.
Hagerstown Regional Airport (IATA: HGR), located 5 miles (8 km) outside of the city, is commercially serviced with flights to and from Orlando-Sanford International Airport and Washington-Dulles. Alternatively, one can use Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI), Harrisburg International Airport (IATA: MDT), Washington National Airport (IATA: DCA), or Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) all of which are within 60 miles (97 km) to 75 miles (121 km) driving distance of Hagerstown.
- Renting cars or driving to Hagerstown is advised because only the downtown area is walkable. Walking downtown, however, is safe and charming.
- For a taxi you could call Miller Cabs, Turner Vans, or hail Downtown Taxi! cabs on the streets in downtown.
- County Commuter buses are effective and go to all points in the city.
Aside from simply admiring the ubiquitous vistas of the Appalachian Mountains, you might also want to see:
- Hagerstown City Park, 501 Virginia Ave, ☎ . 6AM-10PM. Stroll through a beautifully traditional city park, with playgrounds for the kids, picnic areas, and a flock of ducks and geese to accompany you on your walk around the park's lake. free.
- Hager House, 110 Key St, ☎ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-5PM. See the founder of Hagerstown's pre-Revolutionary War house. $3.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, 501 Virginia Ave (Hagerstown City Park), ☎ , fax: +1 301-745-3741, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Fr 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-4PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Free.
- Maryland Theatre, 21 S. Potomac St, ☎ , , fax: +1 301 791-6114. Symphony House that plays host to famous performers and all of the Maryland beauty pageants. Home to the Maryland Symphony Orchestra.
- Washington County Playhouse, 44 N. Potomac St, ☎ . Dinner Theatre.
- Academy Theatre Banquet & Conference Center, 58 E. Washington St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Theatre in restored Tusing Warehouse that houses the Potomac Playmakers community theatre group. Also includes 30,000 square feet of banquet and conference center space.
- The city is a focal point for mountain bikers, fishermen, canoeists and hunters interested in the plentiful outdoor recreational opportunities in the area. The Appalachian Trail and the C&O Canal Towpath are close by.
- Hagerstown Suns (Municipal Stadium), 274 Memorial Blvd. E. (from Dual Hwy., turn west on Mt. Aetna Road and continue until it becomes Memorial Blvd. at the stadium), ☎ . "A-level minor league baseball team, affiliated with the Washington Nationals." $5-$9.
- Black Rock Golf Course, 20025 Mt. Aetna Rd, ☎ . $26-$42/18 holes.
- Hagerstown Speedway, 15112 National Pike (6 miles West of Hagerstown), ☎ . Weekends, Feb.-Oct.. "One of the East Coast's premier dirt tracks."
- Prime Outlets Hagerstown, 495 Prime Outlets Blvd, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 10AM-7PM. The Prime Outlets is a large outdoor mall
- Valley Mall, 17301 Valley Mall Rd, ☎ . M-F 10AM-9PM, F-Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-6PM. The Valley Mall is one of two indoor malls in the Hagerstown Metropolitan area (the other is the Martinsburg Mall). There is over 900,000 square feet of retail space. The anchors are Macy's, The Bon-Ton, JCPenney, Sears, Regal Cinemas 16, Toys 'R' Us, and Old Navy.
- Alekos 2 Go, 511 Northern Ave (In North End.), ☎ . Greek and American cuisine. Drive-thru and pick-up services also available.
- Garfield's Casual Cafe, Valley Mall Rd (Inside the Valley Mall.). Has typical American cuisine. Good for a budget.
- Laila's Kitchen, 4 E. Franklin St (Located downtown.), ☎ . Serves Afghan and Iranian cuisine.
- The Plum, 6 Rochester Pl (Off W. Washington St.), ☎ , fax: +1 301 791-9559. M-F 7:30AM-2:30PM. Gourmet Deli sandwiches, salads, homemade soups, and homemade desserts. Great place for a quick, light, inexpensive lunch.
