Jyväskylä is a nice university city in Central Finland. It is the biggest city in the Finnish Lakeland area. Its population was about 85,000 until January 1, 2009, when the surrounding regions were merged with it, thus increasing the population of Jyväskylä to 130,000.
From the airport you can travel to the city by airport bus. Tickets cost €8, only cash payment (January 2013). The bus will leave the airport when all passengers have picked up their luggage. Reaching the airport for an outgoing flight is also possible by bus, the bus will leave from the front of the city bus station (Matkakeskus) one hour before the departure time of the flight.
You can also reach the city by taxi in 15–20 minutes. Catching or calling a taxi from the airport it will cost approx. €35 (March 2010) to get to the city center. If you are traveling alone, it's cheaper to order the taxi as a special "Airport-Taxi". Ordering an Airport-Taxi two hours in advance will lower the cost for one person down to €20, and a designated taxi driver with a name sign will be waiting at the airport for you. The service number for taxis in Jyväskylä area is +358 10 06900 (also for Airport-Taxi).
Jyväskylä is well connected by railroads to the other Finnish cities, and getting in by train is rather effortless. The journey from Helsinki takes from 2 hours 45 minutes to 3 1/2 hours depending on the train. A one way Helsinki - Jyväskylä train ticket for adults costs around €50, depending on the train type (March 2010).
The combined bus and train station ("Jyväskylä travel center" / "Jyväskylän matkakeskus") is open from 06:00 to 22:00 from Friday to Saturday and from 08:00 to 22:00 on Sundays. Train tickets are sold at ticket machines at all opening hours, but the booking office does not sell tickets in the early morning or late night.
Buses travel between Jyväskylä and other Finnish cities, as well as smaller destinations. When traveling between cities, trains are typically faster. An intercity bus ticket for adults from Jyväskylä to Helsinki or Helsinki-Vantaa Airport costs just under €50 (March 2010).
On Saturday a boat operates between Jyväskylä and Suolahti on the Keitele-Päijänne Canal . You need 4,5 to 6 h, ticket prices are: adult 36,00 € (2013), child under 12 years 18,00 €, child under 4 years is free. Transport of a bicycle 10,00 €, Buffet 21,00 € adults, 10,00 € children.
Jyväskylä has rather nice opportunities for getting around by foot or by bicycle, so if you're not in a hurry, you might want to just consider walking everywhere. Almost 1/3 of the population of Jyväskylä are students who mainly use bicycles to get around in the central area. Roads are also in a good condition, so you can explore the beautiful nature around the city.
Local buses travel between the different parts and suburbs of Jyväskylä. The single tickets are sold by the bus driver and the fares are relatively costly, about 3.20 € per trip. Night fare (23:00-04:00) is 6.00 €, making taxi a relatively cheaper option when travelling in groups of three or more. If you need to change buses during one trip, you have to show your receipt in the next bus (you'll have to get on to the next bus within one hour from buying the ticket).
If you plan to stay longer and want to use the bus service regularly, you might want to consider buying a bus card, which will be a bit cheaper (much cheaper if you are a student living in Jyväskylä). A 30-day bus card costs 61 € (without reduction) and it can be used as much as wanted during this 30-day period. No matter which part of Jyväskylä you want to get, there are approximately three buses leaving each hour (daytime).
Taxis can be usually be found waiting at the Jyväskylän matkakeskus or other taxi poles in the center of the city. If there are no taxis present, you have to call for one. The taxi service number in Jyväskylä area is +358 10 06900. The starting cost during daytime (Mon - Sat) is 5.10 € and on other times 8.00 € (March 2010). The cost per traveled kilometer varies between 1 - 2 € depending of the amount of passengers. The price list is always available in taxis.
- Harju. A ridge just next to the center of the town, has a park on its slopes. Good for picnics and such.
- Vesilinna (water tower), Ihantolantie 5. Building on the top of the ridge Harju. Free entry to the observation tower. Also a restaurant and museum of natural science operate in the buildings.
