New London (Connecticut)
New London is a city on the south eastern coast of Connecticut. It is most well-known for its rich maritime history and for being the location of the United States Coast Guard Academy and Connecticut College.
Interstate 95 and U.S. Highway 1 serve New London.
Greyhound and Peter Pan/Arrow Bus Lines have daily scheduled services to New London from nearby and out-of-state locations.
Amtrak New London Station (NLC), 27 Water St, +1-800-USA-RAIL, . NLC offers Acela Express service (first class service with business class seating, conference tables, cafe car and a seat cart service) and Regional service to and from East Coast cities.
- From Central Long Island
- Port Jefferson Ferry, Phone: +1 631 473-5138, .
- From Orient Point, Long Island, New York
- Cross Sound Ferry, Phone: +1 631 323-2525 or +1 860 443-5281, .
- T.F. Green Airport (PVD), (Exit 13 off Interstate 95), Warwick (Rhode Island), . About 1 hour away by car.
- Bradley International Airport (BDL), 11 Schoephoester Rd (Exit 40 off I-91), ☎ . Windsor Locks. About 1.5 hours away by car.
Regional Airport - No scheduled service - Only receive charter and private airplanes
Due to New London's small size, traveling by car is the easiest way to get around. Taxis are a close second and very popular, but they can be costly.
- Discover New London Shuttle, Eugene O’Neill Drive at Golden St, New London, CT 06320. Phone: +1 860 443-1209.
- Port City Taxi, 33 Belden St, New London, CT 06320. Phone: +1 860 444-9222.
- SEAT (Southeast Area Transit), 21 Rt. 12, Preston, CT 06365. Phone: +1 860 886-2631.
- Connecticut College Arboretum, 270 Mohegan Ave, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily sunrise to sunset. Free guided tours on Su at 2PM from May to October. Price: Free unless taking a private tour. About: The Arboretum Plant collections are broken down into four areas: the Native Plant Collection, the Caroline Black Garden, the Connecticut College Campus, and the Greenhouse. They contain incredible diversity of plant life, from the epiphytes and orchids of the tropical greenhouse to the pitcher plants and red maples of the wetlands.
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum, 625 Williams St, ☎ . Tu to Sa from 10AM-5PM and Su from 1PM-5PM. The permanent collections include over 10,000 paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, furniture and decorative arts, with an emphasis on American art from the 18th through 20th centuries. Adults: $8 / Seniors and Students: $7 / Children Under 12: FREE / New London Residents are free with ID.
- Custom House Maritime Museum, 150 Bank Street, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. April through December, we are open Tuesday through Sunday, from 1 to 5pm or by appointment. January through March, we are open Thursday through Sunday from 1 to 5 PM. The Custom House Maritime Museum is always FREE for current members, individuals with current military or USCG cadet ID and children under age 14 (with adult), admission is a $5 suggested donation for all others. Admission is by donation on Sunday. Telling the stories of New London's waterfront, the Custom House offers lighthouse tours and boat trips, an annual chowda'fest, artifacts relating to local lighthouses, US Customs and the Amistad, along with changing exhibitions and a Museum Shop.
- Hempstead Houses, 11 Hempstead St, ☎ . Open from mid-May through mid-October from 12PM-4PM. Colonial houses dating back as far as 1678.
- Monte Cristo Cottage, 325 Pequot Ave, ☎ . Open May 24 to September 1, Th to Sa from 12PM-4PM and Su from 1PM-3PM. General Admission: $7 / Members, Students, and Seniors: $5. About: Playwright Eugene O'Neill's home and setting for two of his plays.
- Garde Arts Center, 329 State St, ☎ . Ticket Prices: Vary with act. About: A restored Vaudeville/movie theatre with multiple arts programs.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy, 31 Mohegan Ave, ☎ . Tours, the academy museum, and watching the weekly Cadet Drill are points of interest.
- The Coast Guard training tallship (USCGC Eagle), ☎ . She is the training ship for the future Coast Guard officers and is usually in port for part of the year and tours are available.
- Ocean Beach Park, 1225 Ocean Ave, toll-free: , e-mail: BCGOBP@aol.com. SAND (7263). Contains: Beach, boardwalk, pool, splash pool, waterslide, arcade, playground, rides, mini-golf, nature walk and observation deck. Nightly entertainment. Bring around $100/day for a family of four.
- El N Gee Club, 86 Golden St (near Bank Street), ☎ . A small venue hosting mostly hardcore and punk rock shows. There is a small bar fenced off to prevent underage drinking. There is a decent sized stage and a dance floor. Bands that have come through include Skarhead, Death Threat, Stressbomb, Crowns of Kings and many more. This venue has endured the test of time, originally hosting punk shows in the 70's and 80's.
