New Smyrna Beach
New Smyrna Beach is a city in Volusia County, East Central Florida. New Smyrna Beach is located about 20 miles south of Daytona Beach along U.S. Highway 1. The towns of Edgewater and Oak Hill, and some unincorporated areas of Volusia County, such as Samsula, are considered to be part of the Greater New Smyrna Beach Area.
Blue skies meet over 13 miles of white sand in New Smyrna Beach, consistently voted one of the "Best Beaches". New Smyrna Beach lays claim to the best Florida offers - excellent backwater and offshore fishing, golf, historical sites, cultural events and eclectic shopping and dining experiences along historical Flagler Avenue and Canal Street. This beach is the "Shark Bite Capital of the World"
New Smyrna possesses a distinct hometown quality reflected in its cracker architecture, lush tropic landscape and community. Enjoy culinary delights from fresh seafood to steaks and pasta on the waterfront, or under an umbrella at a sidewalk cafe. At the end of the day, retire to a charming bed and breakfast inn, family-size condominium or oceanfront hotel.
New Smyrna Beach offers a humid, subtropical climate characterized by hot, humid summers and mild winters. The winter temperature very rarely drops below freezing. The summers are long and hot, with temperatures frequently in the upper 90's in July. Dangers include hurricanes from June until November.
Although New Smyrna Beach has a Municipal Airport, it is chiefly used by private aircraft. Commercial flights to this area should be sought arriving to either Daytona Beach International Airport (the closest), Orlando International Airport, or Jacksonville International Airport.
Amtrak offers the Amtrak Auto Train service with its southern Terminus located in Sanford (Florida), about 35 miles west of New Smyrna Beach. The Amtrak Auto Train carries passengers and automobiles between Sanford and Lorton, Virginia, effectively serving as a car-rail link to Florida from the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. You can easily drive your car into New Smyrna Beach after departing from the Auto Train.
Amtrak offers regular passenger service with the closest stop being near the city of DeLand. This stop is rather remote and is not recommended as an option.
Greyhound Bus Lines offers bus service to nearby Daytona Beach. Upon arrival at the Daytona Beach bus station, you will need to either transfer to a local Volusia County bus or take a taxicab to complete your trip to New Smyrna Beach.
New Smyrna Beach is easily accessed by car, as Interstate 95 passes by just west of the city, and U.S. Highway 1 passes through the center of the city, named as "Old Dixie Highway."
Votran is the name of the local Volusia County bus service, which also provides a public transit connection to nearby Daytona Beach. The buses offer service in New Smyrna Beach, M-Sa 7AM-7PM. Votran is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. Cost: $1.25 per trip, or $3 for a one-day bus pass (Valid for all routes).
Many historical and cultural sites make New Smyrna Beach noteworthy. From the Turnbull and Sugar Mill Ruins, to the Eldora State House, the area is rich in history.
- Flagler Avenue Park. The Flagler Avenue Park is a popular beachfront park just off historic Flagler Avenue, complete with its quaint shops and restaurants.
- Hiles boat ramp, 156 Hiles Blvd. Hiles boat ramp is a concrete single boat ramp off of Hiles Boulevard. It's the perfect ramp for canoes, and those eager to navigate the county's beautiful Intercoastal Waterway.
- Lake Ashby boat ramp, 1151 Commercial Ave. The boat ramp at Lake Ashby Park is open 22-hours-a-day, seven days-a-week. The launch site is on Commercial Avenue.
- Lake Ashby Park, 4150 Boy Scout Camp Road. Lake Ashby Park is a 124-acre rural setting park in the Osteen area that includes primitive tent camping, playground, volleyball court, nature/horse trails, boardwalks, fishing pier, pavilions with picnic tables and grills. It also offers a free public boat ramp nearby. The park is open sunrise to sunset and offers a 3,500 square foot play area for children that includes a variety of climbers, swings and ladders.