- Jyväskylä harbour, Satamakatu 8. The harbour is situated on a shorefront of Lake Jyväsjärvi.
- Ysitien Lemmikki Zoo, Palvaniementie 4-6 (Located 18 km from Jyväskylä centrum to east). Open only in the summer.. Small zoo with domestic animals in Leppälahti district. Adult €10.
- Toivolan Vanha Piha, Cygnaeuksenkatu 2, ☎ . Open Mon-Fri: 10-17 and Sat: 11-15. The Old Yard of Toivola is a small yard surrounded by craftsmen’s houses. There is a cafe, craft boutiques and sometimes market events.
Jyväskylä has many buildings by the famous architect Alvar Aalto. These include kaupunginteatteri (the town theater), some buildings in the main campus of the university and the Alvar Aalto Museum.
Exhibitions and art museums: Admission is free for all on Fridays to Jyväskylä Art Museum, Craft Museum of Finland and Museum of Central Finland. Ask for a student discount in the museums and galleries.
- Jyväskylä Art Museum, Kauppakatu 23.
- Craft Museum of Finland, Kauppakatu 25.
- Museum of Central Finland, Alvar Aallon katu 7. Adult €6, student €3.
- The Aviation Museum of Central Finland, Tikkakoskentie 125 (Tikkakoski district, 20 km from Jyväskylä to north). Small army airplanes inside a museum building. Adult €6.
There are several recreational 'nature paths' in Jyväskylä. They are mainly situated in forest areas.
- Tourujoki. A nature preservation area just a few hundred meters off the city center. The 700 meters long trail goes along river Tourujoki.
- Kangasvuori nature trail. The path can be entried in the back of the school Huhtasuon koulu. (trail map)
The city's web site has an event calendar for current and upcoming events.
The second-hand equipment for winter sports (ice-skates and skis) may be bought for example from SPR fleemarket in Palokka or Jyväskylä Sportti-Divari.
- Ice skating and skiing on Lake Jyväsjärvi (Between the Kuokkala bridge and Ylistö bridge). These are available and maintained in the winter once the ice is thick enough. The ice skating track is 2.5 km long, and the ski trail is 8 km long.
- Skiing and snowboarding in Laajavuori, Laajavuorentie 15, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. When there is snow. A small ski centre for downhill skiing and snowboarding with an extensive network of crosscountry skiing tracks in the vicinity.
Swimming and Beaches
Jyväskylä has plenty of lakes and these provide nice opportunities for swimming and general beach activities during the warm summer months. Some of them offer ice swimming during the winter.
- Vuorilampi (Laajavuori, close by to the ski centre). A small pond with usually relatively warm water. Swimming is possible also during the winter.
- Tuomiojärvi (north from the centre). Maybe the most popular beach in town and has two beach volleyball fields.
- Alban ranta (next to Hotel Alba and one of the university campuses.).
- Kolmisoppinen (or Korloppinen on Google Maps) (couple of kilometers southwest from the town, off Ronsuntaipaleentie road). Relatively small lake with a beach somewhat secluded compared to those nearer the town centre.
- Köhniönjärvi. A popular beach among the inhabitants of Köhniö and the nearby neighbourhoods. Buses 1 and 2 stop here.
- AaltoAlvari Aquatic Center, Pitkäkatu 2, e-mail: email@example.com. Swimming hall and gym.
- Boulderpaja, Ahjokatu 14, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indoor climbing without ropes. Single payment 10 € + 3 € climbing shoes rent. (Also series tickets available.).
During the summer, the marketplace (Yliopistonkatu 15) is a good place to visit if you want fresh vegetables or fish, flowers or craft items.
You'll definitely want to look for shopping opportunities at the Jyväskylä pedestrian precinct, which is located at the other end of Kauppakatu. There is several small boutiques and few shopping malls.
- Forum, Kauppakatu 20–22 and Vapaudenkatu 49–51.
- Jyväskeskus, Kauppakatu 29-31.
- Torikeskus, Yliopistonkatu 36-38.
