Independence is a small city in Southeastern Kansas with rustic rural charm, a delightfully small downtown, a large WalMart Supercenter and pretty much nothing else.
- Take either US75N from Tulsa or Bartlesville or US169N from Tulsa/Coffeyville and then US160W.
- Walk or drive - there are a few public cab services. Distances are usually small.
- Downtown - many small shops with rural American charm
- Ralph Mitchell Zoo - Free entrance, small collection but well kept
- Riverside Park - Adjacent to the Zoo with a waterpark, toy train (tickets are just a quarter), mini-golf and excellent gardens, swings, children play areas and walking areas.
In October this tiny town hosts what they claim to be the largest annual celebration in Kansas: Neewollah.
This 10 day festival includes no less than three parades, a carnival, live music, pumpkin contests, a local Queen Pageant, and a production of a musical. Much of downtown is only accessible by foot during Neewollah.
Also of note to the theatrically minded is the William Inge Theatre Festival, held in late April, which annually selects and honors a playwright whose "body of work has had a profound impact on American Theatre."
Chains include Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Orschlins Farm & Home. There's a little strip mall by the Wal-Mart with a dollar store, shoe store, and Cato.
Downtown includes plenty of local shops, including Ace Hardware (with nick-nack section), Messengers Furniture, Twigs Floral & Gifts, and Radio Shack as well as many other shops.
Also downtown is an AT&T, US Cellular, and Verizon store - just in case you need to stop by to get your phone serviced while you're on the road traveling!
- Brothers Railroad Inn http://www.brothersrri.com (Downtown) - Wonderful Italian fare, very popular with the locals! Don't show up on a Friday without a reservation unless you're prepared to wait!
- John's Kitchen & Pub (Downtown) - Good steaks!
- Turbo's Bar & Grill (Downtown)
- Southgate Bar & Grill
- Half Pint's (East of town, formerly Kinsey's)
- Down Home Country Cooking
- Dairy Queen
- Pizza Hut
- Mi Tierra - Great Mexican food, a new local favorite!
- El Pueblito - Great Mexican food, has been in Independence for many years with a well established reputation for good food and good service.
- Taco Inn
- Calico Cafe (Downtown)
- Arby's (Downtown)
- Taco Bell (Downtown)
- Turbos Bar & Grill (Downtown)
- Uncle Jack's Bar and Grill (Downtown)
- Johns Kitchen & Pub (Downtown)
- Southgate Bar & Grill
- Apple Tree Inn (Downtown)
- Microtel (next to WalMart)
- There are better lodging facilities in Bartlesville, OK which is around 50 mins drive down US75.
- Elk Lake has camping facilities and excellent trekking trails.
|Routes through Independence|
|Topeka ← Junction N S ←||N S||→ Dewey → Tulsa|