- Vegetarian's Pursuit Café, 55 West Oak Ridge Dr (Located at the Review & Herald Publishing Association.), ☎ . M-Th 11:30AM-1PM. Enjoy a healthy vegetarian meal with choices for a vegan or non-vegan diet. After lunch, take a tour of the press and see beautiful original artwork displayed. A bookstore is also available for browsing and purchasing.
- Bulls & Bears Restaurant and Pub, 38 S. Potomac St (In the Arts and Entertainment District across from Maryland Theatre), ☎ . Sun-Thu 11AM-9PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-11PM. Bulls & Bears presents Downtown Hagerstown with a unique experience featuring American cuisine in a New York style atmosphere. Attached is Traders on Potomac convenience store.
- Café del Sol, 1481 Salem Ave (Just off I-81 Exit 7A), ☎ . Serves Latin-American and Italian cuisine.
- Durango, 12 E. Washington St (Located downtown.), ☎ . Serves Spanish, Tex-Mex, and South American cuisine.
- Orchid Garden, 1481 Wesel Blvd (I-81 to Exit 5A Left on Massey Blvd. Restaurant on right.), ☎ . , M-Th 11AM-10:30PM, F-Sa 11AM-11:30PM, Su 11:30AM-10:30PM, kitchen closed from 2:30PM-4:30PM M-F. Pan-Asian restaurant specializing in Japanese, Korean, Korean BBQ, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai cuisines.
- Red Curry, 100 Railway Ln (Near Massey Boulevard.), ☎ . Serves Thai and Asian Fusion cuisine.
- Rhubarb House, 12 Public Square (Downtown.), ☎ . American cuisine.
- Schmankerl Stube, 58 S. Potomac St (Located in downtown Hagerstown), ☎ . Closed Mondays. Great Bavarian fare. Excellent selection of German beers on tap. Moderate.
- Taj India, 28 S. Potomac St (In the arts and entertainment district downtown.), ☎ . Indian and Indo-Chinese cuisine.
- Aqua 103, 12916 Conamar Drive, Suite 103 (Off Leitersburg Pike in the Lyles Center.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Monday - Friday 11AM - 11PM / Saturday 4:30PM - Midnight. New trendy, hip, and chic restaurant in Hagerstown's North End, serving "Progressive American" cuisine. Reservations recommended.
- Fireside Restaurant at Plaza Hotel, 1718 Underpass Way (Halfway Blvd.), ☎ . Dining at the Plaza Hotel will be a memorable experience. Attached to the Ramada Plaza Hotel, the Fireside Restaurant offers a full menu of steaks, seafood, and other American specialties in an upscale surrounding.
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ . Closed all day Sunday and Lunch Monday & Saturday, Lunch Tuesday - Friday 11:30AM – 2:30PM, Dinner Tuesday - Thursday 5PM – 9:30PM Friday & Saturday dinner 5PM – 10PM. Offering American cuisine using worldwide and local ingredients. Also known for its lounge. Attire: Smart and Reservations recommended for restaurant.
- Nick's Airport Inn, 14548 Pennsylvania Avenue (U.S. Route 11) (Located next to the Hagerstown Airport.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch Monday-Friday - 11AM - 2PM, Dinner Monday-Thursday 5PM-10PM, Dinner Friday & Saturday 5PM-10:30PM. Good atmosphere, great seafood, and fine dining. Reservations recommended.
- Sakura, 104 Railway Ln (near the Valley Plaza/Mall off I-81 Exit 5A), ☎ . Excellent sushi and hibachi served in a lively but elegant atmosphere.
- The Corner Pub, 158 South Mulberry St. Has a casual, friendly Irish pub atmosphere and features an excellent selection of draft beers from regional craft brewers and an impressive bottled beer selection that includes intelligently selected Belgian, English, and German classics. The only place in Hagerstown that rivals the beer quality is the bar at Schmankerl Stube.
- Gourmet Goat/GG's Restaurant & Martini Bar, 41 N. Potomac St (Downtown.), ☎ , fax: +1 301 790-0733, e-mail: email@example.com. Mon. 7AM-3PM; Tue. 7AM-6:30PM; Wed. & Thur. 7AM-9PM; Fri. 7AM-10PM, Sat. 9AM-10PM. Gourmet Deli/Coffee Shop, Catering Services, Fine Dining Restaurant, and Full Bar Specializing in Martinis.