- Panda factory shop, Asematie 2, Vaajakoski (Located 8 km from Jyväskylä centrum to west.). Panda is known for the liquorice and chocolate products.
Three antiquarian bookstores are situated in Kauppakatu.
- Päijänne antikvariaatti Oy, Kauppakatu 16, e-mail: email@example.com. The books are clearly categorized in a relatively large boutique. There is also books written in English.
- Jyväskylän Vanha Antikvariaatti, Kauppakatu 2, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is also a few flea markets worth visiting in Jyväskylä.
- Seppälän kirpputorimarket, Laukaantie 3. A big self-service flea market is situated about 6 km from the city centre and it's larger than 3000 m2. You can take a buss nr. 12 from the centre.
- kirpparilla.fi, Sorastajantie 1. Self-service flea market near to Seppälän kirpputorimarket.
- SPR-kirppis, Kirrinpolku 5. Charity flea market situated in Palokka about 8 km from city center to north. They sell clothes, books, dishes and furniture.
- Kirpputori Silinteri, Kirrinkuja 1 (Palokka district). Self-service flea market, there you may find clothes, books etc. goods.
- Kirpputori Timantti, Lohikoskentie 18. Small self-service flea market.
- Kirpputorikauppa, Ahjokatu 8. Self-service flea market in Seppälä district.
- Kierrätyskauppa, Sorastajantie 4, e-mail: email@example.com. Flea market sells furniture, books and clothes.
It's cheap to have lunch at the student restaurants. They are situated all over the university buildings. With a Finnish student card it costs about 2.6 euro. Without the card it costs about 5,5 euro. Student restaurants:
- Ilokivi, Keskussairaalantie 2. Vegan food is served every day.
- Lozzi, Keskussairaalantie 4.
- Piato, Mattilanniemi 2.
- Ylistö, Survontie 9.
- Wilhelmiina, Ahlmaninkatu 2.
There are many pizzerias offering large pizzas for as cheap as 4-5 €, guaranteed to fill your belly.
- Kasvisravintola Katriina, Kauppakatu 11 (near the city center). The only vegetarian restaurant in Jyväskylä. Unfortunately, it is open only for lunch between 11AM and 2PM.
- Hong Kong City, Kauppakatu 12 (across the street from Katrina). Serves up pretty decent Chinese cuisine every day until 11PM
- Grilli 21, Puistokatu 21. Located near the university serves up high quality traditional Finnish street food. Try the Taxari, deep fried french fries and sausages, with your choice of condiments, 4,5 €. Especially tasty after an evening of drinking. Open until 5AM weekends.
- Restaurant Pöllöwaari, Yliopistonkatu 23 (located at same place where Hotel Yöpuu is). Serves excellent lunch between 11AM - 2PM
- Pizzeria Maria. For less than 10 euro: selection from the salad bar, pizza, pasta, kebab, fallafel, and coffee. The pasta vegeteriana is excellent.
- Figaro, Asemakatu 4, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A good small restaurant located a bit off from city center, however it only servers lunch between 11AM to 3PM main courses 24,00 to 64,00 Euro.
Pubs, Bars and Nightclubs
Nightlife is centered in the downtown part of Kauppakatu and cross streets, some also in the uptown part of Kauppakatu, near the University. As most of the bars are situated on Kauppakatu or very close to it, pub crawls can be easily arranged in Jyväskylä. Start from Yläkaupunki and work your way down to the clubs in Alakaupunki!
A large number of bars, restaurants and nightclubs is located around the pedestrian district. Cheaper places in this area include Bar Explosive, Pub Anneli and Bar Passion. Suggested establishments:
- Bar Bra, Kauppakatu 35. The newest club in town offers the same as the others plus a beach section with hammocks. Open Tue-Sun to 4AM. with age limit of 20 on Fridays and 22 on Saturdays. Cover charge 5 €.
- Giggling Marlin, Kauppakatu 32. This club is easily recognizable by the long queue during weekends. As a part of a night club chain, this venue offers the same blend of danceable music and beautiful people you might have seen in the other SK bars. Cover charge €5.