- Smyrna Dunes Park (County), ☎ . Open daily Sunrise to sunset. Perched on 250 acres of pristine land at the northern tip of the New Smyrna Beach peninsula, the area is surrounded by water on three sides. The park consists of five ecosystems (ocean, river, dunes, scrub zone, saltwater marsh). $3.50 per vehicle, $1 per person for vehicles with more than eight passengers.
- Sugar Mill Ruins, 600 Mission Drive.
- Doris Leeper Spruce Creek Preserve (County) This secluded wildlife preserve offers miles of lonely trails that lead to 60 foot sand cliffs that slope gracefully into Spruce Creek. These sand bluffs are among the largest in Florida.
Named one of "America's Top Small Cities for The Arts," New Smyrna is home to the Atlantic Center for the Arts, an artists-in-residence community and educational facility, the Harris House, the Little Theatre and Arts on Douglas. Frequent arts shows featuring visual and performing arts take place throughout the year.
- Galleria di Vetro, 310 Flagler Avenue, ☎ . Galleria di Vetro, a unique experience in glass is a thriving gallery and working studio. The Galleria specializes in architectural installations for both commercial and residential spaces, as well as custom pieces in any form. Featuring live glassblowing demonstrations, classes for all ages and world famous and local artists such as Hans Godo-Frabel, John Blazy, Shane Fero, Kyle Carni and many more.
- Atlantic Center for the Arts Founded by local artist Doris "Doc" Leeper, this tranquil artist seminary plays hosts to artists worldwide, and invites them to come and create art at the center. The center itself is an architectural marvel. Donations accepted, but admission is free. Exhibits are always coming and going. Open until 4pm.
- Arts on Douglas Is an upscale art gallery located on Doulgas Street. Pieces are for sale, but the enjoyable experience is always free.
Anglers at nearby Mosquito Lagoon have set international records with giant redfish catches. Deep-sea charters leave New Smyrna Beach daily, giving offshore fishers an easy way to wet a line in the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.
- Double G Charters, Capt. George Pisula 386-527-3386, Offshore deep-sea fishing charters, proven tournament winner, seasonally catching Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna, Grouper, Snapper and Cobia to name a few. 48' Custom Carolina Express. All bait & tackle included. Call for reservations.
- Eldorada Charters, +1 386 409-7380 - Capt. Brian Clancy is a full-time fishing guide on this Coast Guard licensed, National Park permitted and insured trip, specializing in red fishing. All ages and experience-levels welcome. Call for reservations.
- Fishin' Cove Bait & Tackle, 129 N. Riverside Drive, ☎ . A full-service marina, Fishin' Cove offers river fishing and deep-sea fishing charters and boat rentals. Open daily, 6AM-6PM.
- Floridays Fishing Excursions, 1-800-368-8340 - Experience the thrill of the strike, fishing for red fish and sea trout. Fly fishing trips are available. Call for reservations.
- Marker 57 at Cameron's Marina, 2001 S Riverside Drive, ☎ . Rentals include boats for flat bottom fishing. Tackle and bait shop and boat slip rentals. Open daily 6AM-6PM.
- Fish the Mosquito Lagoon , +1 386 214-3940 - Capt. Tony Pantuso is a full-time fishing guide specializing in light tackle inshore fishing for trophy redfish and seatrout.
- Hidden Lakes Golf Course, 35 Fairgreen Ave, ☎ .
- New Smyrna Municipal Golf Course, 1000 Wayne Ave, ☎ .
- Turnbull Bay Golf Course, 2600 Turnbull Estates Dr, ☎ .
- Flying B Ranch, 687 N Samsula Drive, ☎ . Flying B Ranch is a 33 acre horse facility, offering horseback riding and horse boarding.
- Pioneer Trail Reserve, 4311 Pioneer Trail, toll-free: . Pioneer Trail Reserve is a gated community of 21 equestrian ranches in a conservation area. Horse training and riding offered.
- Whispering Palms Farm, 137 State Road 415, ☎ . Offers horse boarding and riding lessons.