- LJ's and the Kat Lounge, 1130 Conrad Ct (Off Eastern Blvd.), ☎ . Tuesday - Friday 11:30AM – 12AM Saturday 5PM – 12AM.
- Merlin's Tavern, 1003 W. Washington St. Has 20 taps --- mostly swill but a couple quality beers, a comfortably casual atmosphere, and frequent drink specials.
- Bennys Pub, 49 Eastern Blvd, ☎ . 11AM - 2AM M-S, Sunday close at Midnight. Best food in town, ice cold beer, Entertainment weekly. Nice, friendly atmosphere. Never a dull moment. You never feel like a stranger. $.
- Always Ron's, 29 N Burhans Blvd, ☎ . open 11AM daily, close M-Th-11PM Fri-Sat 1AM Sun-9PM. The largest selection of craft beers on tap in Washington County with a continuous rotation of beers, and crafted bottles and cans to go. Mixed drinks are also available.
- Best Western Grand Venice Hotel Wedding & Conference Center, 431 Dual Highway, ☎ . Full-service hotel with Divi's Lounge and Nightclub, Venetian Salon and Spa, Cellar Wine and Spirits, and Antietam Coffee and Gallery.
- Clarion Hotel and Conference Center Antietam Creek, 901 Dual Highway, ☎ . The largest full-service conference center in the area. HagerHall Conference & Event Center, Cancun Cantina nightclub, and Barefoot Bernie's restaurant adjoin hotel.
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, 17612 Valley Mall Rd (next to Valley Mall.), toll-free: , fax: +1 301 582-3529.
- Days Inn, 900 Dual Highway, ☎ , fax: +1 301 739-8347. Pacific Ocean Asian Seafood Buffet adjoins facility. New fitness center.
- Hagerstown Hotel and Conference Center (formerly Four Points Hotel by Sheraton Hagerstown), 1910 Dual Highway, toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. Zodiac Bar and Grill and Zodiac Pizza inside facility. $70.00+.
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 13726 Oliver Dr, ☎ .
- Ramada Plaza Hotel (Previously the Plaza Hotel), 1718 Underpass Way (near Halfway Blvd.), ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers Wyndham Rewards, Full Service 6-story hotel with an oversized indoor pool, Fireside Restaurant & Lounge. On-site Laundry Facilities.
- The Dagmar, Located on Summit Avenue in Downtown. One of Hagerstown's historical landmarks, this ten story hotel has a lot of history and used to be one of the tallest buildings in Hagerstown along with the twelve story Alexander House Tower in Public Square, until the Potomac Towers Apartments (15 stories) were built. Convenience store located inside facility.
- Ramada Plaza Hagerstown, 1718 Underpass Way, ☎ . On-site cocktail lounge, meeting and banquet facilities, and heated indoor pool. Free wifi and HBO. Provides extended stay amenities and services. Walking distance to restaurants. Within 2 miles of Hagerstown attractions.
- Sleep Inn & Suites Hagerstown, 18216 Col Henry K Douglas Dr., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Offering complimentary breakfast and hi-speed wireless internet. Indoor pool, fitness room and more.
- Whitetail Resort has alpine skiing on 16 trails, just across the state line in nearby Mercersburg in southern Pennsylvania.
- You could drive from Hagerstown to Antietam National Battlefield, Fort Frederick State Park, or the C & O Canal.
- Appalachian Trail offers walking paths and breathtaking scenery from atop South Mountain.
- If you want more scenery you could cross the Potomac River into West Virginia or tour nearby smaller towns like Sharpsburg, Boonsboro, or Smithsburg.
|Routes through Hagerstown|
|Washington, PA ← Hancock ←||W E||→ Frederick → Baltimore|
|Harrisburg ← Chambersburg ←||N S||→ Martinsburg → Roanoke|
|Cumberland ← Hancock ←||W E||→ Frederick → Baltimore|