- ESCAPE, Väinönkatu 32. This club can also be recognized of having a long queue during weekends. A big nightclub located in an old cinema with the normal blend of danceable music and beautiful people. Cover charge €2,5-5 depending on the night. Students can get some discounts.
- Old Brick's Inn, Kauppakatu 41. Situated in Vanha Tiilitalo (The Old Brick Building), is a pub with probably the biggest selection of beer in town.
- Shaker, Yliopistonkatu 38. The one and only cocktail bar in Jyväskylä. This bar was established in 2004 and it has been since twice nominated as one of the top 20 bars in Finland. The bartender is among the best flairtenders in Finland, so don't be surprised to see some neat tricks behind and over the counter.
If you prefer a more laid-back night scene than euro-disco hell, walk uphill along Kauppakatu until you are past the church. This is where Yläkaupunki begins. Suggested establishments:
- Sohwi, Vaasankatu 21. This pub has been around for a while and has still managed to stay fresh. Many students come here, maybe because the university is just next door or maybe because of the "rock hours". Food is also served. Open every day and until 2AM on weekends.
- Vakiopaine, Kauppakatu 6. Definitely the coolest spot in town to have a beer, afternoon or evening (happy hour is 9PM til 11PM every day.4 liter tap for 2€). Art shows on the walls change every 20 days or so. Live music occasionally. Theater in the cellar. Lots of board games available for play. Wireless internet.
- Vihreä Haltiatar, Kauppakatu 13. A quality establishment with over 100 beers to choose from. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Wireless internet. Awesome jukebox packed with an eclectic collection of old 45s. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.
- Ylä-Ruth, Seminaarinkatu 19. Just a block further from Vakiopaine. A true Finnish drinking experience, you'll hear the word "perkele" several times before your first beer is gone!
Wine, strong beer and spirits can only be purchased in Finland from State-owned Alko shops. The only Alko shop in the center of the city is at located at Asemakatu 8. Other locations of Alko shops in Jyväskylä area can be found from Alko website.
There are a few hotels in the vicinity of the train station. All the major hotel chains (Scandic, Cumulus, Sokos) can also be found in the city.
- Hotel Pension Kampus, Kauppakatu 11 A 4 (in central Jyväskylä), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Sgl: weekday €58, weekend €53. Dbl: weekday €72, weekend €66.
- Summer hotel Rentukka, Taitoniekantie 9, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is situated in the student village of Kortepohja, about 2 km from the city center. Sgl. €42, Dbl. €54.
- Hotel Omena, Vapaudenkatu 57.
- Hotel Alba, Ahlmaninkatu 4 (near the University campus), ☎ . A nice, mid-range budget hotel. Half of the rooms face the lake, while the other half face the city.
- Hotel Yöpuu, Yliopistonkatu 23 (near city center, at same place as Restaurant Pöllöwaari), ☎ . A small, beautiful boutique hotel (but expensive one!)
- Sokos Hotel Paviljonki, Lutakonaukio 10, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Sokos Hotel Jyväshovi, Kauppakatu 35, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sokos Hotel Alexandra, Hannikaisenkatu 35, e-mail: email@example.com.
- Grand Star Cafe, Kauppakatu 32. This coffee bar has few computers with Internet access for its customers. You can also play PS3, poker and some board games here.
The crime rate in Jyväskylä is generally low. However, it's best to avoid obviously drunk people during weekend nights after the bars close. Long queuing for taxis or late night snack sometimes frustrate some partygoers to seek fighting opponents from other people. Sometimes this results to a temporary conversion from a pedestrian district to fighting arena, but the common sight of patrolling police makes the occurrences more rare. Despite this, walking on the streets at night (or any time of day) is safe.
- Petäjävesi — in this town 40km to the west you can visit an UNESCO World Heritage Site - the old church.
|Routes through Jyväskylä|
|Rovaniemi ← Oulu ←||N S||→ Lahti → Helsinki|