- New Smyrna Speedway. Corner of State Route 44 and 415, +1 386 427-4129. Half-mile race track offers regular schedule of FASCAR (Florida Association of Stock Car Auto Racing) races.
Scuba diving & snorkeling
- Sea Dogs Dive Center Guide & Services, 111 Flagler Ave, ☎ . Provides a 42 ft. custom Newton Dive Vessel, New Smyrna Beach's only U.S. Coast Guard Certified dive vessel. Relaxing SCUBA diving for up to 16. Divemaster or instructor on every trip. Full service PADI dive center. NITROX Fill station. Spearfishing specialists. Full range of PADI certifications. Beautiful reefs and countless wrecks. Largest lobsters on the east coast of U.S.
- Detwiler Park Tennis Center, Corner of Oakwood & Horton, +1 386 424-2175. Offers Five hard tennis courts. Free.
ATMs can be found throughout New Smyrna Beach. Usually larger hotels and convenience stores will have a "generic" ATM machine available; however, be forewarned about hidden service fees.
Flagler Avenue and Canal Street, which were recently renovated, feature several quaint shops and cafes. It should be no surprise that the second oldest city in Florida is also home to many antique shopping pavilions.
- Flagler Avenue and Canal Street Shops
- Indian River Village Shopping Center
- New Smyrna Beach Regional Shopping Center
- New Smyrna Shopping Plaza
- Ocean Village Square Shopping Center
- Winn-Dixie Plaza
- Heavenly, This is a healthier foods restaurant with sandwiches, wraps and Ice Cream. Located at the far end Flagler Ave from the Beach.
- Norwoods, 400 Second Avenue, ☎ . An institution in New Smyrna Beach that successfully made the change from fans, screen doors and smoked mullet to fine dining, wines, and air conditioning.
- Boston's Fish House, 1414 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . Seafood and Chicken.
- Chases on the Beach, 3401 South Atlantic Ave, ☎ . Florida seafood and luscious tropical drinks. Listen to live music while laying around the pool and sipping on a special cocktail.
- J Bs Fish Camp & Seafood Restaurant, 859 Pompano Avenue, ☎ . Seafood.
- Spanish River Grill, 737 East 3rd Ave, ☎ . A small intimate restaurant located in the Publix shopping center, featuring Eclectic, Nuevo Cuban cuisine.
- The Garlic, Located on 3rd avenue, ambience is unbeatable at the upscale Garlic. Featuring savory tuscan music. Al Fresco dining, and live music most nights. $30+ per person
- Ocean Club 3rd Avenue, Fine dining with a view of the Atlantic. Owned by the award winning team from Spanish River. $30 per person.
- Riverview Flagler Avenue Riverfront, Offers fine dining with a great view fo the Indian River. A favorite among visitors. $30 per person.
- Ocean's Seafood 3rd Avenue. This little place doesn't have a view, but what it does have is the best local seafood around, and at cheap prices to boot. Caught daily in local waters. $10-20 per person. Only open till 7 pm, so get there early.
- Heath's Natural Foods, 600 E. Third Ave. (corner of Cooper and Third Ave., Beachside), ☎ . 8:30-7:00. Health food store that offers wonderful organic prepared food to grab 'n' go. Delicious smoothies, wheat grass and vegetable juices available daily. The store also has a full array of grocery items, organic produce, gluten-free products & organic meats.
- New Smyrna Steakhouse.
- Symbads Steakhouse, 4166 S. Atlantic Ave, ☎ . 4pm-9pm. We are located in the Food Lion Plaza next to the Beachwear Outlet
- Gilley's Pub 44, 1889 State Road, ☎ . 44. Biker and sports bar, Features 3 full-service liquor bars including a Tiki Bar outside.
