Irving is a city in the Prairies and Lakes region of Texas. Part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Irving has experienced exponential growth over the past fifty years, and is home to a multitude of attractions of all types, from modern art to major sporting events. Founded in 1902 out of the remnants of the small community of Kit, Irving is now a bustling city of approximately 197,000 residents.
Irving is bordered on the northwest by Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport , one of the largest and busiest in the world. Access to the city from D/FW is quite easy, from Texas State Highway 183 (also known as Airport Freeway) on the south, and Texas State Highway 114 (John Carpenter Expressway) and Interstate 635 (Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway) on the north. Dallas' inner loop (Loop 12, or Walton Walker Blvd) borders the city on the east, and Irving is also the current southern terminus for the President George Bush Turnpike.
Additionally, Irving is traversed by Texas State Highway 183 which runs between Dallas and Ft. Worth. It connects to both I-35E and I-35W that lead to other major interstates that lead all over the United States.
Irving's streets are fairly easy to navigate, with most major thoroughfares laid out on a simple grid pattern. Major north-south streets are Belt Line Road, Story Road, MacArthur Blvd. and O'Connor Rd, and east-west include Walnut Hill Ln., Northgate Drive, Rochelle Rd., Irving Blvd. and Rock Island Road. During rush hour most of these streets (as well as the freeways serving the city) can become quite congested, so plan accordingly. For those who prefer to avoid traffic altogether, Irving is also well served by Dallas Area Rapid Transit, or DART.
Irving indeed has become a victim of any typical western Metropolis' urban sprawl, and a car is the best way to get around the city. However, the city is serviced quite well by DART, the local mass transit system in the Dallas area. Recently the Trinity Railway Express has begun operating a rail link between downtown Dallas and Fort Worth. The Trinity Railway Express makes two stops in Irving. While the fares are surprisingly reasonable ($1.25 to Dallas) the stops are infrecuent, especially on Saturdays and there is no Sunday service.
- The Mustangs of Las Colinas, 5215 N. O'Connor Blvd. Located in prestigious Williams Square in the Las Colinas developent of Irving, the mustangs nestled on an artificial river in an urban setting make a beautiful backdrop for photography.
- Irving Arts Center, 3333 N. MacArthur Blvd, ☎ . Zip 75062. or buy tickets online. Lyric Stage and Irving Community Theatre. Live performances of Broadway shows where every seat has a great view. Art exhibits, events and exhibitions. May thru October, 2011, Genghis Khan exhibit arriving from Mongolia and Russia.
While there is not necessarily anything in Irving that could not be done in an afternoon, there truly is a large mix of cultures from all over the world that fill this suburb. A town that once was an affluent place to be, has turned into a town of immigrants. This fusion has led to the development of restaurants and shopping centers that creates a suburban experience that is uniquely American.
- TPC Four Seasons. Is the home course for Dallas' PGA Tour event, The Byron Nelson Invitational. A very upscale course, the TPC is typically available only to guests at the Four Seasons Resort.
- Bear Creek Golf Club. In Irving is the closest course to D/FW Airport. It is very highly regarded and has 36 holes available. Many corporate events are hosted at Bear Creek.
- Years to Your Health, 503 E. 2nd St (On E. 2nd St between Britain Rd and Lucille St.), ☎ . Friday 10AM - 6PM, Saturday 10 - am - 6PM, Monday 10AM - 6PM. An alternative health store. One can find herbs, incense, crystals, and books on natural healing. This place was converted to a store from someone's small house so it has a unique feel to it.
- Big State Drug Store, Corner of Irving Blvd. and Main, Downtown Irving. This 1960's era drug store features an old fashioned soda fountain serves sandwiches, burgers and hand dipped malts and shakes.
- Villa's Grill ....Brazilian Grilled meats and sides served family style. .. 972-259-2939 .. Heritage District 137 S Main at Irving Blvd. zip 75060 lunch $11.90 dinner $18.90
- Delicias Brasil, 2315 W. Airport Freeway (at Story Road), ☎ . Homestyle Brazilian buffet sold by weight; authentic atmosphere.
- Taboon Grill, ☎ . Serves middle-eastern and Mediterranean food in a very small shop that looks like an ethnic convenience store from the outside. Located near the airport just west of Belt Line Rd and north of SR 183 (the Airport Fwy) in a strip-mall that the 70s forgot.
Beer and wine is now widely available, becoming available for sale in November 2008. In sharp contrast to before the law change, nearly all convenience and grocery stores have a large variety of beers and wines available. Only a handful of bars in the city allow patrons to smoke indoors - although most that do not allow this also have a patio where you can.
- Captain Nemo's, 1426 North Irving Heights Drive at Grauwyler, ☎ . This sub shop has been in Irving forever, serves unique sandwiches, best to get to go although there are tables but not much atmosphere, good food. Call ahead for faster service. cheap.
- Maac's Grill, 8150 N Macarthur Blvd, Irving, TX (Las Colinas), ☎ . Small, local bar located just north of I635 & MacArthur Blvd. Serves a wide variety of Americana foods, and has 49-cent wings most nights. $2 Draft beers and $3 mixed drinks. Popular (and packed) Karaoke nights on Tuesdays & Saturdays. Features a large heated, cooled, and covered patio with downtown Dallas visible on clear nights. Tons of TV's visible from any seat in the house, always tuned to various sports.
