Izhevsk (Russian: Иже́вск ee-ZHEHFSK) is the capital and principal city of Udmurtia. Very few tourists make it to this city, but is an interesting destination for anyone interested in the Udmurt people or, for that matter, the world's most popular assault rifle, the AK-47 Kalashnikov. Izhevsk is a big industrial city (700,000 residents) most famous for its armaments factories. For its military importance, Izhevsk was a closed city to all foreigners until after the collapse of the Soviet Union. It is not the most attractive city, but there is exotic food to eat, Udmurt folk dances to watch, and friendly locals who probably have never met anyone from your country!
Izhevsk has an efficient, regular tram service around the central city. There are also trolley buses, buses and micro-buses. Taxis are also plentiful and reasonably priced.
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Trinity Cemetery Church
- Kalashnikov Museum
- Esplanade and Izhevsk Lake Embankment
- The People's Friendship Monument
- The Square of the 50th Anniversary of the October Revolution, including The Arsenal, a neoclassical building, which houses the Museum of Local Lore
- Izhmash Museum — exhibits featuring all sorts of locally produced armaments to motorcycles
- Udmurt Zoo
- Statues of Lenin, Pelmeni, Crocodile Gena
- Go see the popular local ice hockey team, Izhstal.
At the central market (beside the bus station) you can purchase many things, fruits, vegetables, meat and fish, or outside you will find clothing, fur hats and gloves household goods and a variety of other items.
- Club Kino — upscale pool hall with good Japanese food
- Kama, 3 Sovetskaya St, ☎ . 12:00–24:00. upscale Russian cuisine with a cigar bar
- Bistro Russian Bliny, 281 Kommunarov St, ☎ . Great cozy spot for delicious bliny and stuffed blinchiki
- Bistro U Nevskovo, 3 Sovetskaya St, ☎ . 11:00–23:00. Cheap, good food with karaoke
- Central Cafe, 223 Pushkinskaya St, ☎ . In the Central Hotel
- Coffee House Cafe Seven, 133 Krasnaya St, ☎ . 10:00–23:00. Good cheap spot for breakfast, cake, and/or espresso
- Babylon — upscale dance club with an internet cafe and food
- Pyatnitza (Friday) — large sports-themed dance club
- U-Dance — an older club in a bomb shelter; fairly laid back with pool rooms and gambling
- Iskra — dance club/bar/bowling alley
- Light Zone — popular dance club for the Izhevsk youth
- Central Hotel, 223 Pushkinskaya St, ☎ . Has a billiards room
- Hotel Telekom, 36 Dzerzhinskogo St., ☎ , fax: +7 3412 445204. Has a gym, swimming pool, games room, and internet cafe
- Park Hotel, Yakshur-Bodinsky Highway (5km outside the city center), ☎ , fax: +7 3412 599475. Located in a wooded park, has a restaurant, sauna, swimming pool, gym, and tennis courts
- Hotel Okolitsa, 23a Zhivsovhoz Izhevsk, ☎ . Business traveler-friendly hotel