- The Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport is a short drive to Nelspruit town.
The airport is well developed, with ATMs, cafes, souvenir shops and several car rental desks.
- Take the N4 highway from Pretoria. Have cash at hand for the toll gates.
Spoornet operates regular trains west to Johannesburg via Middelburg, Witbank and Pretoria, and east to Komatipoort on the border with Mozambique. From Komatipoort you can take a Mozambiquan train east to Maputo.
The train station is at the corner of Andrew and Henshall streets.
Travel around Nelspruit by car and get an eyefull of the beautiful scenery and meandering mountain passes. The area is still quite wild and while you are driving around at your leisure, you may view small game and even some vervet monkeys and baboons.
- Hover Dynamics Mpumalanga, Hangar9 Nelspruit Airfield, Nelspruit, 1240, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Offers helicopter tours, rides and trips in the Nelspruit and Mpumalanga area, including Kruger Park and other game reserves.
There are few attractions in Nelspruit itself, but the surrounding towns and area can make for an interesting drive.
- Lowveld National Botanical Gardens. It has a tropical atmosphere. It's on the road to White River before you get to the casino. Has several loop walks, bridges and waterfalls with several interpretive signs. There is a cost of admission, and like in many part of South Africa a tip for the car minders. It can feel quiet and isolated, and there is no real security to speak of.
- Try your luck at the casino.
There are three large shopping malls in Nelspruit, and like most of South Africa they are security patrolled. However, they are not open in the evenings.
- Riverside Mall (From the N4, turn into Daan Pienaar/White River Road (R40) towards White River. Follow this road for about 5km and the mall will be on your right.), ☎ , fax: +27 13 757-0085, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 9AM-6PM. A large regional shopping mall.
Nelspruit can be used as base for visitors touring the Kruger National Park and the nearby sights, like the Blyde River Canyon. There is a range of accommodation available here, but there is also a similar range near some of the Kruger gates like at Crocodile Gate and at Phalaborwa, which may be more suited to touring the park.
- Chantelle Younes, 27 Venn Street, ☎ .
- Crocodile Country Inn (On the N4, 20 km west of Nelspruit), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. From R680pps.
- Crocodile Nest Bed and Breakfast, N4 (12 km west of Nelspruit on the N4), ☎ . Accommodation lies within the huge, peaceful garden with acres of lawn creating wide open space. Large parking area and good security. All rooms, rondavels, regular bedrooms and cabins have bathrooms en suite, as well as heaters and fans. Several are equipped with tea/coffee facilities, fridge, television and microwave. From R280pppn.
It is not safe to walk around Nelspruit after dark. There are lots of traffic lights in Nelspruit, and vendors and beggars will approach your car when you are stopped. Keep your car doors locked at all times, and consider whether you may find dinner at your accommodation more pleasant than driving a distance through Nelspruit after dark.