Friendly to an eclectic crowd - young & old, all races, colors, and creeds. Cheap.
- Blue Fish, 925 West John Carpenter Freeway, Irving, TX 75039 (Las Colinas), ☎ . 2AM. Blue Fish is a Sushi Bar. A more expensive, more impressive option for drinks and food located at 114 & MacArthur Blvd. Mid-Range.
- Cool River, 1045 Hidden Ridge Irving, Texas 75038 (MacArthur Blvd & Hidden Ridge), ☎ . 2AM. Cool River is upscale fine dining and drinks. Their bar is long and impressively deep - there is hardly anything you can not get from the bartenders. Drinks are expensive compared to the rest of Irving. Several very nice, high-end pool tables. Friday's and Saturday's expect a cover after 8PM of usually $10-$20. This is usually because of a live band playing. Food is excellent, but also pricey.
Can smoke inside. Offers Valet Parking. Expensive.
- Dallas Irving Backpackers, 214 West 6th St, ☎ . This hostel is a TRE train ride away from Union Station. It feels more like a student flat than a hotel, but the staff are friendly and the price is right. $21/night.
- Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport South/Irving Hotel, 2280 Valley View Ln (2 miles SE Driving directions: South Exit, merge left on 183 East. First Exit, Valley View Lane. Turn left on Valley View, hotel on right.), ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 1PM.
- Jefferson Street Bed and Breakfast Inn, 512 S Jefferson Street, Irving 75060, ☎ . Located in quiet residential neighborhood. Six miles east of DFW airport and accessible by Trinity Railway Express by using airport shuttle bus to Centrepoint Station. Six miles west of Love Field Airport. AAA approved, handicap accessible, private baths and air conditioning. Rates start at $85. 10 suites including a private cottage.
- DoubleTree by Hilton DFW Airport North, 4441 W. John Carpenter Freeway, ☎ . Complimentary 24-hour DFW airport shuttle. Complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access and in-room refrigerators & microwaves.
- NYLO Las Colinas Irving Texas Hotel, 1001 W Royal Lane, Irving, Texas 75039, ☎ . NYLO Dallas Las Colinas is a new hotel in Irving, Texas near Dallas featuring urban loft accommodations, hotel packages and free shuttle to Las Colinas area restaurants and boutique shopping.
- Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, 4949 Regent Blvd, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 1PM. This DFW Airport hotel offers amenities including on-site dining at the Courtyard Cafe, outdoor swimming pool, 24-hour fitness center, and free wireless Internet.
- AmeriSuites, ☎ . 333 W John W. Carpenter Frwy. Located in the Las Colinas technology corridor, situated between Fort Worth and Dallas.
- Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott, 8440 Freeport Parkway, ☎ . The Marriott DFW Airport hotel offers complimentary shuttles to and from the airport.
- Embassy Suites Hotel - DFW International Airport South, 4650 W Airport Freeway, ☎ . Just one mile south of Dallas DFW Airport and centrally located between Dallas and Fort Worth, with two DART stations within 2 miles of the hotel, taking you into downtown within minutes. Just off Highways 161 and 183, and I-35.
- Harvey Hotel - Airport, 4545 West John Carpenter Freeway, ☎ . 1.5 miles from Dallas' main airport, DFW Airport, 12 miles from downtown Dallas and 15 miles from the Dallas Convention Center.
- Harvey Suites - Airport, 4550 John Carpenter Freeway, ☎ . An all-suite hotel less than five minutes from Dallas' main airport, Dallas Fort Worth Airport, 12 miles from downtown Dallas and 15 miles from the Dallas Convention Center.
- Hawthorn Suites - Airport, 5000 Plaza Dr, ☎ . All-suite hotel, full of efficiency kitchens, exercise facilities, video cassette players and on-site guest laundry and valet service.
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites Irving, 5901 N. MacArthur Blvd, ☎ . Just five minutes from the DFW International Airport and at the heart of the DFW Metroplex.
- Holiday Inn Express Suites DFW Airport, 4235 W. Airport Freeway, ☎ .
 Located 2 miles from the DFW International Airport. All Suite Hotel recently renovated.
- MainStay Suites Irv/Mall, 2323 Imperial Dr, ☎ . Near DFW Airport and offers guests free wireless high-speed Internet.
- Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, 4545 W. John Carpenter Freeway, ☎ . 506 spacious guest rooms and suites adjacent to DFW International Airport.
- Residence Inn Las Colinas, 650 Walnut Hill, ☎ . ===
- Four Seasons Resort and Club Dallas, 4150 North MacArthur Blvd, ☎ , fax: +1 972 717-2550. Irving, TX 75038. This upscale luxurious resort opened up in 1986 and has hosted elite golf tournaments such as the EDS Byron Nelson Classic.
- Omni Mandalay Hotel at Las Colinas, 221 East Las Colinas Blvd, ☎ . This hotel is located by the Las Colinas Urban Center and is just 10-15 minutes from Dallas-Fort Worth Airport or Dallas Love Field Airport.
Irving is nestled deep in the heart of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Drive an hour or two in any direction to get out of the city and experience the real Texas in basically any small town you find. The Texas people read about and see in movies is still alive and well, but unfortunately not in the fifth largest urban area in the United States.