- This article is an itinerary.
- Würzburg: Most important sights are the Fortress Marienberg and the Würzburg Residence.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is well known for its well-preserved medieval old town.
- Dinkelsbühl: St. George's Minster and St. Paul's
- Augsburg: Town hall with the "Der goldene Saal"
- Füssen: Castles Schwangau, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau
The towns of Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are the only towns in Germany which still have a completely established city wall.
Other destinations 
The Romantic Road is intersected by the Castle Road (German: Burgstrasse).
The term "Romantic Road" was first used in around the 1950s in the American-occupied section of Germany. The name was initially known predominantly among American soldiers, who took their families on vacation there. The route is now popular with all nationalities. Signs can nowadays even be seen in Japanese.
More info can be obtained from the Touristik Arbeitsgemeinschaft Romantische Strasse, Waaggässlein 1, D-91550 Dinkelsbühl, phone +49 9851 551387, (firstname.lastname@example.org). 
Get in 
Get around 
The Europabus  operates along the Romantischestrasse between April and October. €58.50 is the adult fare one way from Würzburg to Füssen.
Those with more time on their hands can travel at a more leisurely pace by bicycle along the 420-km stretch of road in about ten days. Guided tours are also available to take some of the stress out of the journey—they will take care of your luggage and accommodation, and you can travel in their bus when it rains.
Most of the destinations along the Romantic Road can also be reached by train. 
The best-known places along the route are Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Baroque city of Würzburg (a major wine region), Füssen (at the foot of the Alps), Augsburg, and the small but delightful town of Dinkelsbühl.
- Walk around the old town walls, visit the medieval torture museum and buy Christmas decorations in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
- Visit the cathedral and sample wines in Würzburg.
- Visit the Crater Museum near Nördlingen.
- See the fairy-tale castle of Neuschwanstein near Füssen.
- German food
- German beer. Try the Radler (beer mixed with lemonade/soda) if you are cycling.
- Sample wine from the distinctive Bocksbeutel in Würzburg.
Stay safe 
Observe the road rules.