- Sopotnicks Cabbage Patch Bar, 549 Tomoka Farms Road, ☎ . Biker bar, on the west side of New Smyrna Beach. Popular destination during Daytona Beach Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
- Dolphin View Seafood, 107 N. Riverside Dr., ☎ . Dining right on the river
- The Breakers, 518 Flagler Ave, ☎ . This place is a beach bar/restaurant, far from fancy, with the oceanfront setting and great cheeseburgers.
- Beachcomber Motel, 2705 S. Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- Blue Heron Motel, 1204 N. Dixie Freeway, ☎ .
- Mr. Sandman Motel, 835 N. Dixie Freeway, ☎ .
- Ocean Air Motel, 1161 N. Dixie Freeway, ☎ . Ocean Air is noted for its convenience and cleanliness where you can relax by the pool or sit under our umbrellas and trees on our spacious front lawn.
- Pooles Motel, 635 N. Dixie Freeway, ☎ .
- Buena Vista Inn & Vacation Apartments, ☎ . 500 N. Causeway.
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 1401 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ . Located directly on the Atlantic Ocean, offering 102 suites featuring a private living area, ocean-side balcony and private bedrooms that can accommodate 6 to 8 guest. Seascape restaurant located on site.
- Islander Beach Resort, 1601 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- Oceania Beach Club and Suites, 421 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- Ocean Sands Beach Club, 3208 Hill Street, ☎ .
- Sea Horse Inn, 423 Flagler Avenue, ☎ .
- Sea Vista Motel, 1701 S. Atlantic Avenue, ☎ . Oceanfront motel with Tiki Bar and restaurant. Microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator in every room. Choice of motel rooms, efficiencies with full kitchens, studio apartments with king beds and sleeper sofa, one bedroom apartments.
- Sea Woods Condo, 4472 Sea Mist Drive, ☎ .
- Atlantic Plaza, 425 South Atlantic Avenue, ☎ . Located 58 steps from the best family beach in Florida. Twenty two 2 bedroom / 2 bath non smoking condo units.
- Coconut Palms Beach Resorts, 611 S Atlantic Avenue, ☎ .
- Minorca, Peninsula Drive, offers luxurious rentals, and the utmost in privacy. But it will cost you about $400 daily.
- New Smyrna Beach RV Park and Campground, Old Mission Road, 386-427-3581
res: 800-928-9962 (email: email@example.com), . Over 200 sites.
- Seven digit dialing is in effect for local calls in the New Smyrna Beach area. The local area code is 386.
- The New Smyrna Beach Visitors Bureau, 2238 State Route 44., 1-800-541-9621, . The official sales and marketing organization for New Smyrna Beach and surrounding area of southeast Volusia County.
There are about 20 radio stations located in Volusia County.
- WSBB, 1230 AM, New Smyrna Beach, Standards
- WKTO, 88.9 FM, Edgewater, Religious
- WJLU, 89.7 FM, New Smyrna Beach, Religious
- WKRO , 93.1 FM, Edgewater, Country
- WLGM, 95.3 FM, Edgewater
- Just south of New Smyrna lies the Canaveral National Seashore, which offers excellent swimming, bird watching, hiking and more.
- Daytona Beach - New Smyrna's famous neighbor to the North offers NASCAR racing and other special events.
- Daytona Beach Shores - A quiet, small city located North of New Smyrna along the Daytona Beach peninsula.
- Ponce Inlet - A scenic fishing village located to the North, on the southern tip of the next beach peninsula. Here you will find the historic Ponce Inlet Lighthouse, Marine Science Center, local charter fishing boats, along with several of the area's best seafood restaurants.
- Port Orange - A quiet, but rapidly growing city just North of New Smyrna on the mainland, where you can enjoy Golf and Tennis.
|Routes through New Smyrna Beach|
|Daytona Beach ← Port Orange ←||N S||→ Mims → West Palm Beach|
|Daytona Beach ← Port Orange ←||N S||→ Mims → West Palm Beach|
|Daytona Beach ← Port Orange ←||N S||→ Mims → West Palm Beach|