- Custom House Museum Shop, 150 Bank Street, ☎ . Nautical gifts; new & vintage maritime books; whale bottle openers, cards, & coffee mugs.
- Monte Cristo Bookshop, 13 Washington St, ☎ . New, Used, independent bookstore.
- New London Antiques Center and Seaport Imports, 123 Bank St, ☎ . New London's largest antique cooperative.
- Thames River Greenery, 70 State Street, ☎ . Two floors of greenery and gourmet products plus a coffee bar.
- Brie and Bleu, 84 Bank St, ☎ . Specialty cheeses and wine tastings.
- Caruso Music, 94 State St, ☎ . Pianos, guitars, music lessons, audio equipment, banjos, DJ gear, and much more.
- Spirit Gallery Tattoo, 207 Bank St, ☎ . Fine art gallery and custom tattoo studio with rotating art shows, one-of-a-kind-jewelry, and excellent customer service.
- Tony D's, 92 Huntington St, ☎ . Food: Italian and Continental. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Singapore Grille and Sushi Bar, 938 Bank St, ☎ . Food: Thai, Sinapore, and Sushi. Price Range: $25/person on average.
- The Bulkeley House Restaurant, 111 Bank St, ☎ . Food: Fine American. Price Range: $30/person on average.
- Captain Scott's Lobster Dock, 80 Hamilton St, ☎ . Food: Seafood. Price Range: $30/person on average.
- El Sombrero, 229 Jefferson Ave, ☎ . Food: Mexican. Price Range: $25/person on average.
- The Broken Yolk, 825 Montauk Ave, ☎ . Food: American Breakfast. Price Range: $15/person on average.
- Recovery Room, 445 Ocean Ave, ☎ . Food: Italian and Pizza. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Chili's Grill and Bar, 369 North Frontage Rd, ☎ . Food: American Cuisine. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Outback Steakhouse, 269 North Frontage Rd, ☎ . Food: American Cuisine. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Friendly's Ice Cream Shop, 175 Broad St, Phone: +1 860 443-1150. Everyone knows about Friendly's ice cream.
- Rita's Water Ice, 361 Coleman St, Phone: +1 860 444-1600. Craving frozen custard? There are a variety of flavors at Rita's!
- Michael's Dairy Downtown, 60 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 729-4866. Enjoy some ice-cream or frozen yogurt in this ice-cream parlor-style restaurant.
- Stash's Cafe, 95 Pequot Ave, ☎ . A great night spot with pool tables, live music, full bar.all for a $5 cover fee.
- Bean and Leaf, 13 Washington St, ☎ . Fresh coffee roasted right in front of you, and a very environmentally friendly business!
- Kelly's Coffee House, 256 South Frontage Rd, ☎ . Great place to sit and chat with low-priced coffee.
- Kream Martini Bar and Lounge, 318 State St, ☎ . A fun martini list paired with DJ's and live music.
Hotels in central New London can often be more expensive than those in Groton which lies just across the river. There is a group of hotels right across the river right at the other end of the Gold Star Bridge including the Groton Inn and Suites and the Super 8 Motel which will be closer to central New London than many of the cheaper hotels that are on the outskirts of the city proper. Central New London will be a 5-10 minute drive or a $10 cab ride from these Groton hotels.
- Red Roof Inn, 707 Colman St, ☎ , fax: +1 860 443-7154. I-95 Exit #82-A/83. From $50. Amenities: WIFI, pets allowed, cribs available, data ports, complimentary coffee, and kids under 17 stay free.
- Relax Inn and Suites, 380 Bayonet St, ☎ . Amenities: Free continental breakfast, pets allowed, free coffee, and high speed internet access. From $60.
- Holiday Inn, 269 North Frontage Rd, ☎ . Amenities: Health and fitness center, WIFI, and kids eat free. From $80.
- Radisson Hotel New London, 35 Governor Winthrop Blvd, ☎ , fax: +1 860 443-1239. Amenities: High speed internet, pool, fitness center, and WIFI. From $75.
- Lighthouse Inn Resort, 6 Guthrie Place, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 860 437-7027. Amenities: High speed internet, WIFI in lobby, outdoor pool, in-room massage, and shuttle service available. From $90.
- Colonel Eugene Kirkland House Bed and Breakfast, 51 Glenwood Ave, ☎ . Amenities: WIFI, private baths, tennis courts, spa services, and health club. From $100.
- Connecticut College, Private liberal arts college located on the Thames River.
- Mitchell College, A liberal arts college that sits on the Thames River.
- United States Coast Guard Academy, The military academy for the U.S. Coast Guard.
|Routes through New London|
|New Haven ← Old Saybrook ←||SW NE||→ Mystic → Providence|
|New Haven ← Waterford ←||S N||→ Groton → Providence|
|New Haven ← Waterford ←||S N||→ Groton → Providence|